Terry Allison Kickstarter (Scam?) - Page 6
Like Tree174Likes

Thread: Terry Allison Kickstarter (Scam?)

Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Re: Terry Allison Kickstarter (Scam?)

Is it just me or Americans can't spell "tourbillon" properly? They just skip double "L"-s like they aren't even there. How come they don't spell "dollars" the same way by skipping the "L"-s almost entirely? Weird...
    Last edited by RejZoR; July 11th, 2013 at 09:44.
    Quartz: Bulova Accutron II 96B213 | Casio Baby-G BGA-301-1AER | Casio G-Shock GW-M5610BC-1ER | Casio Futurist LA-201W-2A2 & LA-201W-1B | Casio Oceanus OCW-S100-1AJF | Citizen Titanium BM7170-53L | Phosphor Appear MD013G & MD012G | Seiko Spirit E-Ink SBPA001
    Mechanical: Fossil Boyfriend ME3069 | Orient M-Force Red Beast EL06001H | Orient Mako CEM65001B | Orient Mako XL CEM75004B |
    Seiko 5 SNXS77 | Seiko Baby Snow Monster SRP481K1 | Seiko Baby GrandSeiko SARB035 | Sea-Gull M163S | Sea-Gull M182SK Red | Steinhart Ocean One Black Ceramic

Quote Originally Posted by RejZoR View Post
    Is it just me or Americans can't spell "tourbillon" properly? They just skip double "L"-s like they aren't even there. How come they don't spell "dollars" the same way by skipping the "L"-s almost entirely? Weird...
    I tink its just ewe. we's a smart race of peeples. all of franc and parts of inglund know how gr8t we R. we spel $$$ write cause we phat, greety lil' pigies.

So I guess I'll be the first to admit I got scammed by this guy. I have no doubt after the events of yesterday and TA's faux nervous breakdown that he's a professional scammer and fraud. I should have done my homework and looked more diligently at what he was claiming to offer. I honestly believed kickstarter had more oversight to protect investors. That being said, I was still pretty naive when it came to watches and hadn't yet discovered WUS. I almost pulled my pledge when I found designs for his "calendar" offered by some of the Chinese homage brands. After emailing him about it he said the watch was "51% swiss" in keeping with swiss regulations and that some of the parts did come from Asia. I gave him the benefit of the doubt and didn't pull my pledge. I'm trying to look at this as a $195 lesson in vigilance.
    Last edited by Jcp311; July 11th, 2013 at 11:42.
    Tudor: Pelagos Omega: Speedmaster Professional 3570.50 Sinn: 103 ST, 203 ST Crepas: Cayman 3000 Archimede: Outdoor Protect Tempest: Commodore Boschett: Harpoon UNIMATIC: U1-B Dagaz: T-II Typhoon Edox: Hydrosub Steinhart: Ocean Vintage Military, Ocean Vintage Red, Ocean Vintage GMT Halios: Puck DLC, Delfin MKII: Nassau Smiths: PRS-68 Hamilton: Khaki Mechanical Gavox​: Squadron Orient: Ray, Black+Blue Citizen: Nighthawk VSA: Infantry GMT, Swiss Army Raider Luminox: Colormark 3152, F-117 Nighthawk 3402 Seiko: SKX007, SBBN017, Marinemaster 300 Nite: Nato MX20 Alt. Model L&H: Orthos Commander 300 Deep Blue: Master 1000, Daylight Rescue T-100 GMT Helm: Vanuatu

Sic'em Bears.

That project was suspended, so don't you get your pledge back in that situation? I have no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcp311 View Post
    So I guess I'll be the first to admit I got scammed by this guy. I have no doubt after the events of yesterday and TA's faux nervous breakdown that he's a professional scammer and fraud. I should have done my homework and looked more diligently at what he was claiming to offer. I honestly believed kickstarter had more oversight to protect investors. That being said, I was still pretty naive when it came to watches and hadn't yet discovered WUS. I almost pulled my pledge when I found designs for his "calendar" offered by some of the Chinese homage brands. After emailing him about it he said the watch was "51% swiss" in keeping with swiss regulations and that some of the parts did come from Asia. I gave him the benefit of the doubt and didn't pull my pledge. I'm trying to look at this as a $195 lesson in vigilance.
    Big of you to admit this, but I think we can all be scammed once in a while. Hope you get a watch! I know some pull chaps with Olivier have not seen a watch yet, and my deposit appears to have disappeared along with all communication from Stolas!

All of the backers are up sh*t creek without a paddle on the refund issue. Kickstarter absolves themselves of any financial liability.

