My first Grand Seiko... - Page 3
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: My first Grand Seiko...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 42
  1. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    210

    Re: My first Grand Seiko...

    Name:  DSC07674.JPG
Views: 181
Size:  2.56 MBName:  DSC07676.JPG
Views: 183
Size:  1.66 MB
    Name:  DSC07675.JPG
Views: 184
Size:  1.94 MB

    Some pictures to show how the dial take on the colour of the ambient lighting. It was a lot more pronounced when I was on a flight and the sun was setting.
    MHe225, T1meout and zuiko like this.

  2. #22
    Member zuiko's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    530

    Re: My first Grand Seiko...

    Quote Originally Posted by Allan_de_dub View Post
    Name:  DSC07674.JPG
Views: 181
Size:  2.56 MBName:  DSC07676.JPG
Views: 183
Size:  1.66 MB
    Name:  DSC07675.JPG
Views: 184
Size:  1.94 MB

    Some pictures to show how the dial take on the colour of the ambient lighting. It was a lot more pronounced when I was on a flight and the sun was setting.
    Lovely!

    I'm so glad to see that you are also enjoying this as a daily watch. I've had mine on my wrist every chance I can and it only leaves at night. I'm following the Seiko guidelines and giving the watch around 20 turns in the morning before it goes on again.

    As a hi-beat and spring drive owner I really didn't know what to expect with the manual 9S64 but it's amazing in its own right.

    My copy has run between -1 to 0 seconds since the first windup. Last night it was around -1 and this morning is back at 0. I am absolutely delighted with its accuracy.

    The dial with its absolutely flat white and indices, blue seconds hand is beyond any words I have to describe how pure this watch is as a timekeeper. All the things I had feared as in too small, no date, manual wind have been absolute pleasures rather than what I had feared.

    If anything this watch has put me on a new direction. I love the 38mm size and the manual winding - almost like a small ritual in this highly automated world where the small manual things like this are becoming a rarity.
    bluedialer and lethaltoes like this.

  3. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    210

    Re: My first Grand Seiko...

    Quote Originally Posted by zuiko View Post
    Lovely!

    I'm so glad to see that you are also enjoying this as a daily watch. I've had mine on my wrist every chance I can and it only leaves at night. I'm following the Seiko guidelines and giving the watch around 20 turns in the morning before it goes on again.

    As a hi-beat and spring drive owner I really didn't know what to expect with the manual 9S64 but it's amazing in its own right.

    My copy has run between -1 to 0 seconds since the first windup. Last night it was around -1 and this morning is back at 0. I am absolutely delighted with its accuracy.

    The dial with its absolutely flat white and indices, blue seconds hand is beyond any words I have to describe how pure this watch is as a timekeeper. All the things I had feared as in too small, no date, manual wind have been absolute pleasures rather than what I had feared.

    If anything this watch has put me on a new direction. I love the 38mm size and the manual winding - almost like a small ritual in this highly automated world where the small manual things like this are becoming a rarity.
    Thank you!

    I think it makes for a great daily watch! I have two other Grand Seiko but they don't get as much time on the wrist now haha. I might need a more sweat resistant strap for the summer but other than that I would have no problem wearing the SBGW253 unless water is involved.

    My other Grand Seiko are Spring Drive so I'm no longer in the habit of checking accuracy but mine is probably only off by a second or less a day. I would not be surprised if there is some special attention to the regulation of the SBGW253 as it is more accurate than the SBGR051 and SBGR053 I owned. That said any of the mechanical Grand Seiko can be regulated to be very accurate and precise: my SBGR053 was less than a second a day deviation after regulation.

    Funnily enough I just had a customer comment on my watch and said he has the same one. Turns out he actually has the SBGW252! He did mention he likes the blued second hand. Then he proceeded to show me his collection on Instagram, which included a Rolex Paul Newman and he was wearing a Patek 5170 so it just goes to show that the SBGW253 is more than able to stand on its own against some of the best in the industry.
    bluedialer and zuiko like this.

  4. #24
    Member bluedialer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    620

    Re: My first Grand Seiko...

    I have none, but I can totally see the charm of a fine manual wind piece. I'm waiting for just the right ONE to come along for me. Unsure if it will be a Grand Seiko, but wouldn't be disappointed if it was. Movement finishing of a manual wind is important to me though. Best ones to me have a power reserve back there too...
    zuiko likes this.

  5. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    210

    Re: My first Grand Seiko...

