Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Tissot PR 516 Mens' Blue Automatic Heritage watch review

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tissot PR 516 Mens' Blue Automatic Heritage watch review

This is a short review of my lovely new Tissot Heritage PR 516 watch with blue dial. I've had this watch on my wrist for a week now, and I have loved every minute of it. After seeing a review of this watch in the April 2013 edition of WatchTime I began looking for one. The blue dialed version really caught my eye, but my local AD did not have it, and was not willing to order it at his expense. So, on a business trip to San Antonio I looked high and low but could not find any version of this watch. Although I preferred to see it before buying it, I finally caved in and ordered it from my local AD. I did not, however, want the stock bracelet so I ordered a Hadley-Roma mesh bracelet in addition to the watch. In just under a week the watch and bracelet were ready for me to pick up.

Here are the details:

• 40 mm diameter, 13 mm thick, 50 mm lug to lug, 8 mm crown
    • blue sunburst dial (more on this later)
    • beveled and domed sapphire crystal-no antireflective coating (more on this later too)
    • large push-in crown with large "T" signature
    • mineral glass case back showcasing a steering wheel and the movement. The steering wheel is engraved with a box "T" emblem and the text "PR 516 Automatic". The movement is a base model ETA 2836-2 without any decoration.
    • the indices float
    • lume, presumably Superluminova covers part of the hands, and also the indices. The lume on the hands is white, but the thin stripe of lume on the indices is grey, and it was a surprise to see them light up at night!
    • 100 meters WR
    • the dial has a box Tissot "T" logo and the words "Tissot, visodate, automatic, seastar, PR 516, and GL" Visodate refers to the relatively large and highly legible day/date feature. Automatic is, well, you know. Seastar refers to previous models, but this is a sea faring watch only so long as you don't use it for SCUBA diving. PR 516 means Particularly Robust errr 516. I have not found out what 516 means. It may be a reference to the year this line was created, 1956. GL means Grand Luxe, which was originally launched in 1965.

OK, now for five observations.

First, it is a very cool watch that looks fantastic on the mesh bracelet. Second, there are reflections everywhere. Strangely the reflections do not detract from the beauty of the watch, but they do make it very hard to photograph. Must be something about how the eye sees differently than the camera. Third, the blue sunburst dial looks black or very dark blue in almost every lighting situation. I was hoping for a dial as vibrant as that on my two-tone submariner, but the Tissot is much more subtle. Some photos online show a vibrant blue sunburst. Given the reflections and the subdued effect I must give mad props to any photographer who captures the effect. In the right light, there is a blue effect, but it is a quiet kind of personal pleasure, and it is fleeting. Fourth, the water resistance is important to me. At 100 meters the WR is not quite dive ready, but it is more than enough for a swim or whatever. Not having to take off my watch because water is around is a huge plus for my lifestyle. Fifth, the homage is very complete, but modern at the same time. Tissot has done an excellent job combining the best design features of the original with many little touches that modern watch lovers expect and desire.

Now for some photos. First please see this excellent post by ditoy_eagle for a more thorough photo tour of all the PR 516 Heritage editions. Next are my pics both on, and off my 7.5" wrist.

Name:  photo-1.JPG
Views: 19138
Size:  174.3 KB

Name:  photo-2.JPG
Views: 15486
Size:  172.9 KB

Name:  photo-3.JPG
Views: 12321
Size:  279.5 KB

Name:  photo-4.JPG
Views: 13246
Size:  267.9 KB

Name:  photo-6.JPG
Views: 11416
Size:  213.3 KB

Name:  photo.JPG
Views: 12691
Size:  223.8 KB

For micro brand money this is an excellent value for an actual Swiss watch. The style is 60's but fresh. Even it is not your cup of tea at least it has style. There are many details to enjoy on the watch, even seeing the day and date reflect off the sides of their windows is neat-o. The production quality is so high that it easily withstands microscopic inspection. It looks formal or sporting depending on how you dress. There are not too many around, so if you get one you'll be the only cook kid. As if all that was not good enough even the wife likes it, which is a huge plus!
    johnj, song31, asadtiger and 16 others like this.

Re: Tissot PR 516 Mens' Blue Automatic Heritage watch review

Very nice indeed. Looks right at home on the mesh and your wrist. Enjoy!

I have one as well. I didn't like the bracelet that came with it so my AD ordered me the leather one at no charge to me and I ordered a stainless steel deployant bracelet as well off ebay. I love the look of the blue face on this watch.

I hope you enjoy yours as much as I will mine.

