My PRS516...Pictures and a Pseudo-review

Thread: My PRS516...Pictures and a Pseudo-review

-->
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My PRS516...Pictures and a Pseudo-review

Ok so here are some pictures of my latest acquisition; a PRS516 auto. I couldn’t help doing somewhat of a review on the esthetics of this watch as I have quickly become very fond of it. Not an expert on movements or finishing by any means so will not include any of that info. here hence why I’m calling this a pseudo review hehe…
    The dial of this watch has a clean, crisp sporty look to it right down from the dial markers with only a thin sliver of lume in the centre, through the choice of hands to the very clean minimalist font chosen. The combination of the red second hand against the black background is very striking and for someone like me, who enjoys just sitting back with my watch and being captivated by the ticking movement of the second hand, this combination only enhances the experience. The bezel again works a treat with the squared off edges and the choice of clear crisp white fonts.
    The brushed stainless steel bracelet is actually one of my favorite aspects of this watch. The machined sort of look with the large pieces gives the bracelet a very masculine almost industrial sort of look (the first two pictures are trying to capture this particular aspect of the watch). On the hand the bracelet gives a more sober and somewhat refined impression than some of those highly polished pieces (not knocking other people’s choices here. Only a personal opinion and part of why I love this watch)
    Also a big fan of the caseback with steering wheel type piece in between the sapphire and the movement which is in keeping with the sporty theme of this watch (not big on technical terms fellas so apologies). If the movement had been finished and decorated in the sporty theme I might have preferred to see the entire movement clearly but at the price range of the Tissot I hardly think that’s gonna happen. So this little addition is a perfect cheaper compromise to create a lovely caseback that in my humble opinion trumps many of the casebacks of far more expensive watches.
    A few minor issues for me which I would like to point out, but take nothing away from this watch. Not a huge fan of the T at the back end of the second hand that Tissot use in a lot of their watches…just doesn’t sit well with me. The crown whilst acceptable could have been better. I personally preferred the crown on my V8. And finally I’m not a huge fan of the way the lugs are abruptly cut off at that unusual angle. Would rather have had something more like the lugs on the V8.
    All in all I’m a big fan of this watch and intend to keep it for a bit. You can wear it casually on jeans as well as dress it up on a suit of sorts. Now I know the 40+ watch snobs will tell you that you need a refined piece with a leather strap underneath a suit but that’s not the way things are happening at the moment so at 27 I’m happy to follow the trend of big masculine watches on suits…So is this the perfect watch under $600 Au for the “one watch kinda guy”? Would love your thoughts…

A special thanks to my wife for the pictures. And here she is:

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 1411
Size:  218.5 KBName:  2.jpg
Views: 1377
Size:  261.7 KBName:  3.jpg
Views: 1376
Size:  186.3 KBName:  4.jpg
Views: 1387
Size:  203.8 KBName:  5.jpg
Views: 1371
Size:  236.8 KBName:  6.jpg
Views: 1365
Size:  186.2 KBName:  7.jpg
Views: 1407
Size:  263.3 KB
    Last edited by The Naf; April 23rd, 2012 at 03:57.
    One watch kinda guy
    "My watch does a lot more than just tell the time...
    it tells a life story..."

Re: My PRS516...Pictures and a Pseudo-review

Beautiful watch. Thank you for sharing your impressions with us. I have an older version and I like it a lot. Here is a bad cell phone shot of mine.

Name:  PRS516-lowres.JPG
Views: 1348
Size:  71.8 KB

It is a solid and affordable watch. My keeps very good time and has an impressive power reserve. I love how smooth the second hand sweep is.
    Congrats on your new watch!
    My modest collection:
    Omega Aqua Terra Quartz, Omega Seamaster Pro 2531.80, Omega Speedmaster Pro 3590.50,
    Tissot Le Locle Automatic, Tissot PRS516 Automatic, Tissot PRS516 Chrono Quartz, Tissot T-Touch
    Others: Swatch, Timex, Duke inabloc
    , Invicta 8926, vintage pocket watches and wristwatches

Incoming: ??

My (hopefully) attainable grail: Jaeger-LeCoultre Master Chronograph
    My dream watches: Jaeger-LeCoultre Duometre a Quantieme Lunaire
    (one can always dream!!!)

"If you know what you're doing... It's not research..."

Thank you kindly. Out of curiosity how old is your watch and whats the power reserve like?
    One watch kinda guy

Garden City Park, New York, United States

Like it Mr. Naf wear it in good health...

M
    MikeCfromLI
    NYC\LI

Quote Originally Posted by The Naf View Post
    Thank you kindly. Out of curiosity how old is your watch and whats the power reserve like?
    It is over 2 years old. While I have never really measured the power reserve, I wear this watch about 2-3 hours a day and never have to wind it, even if it sit in a drawer for a day or so. I would say the power reserve is about 40+ hours.
    My modest collection:
    Omega Aqua Terra Quartz, Omega Seamaster Pro 2531.80, Omega Speedmaster Pro 3590.50,
    Tissot Le Locle Automatic, Tissot PRS516 Automatic, Tissot PRS516 Chrono Quartz, Tissot T-Touch
    Others: Swatch, Timex, Duke inabloc
    , Invicta 8926, vintage pocket watches and wristwatches

Incoming: ??

My (hopefully) attainable grail: Jaeger-LeCoultre Master Chronograph
    My dream watches: Jaeger-LeCoultre Duometre a Quantieme Lunaire
    (one can always dream!!!)

"If you know what you're doing... It's not research..."

wow... that is impressive...thanks for the info.
    One watch kinda guy

Thanks for the review and special mention to your wife for the excellent photos!

Lee Meister
    Moderator - Tissot & Affordables
    Houston, Texas

What a long, strange trip it's been... - The Grateful Dead

Congrats Naf...

I've always liked the PRS516 range although i did just acquire a V8 model from a chap up your way. ;)
    BELL & ROSS - BR01-96 | CASIO - G Shock G-7900A-7 | ORIS - Oris Divers Small Second, Date | TISSOT - T Race-MotoGP | TIMEX - Indiglo Reef Gear

hehe...How does she go? I do miss her from time to time...
    Last edited by The Naf; April 26th, 2012 at 08:54.
    One watch kinda guy

Dont know tbh... :)

Still up in Brissy with it's unknowing owner. They are coming down mid next month with it but looks like ill have to put a leather strap on it before my mate can wear it.

I'll post a pic when I get it sorted!
    BELL & ROSS - BR01-96 | CASIO - G Shock G-7900A-7 | ORIS - Oris Divers Small Second, Date | TISSOT - T Race-MotoGP | TIMEX - Indiglo Reef Gear

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information