    Quote Originally Posted by bluedialer View Post
    I have none, but I can totally see the charm of a fine manual wind piece. I'm waiting for just the right ONE to come along for me. Unsure if it will be a Grand Seiko, but wouldn't be disappointed if it was. Movement finishing of a manual wind is important to me though. Best ones to me have a power reserve back there too...
    The Lange Calibre L941.1 is one of the best finished manual wind movements available regardless of price but it doesn't have a power reserve and not too much is visible because of the three quarter plate. I can't think of too many finely finished manual wind with a power reserve on the back; there is the SBGD001 and Eichi II but those are around $60k haha.
    bluedialer and zuiko like this.

  6. #26
    Member zuiko's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    530

    Re: My first Grand Seiko...

    Quote Originally Posted by Allan_de_dub View Post
    Thank you!

    I think it makes for a great daily watch! I have two other Grand Seiko but they don't get as much time on the wrist now haha. I might need a more sweat resistant strap for the summer but other than that I would have no problem wearing the SBGW253 unless water is involved.

    My other Grand Seiko are Spring Drive so I'm no longer in the habit of checking accuracy but mine is probably only off by a second or less a day. I would not be surprised if there is some special attention to the regulation of the SBGW253 as it is more accurate than the SBGR051 and SBGR053 I owned. That said any of the mechanical Grand Seiko can be regulated to be very accurate and precise: my SBGR053 was less than a second a day deviation after regulation.

    Funnily enough I just had a customer comment on my watch and said he has the same one. Turns out he actually has the SBGW252! He did mention he likes the blued second hand. Then he proceeded to show me his collection on Instagram, which included a Rolex Paul Newman and he was wearing a Patek 5170 so it just goes to show that the SBGW253 is more than able to stand on its own against some of the best in the industry.
    The blued hand is certainly the big differentiating factor with s/s.

    As nice as the platinum is with the white gold dial and engraving its hands are apparently s/s just like the 253.

    The extra precision of the platinum is really neither here nor there with the excellent performance of my copy of the 9S64 and the gold medallion and blue hand with light weight all add up to the 253 being an amazing watch for me.

    Name:  IMG_1684.JPG
Views: 151
Size:  722.9 KB
    MHe225 likes this.

  7. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    9

    Re: My first Grand Seiko...

    Amazing pictures Allan and Zuiko! Enjoy your watches in good health! Here I am still waiting for my 253 to arrive.
    zuiko likes this.

  8. #28
    Member zuiko's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    530

    Re: My first Grand Seiko...

    Quote Originally Posted by Khamenman View Post
    Amazing pictures Allan and Zuiko! Enjoy your watches in good health! Here I am still waiting for my 253 to arrive.
    You'll love it I'm certain!

    It's quite easily joined the top 5 for me and in time it may be even higher. I can't fault it really, even its price I think in the fullness of time will seem reasonable.

    Name:  IMG_1695.JPG
Views: 124
Size:  1.52 MB
    MHe225, gshock626, brodo and 1 others like this.

  9. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,292

    Re: My first Grand Seiko...

    I like the applied Grand Seiko logo much more than the GS + Grand Seiko logo...

  10. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    210

    Re: My first Grand Seiko...

    Quote Originally Posted by zuiko View Post
    The blued hand is certainly the big differentiating factor with s/s.

    As nice as the platinum is with the white gold dial and engraving its hands are apparently s/s just like the 253.

    The extra precision of the platinum is really neither here nor there with the excellent performance of my copy of the 9S64 and the gold medallion and blue hand with light weight all add up to the 253 being an amazing watch for me.

    Name:  IMG_1684.JPG
Views: 151
Size:  722.9 KB
    I wouldn't mind the SBGW252 the 18k gold has a certain warmness that I do like. The SBGW251 looks a bit too monochromatic from the pictures; I think it would look better with a blued seconds hand.

    My conjecture is that solid gold hands are too heavy for the movement so they would have to revise the movement in order to drive solid gold hands.

    I agree that the extra adjustment for the SBGW251 is a nice gesture but not really that meaningful; if it was -2/+2 like the new Rolex standard or something similar to what Patek guarantees that would be more meaningful. I think the 9S64 is certainly capable of those standards.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. Replies: 23
      Last Post: 3 Weeks Ago, 00:16
    2. Replies: 37
      Last Post: May 7th, 2017, 03:29
    3. Replies: 99
      Last Post: April 24th, 2017, 19:15
    4. Replies: 32
      Last Post: March 26th, 2017, 07:39
    5. Grand Seiko SBGX097 + Grand Seiko SS Bracelet: $1350 shipped expedited w tracking/insurance
      By tiananmensquare in forum Watches - Private sellers and Sponsors
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: July 26th, 2015, 18:42

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •