Like Tree1Likes

Thread: How to change a Tissot Touch Expert Battery with Pics?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How to change a Tissot Touch Expert Battery with Pics?

I bought one of these recently and the display started to say batt?

So I read the manual and obviously it said change the battery.

Now because my watch is out of warranty I was not going to take it to a local watch shop.

I did however ask my local shop and they sad it would have to be sent to Tissot for a charge of 45 and would take approx 2 weeks?

Eh!

I did several searches on the web to no avail

So here we go

NOTE! I am not liable for any damage done to anyones watch.

This is just how I did it, please do this at your own risk.

First I put the watch into sleep mode.

This is done by Activating the Crystal and navigating to the opt display.

Then press the T button.

Now tap the centre of the crystal until the word sleep displays and wait approx 10sec.

Both the hour and second hands should move to the 12 o'clock positions and the display will go blank.

The watch can be taken out of this mode by pressing the T button again.

Now remove the 4 flat head screws carefully. I did this in a criss cross manner.

Now carefully lift the backplate to one side.

This is what you should see.
    Now again lift this plate off very carefully making sure NOT! to touch the sensor "the circle on this plate"

as you can see on the back of the inside plate there is some sort of circuit board. DON'T TOUCH IT!

Now you should see this.
    My watch had what I think was the original CR2032 Renata battery.
    Carefully remove the very small flat head screw holding the battery securing plate in place and put somewhere safe.

Now you can carefully prise the battery out from approx the 4 o'clock position where you can see a small recess.

I have replaced it with a Duracell for the time being.
    I have ordered a direct replacement and when this arrives i'll repeat this process.

At this point you could very carefully apply some silicone to the black seal to help waterproofing.
    I have not done this yet as i will be replacing the battery again very soon.
    I suppose you could even go as far as replacing this seal?
    I don't use my watch in water so i won't be doing this.
    Now carefully place the internal backplate in the correctly aligned position followed by the external backplate.
    Now put the 4 screws back in place again being very careful not to cross thread them.
    Now press the T Button and your watch should come back on.
    You may have to re-set the time, date and possibly sync the analogue hands to the digital display.
    I hope this helps.
    I am by no means an expert.
    If anyone has any comments i'm more than happy to amend what i have written.
    Last edited by Viperpsych; July 28th, 2012 at 14:37.
    User_Refined likes this.

Re: How to change a Tissot Touch Expert Battery with Pics?

GREAT job! I have performed a battery change on the Expert model as well, I did it just as you did. Thanks again for posting the pics, it should really help others, as it is not worth sending it in for the money and down time, of course unless it is still under warranty. Thanks again, Gary.

My Jeweller tried to do mine, however it still says bAtt even though it was a fully charged new battery. Any ideas to why its not working?

thanks for the detailed pictures, they gave me the confidence to do change the batteries on my T-Touch Expert.
    I was not able to unscrew the tiny screw holding the battery, I have some tiny screwdrivers but they were all too big for this screw.
    But it was possible to move the holder away from the battery so that the battery was accessible.
    In my haste I did put the backplate on the wrong way but I'm gonna wait for another battery exchange to correct it, calibrating and setting time and date is too much of a hassle.

What is this silicone you mention for the seal and where can it be bought?

(ps appart from the backplate orientation mine is back in perfect working order, no more flashing batt and all sensors are working)
    Last edited by tissot1; November 2nd, 2012 at 15:36.

Quote Originally Posted by sgh77 View Post
    My Jeweller tried to do mine, however it still says bAtt even though it was a fully charged new battery. Any ideas to why its not working?
    Hey, I have the very same issue with mine.
    Jeweller put a brand new, fully charged Maxell CR2032 in it, but the watch is still dead. When T button is pressed, it shows "bAtt" for 5 seconds, and returns to "dead" condition.

The watch was working perfectly until the battery died (it started warnings 3 months ago).

Does anyone know what is happening?T

Quote Originally Posted by ricardofreire View Post
    Hey, I have the very same issue with mine.
    Jeweller put a brand new, fully charged Maxell CR2032 in it, but the watch is still dead. When T button is pressed, it shows "bAtt" for 5 seconds, and returns to "dead" condition.

The watch was working perfectly until the battery died (it started warnings 3 months ago).

Does anyone know what is happening?T
    Make sure the connecting strap is properly touching the battery? You can take a clean eraser on the tip of a pencil and just rub lightly and turn on the base of where the battery sits when it's out and on the underside of the top strap. This can help clean off any oxidation to make a better connection (can do the same on both sides of the battery also to clean off any residue.

I would not mess with the silicone grease, which can be purchased at any auto parts store or Radio Shack in the U.S. Most people will put way too much of this on the gasket, which will cause more problems than it will solve. And it really won't do all that much for water resistance anyway. It is very difficult to get the correct, evenly applied amount of silicone grease on a watch gasket. Don't worry about it.

Sodiac
    Too many watches, only two wrists and never enough time...

did this work for you ricardo?

Thanks OP and others for the info in this thread, just changed the battery in my Expert after 3 years and replaced it with another Renata. It was a good opportunity to clean the backplate which was fairly grimy. All in all a straightforward job, except for the battery cover which I had to slide out of the way as the screw was too small to get at.

I wanted to thank you for your wonderfully documented posting which is so helpful for us. I did everything according to your direction but when I completed re-assembly, I could not get the display to come back on. I opened the case again and removed the battery. Upon measuring the battery voltage I found that the voltage was well below the rated 3V. I blamed this on batteries I had recently purchased online and purchase a very fresh Duracell 2032 battery. This one also failed to bring back the display. Very frustrated, I took another look at the original Renata and noticed as round, transparent piece of clear insulation material stuck to the negative side. It has a small cut out to allow the straight gold contact which comes from below to contact the negative side of the battery. Then the light (a weak one in my mind) came on. The insulation material belongs inside the watch underneath the battery and keeps the battery from shorting out. It had gotten stuck on the Renata Battery. Once I reinserted the insulator and re-assembled with a fresh battery, all was well. No wonder my batteries were going dead fast. Hope this helps others. The insulator is in your eight photo, with battery removed, notice the inverted letter "N", which is also on my insulator pad. Glad I didn't toss my dead Renata. If you do, I suppose that you can make you own by putting tape on the battery and making a small cut out.

Thanks for a very helpful thread.
    OP and others, how is your Tissot T-Touch Expert performing, how accurate it is, any issues?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information