From the Kickstarter website:

"Kickstarter does not guarantee projects or investigate a creator's ability to complete their project. On Kickstarter, backers (you!) ultimately decide the validity and worthiness of a project by whether they decide to fund it."

"Kickstarter doesn't issue refunds as transactions are between backers and creators, and creators receive all funds (after fees) soon after their campaign ends. Creators have the ability to refund backers through Amazon Payments (for US projects) and Kickstarter (for UK projects)."

However a legal recourse (criminal or civil) might be an option since this guy basically committed wire fraud if he doesn't deliver on the watches. At the end of his affectively tinged tirade against his backers and WUS he said:

"Today has been extremely emotional. You really have no idea what it's like to be cyberbullied like this. We will begin shipping watches tomorrow."

I can only hope I get my watch. I fully expect it to be a Parnis with a sea gull movement and the "Montrex" logo.

Last edited by Jcp311; July 11th, 2013 at 12:29. Reason: Font being weird
    Monocrom likes this.
    Tudor: Pelagos Omega: Speedmaster Professional 3570.50 Sinn: 103 ST, 203 ST Crepas: Cayman 3000 Archimede: Outdoor Protect Tempest: Commodore Boschett: Harpoon UNIMATIC: U1-B Dagaz: T-II Typhoon Edox: Hydrosub Steinhart: Ocean Vintage Military, Ocean Vintage Red, Ocean Vintage GMT Halios: Puck DLC, Delfin MKII: Nassau Smiths: PRS-68 Hamilton: Khaki Mechanical Gavox​: Squadron Orient: Ray, Black+Blue Citizen: Nighthawk VSA: Infantry GMT, Swiss Army Raider Luminox: Colormark 3152, F-117 Nighthawk 3402 Seiko: SKX007, SBBN017, Marinemaster 300 Nite: Nato MX20 Alt. Model L&H: Orthos Commander 300 Deep Blue: Master 1000, Daylight Rescue T-100 GMT Helm: Vanuatu

Sic'em Bears.

So Kickstarter is just a place where anyone can come to, and solicit money for a business idea or project that they have? Whether real or fraudulent? And Kickstarter just says "None of our business. We're not responsible at all for what goes on, on our site."

Wow ... I had heard from others that kickstarter had a much better reputation than that. (Not from any members on WUS though.) Clearly those individuals who hold Kickstarter in such high regard were mistaken in doing so. I haven't found any project presented on kickstarter that I liked enough to invest in. And after finding all that out about Kickstarter, I personally won't waste my time on their site anymore.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity here and there. Not the other way around." ~ John Cleese.

The trouble is that no matter who is at fault in what capacity, occurrences like this will make people like us wary of backing projects on kickstarter. There are probably dozens of great watches either already on kickstarter or planning to go on shortly, and the people here on WUS are a prime market.

This whole business is turning it sour and we may see fewer great projects succeeding because of a few controversial/messed-up/fraudulent cases. Surely kickstarter needs to take a bit of responsibility for what it promotes for its own sake as much as the consumer?
    Brad
    - appreciating fine affordable watches since 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Bradjhomes View Post
    The trouble is that no matter who is at fault in what capacity, occurrences like this will make people like us wary of backing projects on kickstarter. There are probably dozens of great watches either already on kickstarter or planning to go on shortly, and the people here on WUS are a prime market.

This whole business is turning it sour and we may see fewer great projects succeeding because of a few controversial/messed-up/fraudulent cases. Surely kickstarter needs to take a bit of responsibility for what it promotes for its own sake as much as the consumer?
    Absolutely...I can't imagine backing any more projects (especially watches) with the same ease. I think kickstarter has had the benefit of a few high profile projects that are legit (pebble watch, etc.). It's in kickstarter's best interest as a company to make sure scammers aren't allowed to start projects on their website. It might be a good idea to have some kind of a safety net incase TA assumes another alias.
    Last edited by Jcp311; July 11th, 2013 at 13:04.

Sic'em Bears.

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

I must admit that I am surprised that nobody who put up money for this noticed certain details such as this photo of a complete tourbillon assembly:

followed by this photo:

...of a piece of paper upon which is printed the same tourbillon photo passed through an 'charcoal' image effect to give the appearance of being a concept sketch.

Incidentally, the movement (designed and prototyped in America ) looks like a Shanghai Watch Factory T02Z, which has been around for several years now.

Overwound likes this.
    Chascomm
    Moderator, Russian Watches & Chinese Mechanical Watches Forums
    (no, I am not going to list all my watches here)

Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread Information