Nice review.

Dean

Just bought one on ebay, with AD Tissot warranty included! Anyone have suggestions on some dark brown or tan straps that would look nice on this? Not a fan of the included metal bracelet/rally holes, so I'll be selling the bracelet here once I get a replacement strap.

Something like this maybe: http://www.watch-band-center.com/wat...Pensa-20m.html

or

http://www.panatime.com/nechbrwiwhst.html

or

Oxford - Cognac

or

Oxford - Mahogany

or

Toscana - Cognac - Calf Leather

The guy I bought it from put it on a Hirsch golden brown Liberty for me! Still think I may buy another strap also, probably the one from Panatime.

Name:  1160220d1374174252-any-pictures-nice-tissots-here-img_0927.jpg
Views: 10907
Size:  71.5 KB
    Last edited by rbf1138; July 18th, 2013 at 22:37.
    Berkut, mitadoc and jlondono77 like this.

So you'd like a light brown strap then?

Hirsch make some nice straps - I previously had a very nice dark brown rally strap from them on my Prs516 chrono. Turns out I loved the strap more than the busy dial and it had to go - to fund the eventual purchase of a PR516 GL just like yours I hope.

If I was putting my two cents in I'd suggest holding on to the original bracelet. It will make selling it one day much easier and if it's a keeper your kids will appreciate the funky Swiss cheese bracelet when one of them inherits it.

Haha, well this was the strap he had that he could ship with the watch nearest to what I'd ideally like on it. I'll probably still buy one or two others, like I said, with a deeper reddish/brown like that Panatime chestnut. And yeah, I was thinking maybe I should keep the metal bracelet in case I do sell it. I'm wondering how scarce this watch will be in a year or two, or if they're still regularly making and selling this model.

Quote Originally Posted by tritto View Post
    So you'd like a light brown strap then?

Hirsch make some nice straps - I previously had a very nice dark brown rally strap from them on my Prs516 chrono. Turns out I loved the strap more than the busy dial and it had to go - to fund the eventual purchase of a PR516 GL just like yours I hope.

If I was putting my two cents in I'd suggest holding on to the original bracelet. It will make selling it one day much easier and if it's a keeper your kids will appreciate the funky Swiss cheese bracelet when one of them inherits it.
    Last edited by rbf1138; July 18th, 2013 at 23:14.

Thumbs Up Re: Tissot PR 516 Mens' Blue Automatic Heritage watch review

Hi Jandrese,

Quote Originally Posted by jandrese View Post
    This is a short review of my lovely new Tissot Heritage PR 516 watch with blue dial. I've had this watch on my wrist for a week now, and I have loved every minute of it.

OK, now for five observations.

* First, it is a very cool watch that looks fantastic on the mesh bracelet.
    * Second, there are reflections everywhere. Strangely the reflections do not detract from the beauty of the watch, but they do make it very hard to photograph.
    * Third, the blue sunburst dial looks black or very dark blue in almost every lighting situation. I was hoping for a dial as vibrant as that on my two-tone submariner, but the Tissot is much more subtle. In the right light, there is a blue effect, but it is a quiet kind of personal pleasure, and it is fleeting.
    * Fourth, the water resistance is important to me. At 100 meters the WR is not quite dive ready, but it is more than enough for a swim or whatever. Not having to take off my watch because water is around is a huge plus for my lifestyle.
    * Fifth, the homage is very complete, but modern at the same time. Tissot has done an excellent job combining the best design features of the original with many little touches that modern watch lovers expect and desire.
    Thoroughly excellent review. I can just hear everyone running out to order one now.
    I also think the mesh bracelet was an inspired choice well done and thank you for the fantastic photo essay too.

Everyone loves the pictures.

Mine just arrived and it looks absolutely incredible, even nicer than I had imagined. It may be that it just needs more of a charge, but the hour markers definitely don't appear to have lume. Could you try and snap a picture of your watch lit up? The hands are bright, but the silver/gray hour indices aren't even faintly luminated.

Name:  IMG_1367 (2).JPG
Views: 10797
Size:  101.5 KB
    Last edited by rbf1138; July 20th, 2013 at 23:43.

Nice review.

I recently saw an original model in a training video from the 1970s I think it was.

("Shooting for Survival.")

It was on the wrist of an F.B.I. firearms instructor.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity here and there. Not the other way around." ~ John Cleese.

hello, very nice PR515, i am thinking of getting one too... can i ask you, where did you bought that mesh and how is it thick? thanx

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information