My first Grand Seiko...
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: My first Grand Seiko...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

My first Grand Seiko...

Well it's not actually my first Grand Seiko as such but it's certainly the first that has only the Grand Seiko logo (the first of its kind) and ironically probably the last GS watch for me in a good while.

This was a fairly unexpected one for me. It was only after making local inquiries that the boutique here said all their allocated stock was spoken for already. They said, without any prompting by me, that they themselves (ie sales staff etc) couldn't get them for themselves. They suggested I put myself down for the modern re-interpretation and while I'm sure that is a fine watch it didn't really appeal to my taste.

I looked elsewhere and quickly found one available. If not for customs and duties I would have had this 2 weeks ago but Easter etc got in the way and it was today I finally received it. There are already some beautiful pictures and other great owner threads on this one so nothing ground breaking to see here. I'll post up more in time as it's still very very new to me but here it is.

The SBGW253...

Name:  FullSizeRender.jpg
Views: 848
Size:  1.37 MB

Name:  IMG_1659.JPG
Views: 849
Size:  499.9 KB

Re: My first Grand Seiko...

very nice

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk
    zuiko likes this.

Congradulations, it's beautiful. Looking forward to seeing more photos. I can see where that would scratch the itch for quite some time.
    zuiko likes this.

As you can probably appreciate the first few hours and days with a new watch are definitely the most exciting and this is no exception. The dial of the 253 has an amazing absence of any specularity; almost like an ideal Lambertian surface which has no hotspotting or sunburst effect. It's a bluer white to my eyes than even the Snowflake which is pictured below together with the 253. The Snowflake looks slightly yellower in the same lighting which was somewhat surprising to me.

I must confess that when I bought my first GS back in 2015 I entertained ideas of getting a Credor Eichi II which was a private joke to me since I was internally pronouncing the name as rhyming with "itchy" and of course that leads on to that everlasting "itch" that watch collectors know only too well.

This 253 comes very very close to extinguishing even the desire for that grail watch for me. It's a beautiful 38mm size which I think is absolutely perfect for this style of watch. Unlike the Eichi it doesn't have a single electronic part which is neither plus nor minus for me personally but it is a pure mechanical watch through and through so it is what it is.

What's great about it for me is that given how long wrist watches have been made this design of three hands in a classic analogue format with virtually nothing extraneous was perfect back then and is perfect now. Grand Seiko got it right on the very first watch and the modern 253 is simply another demonstration of it. I'm sure I have more to see and discover and hopefully write down if I can find the words to express it.

Name:  IMG_1676.JPG
Views: 741
Size:  1.91 MB
    Last edited by zuiko; April 18th, 2017 at 12:24. Reason: spelling.
    avusblue and Alimamy like this.

Zuiko, I tip my hat to you sir. Congratulations on an exceptional purchase. Since I recently picked up the SBGW047 which is a dress watch aswell, I sincerely hope I never come across this model in the flesh out of fear of not being able to restrain myself and giving in to temptation. You managed to catch the beauty of that stunning gold medallion perfectly. Wear it in the best of health. Should you ever decide to part with it, for the love of all things dear, don't contact me.
    zuiko likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by zuiko View Post
    As you can probably appreciate the first few hours and days with a new watch are definitely the most exciting and this is no exception. The dial of the 253 has an amazing absence of any specularity; almost like an ideal Lambertian surface which has no hotspotting or sunburst effect. It's a bluer white to my eyes than even the Snowflake which is pictured below together with the 253. The Snowflake looks slightly yellower in the same lighting which was somewhat surprising to me.

I must confess that when I bought my first GS back in 2015 I entertained ideas of getting a Credor Eichi II which was a private joke to me since I was internally pronouncing the name as rhyming with "itchy" and of course that leads on to that everlasting "itch" that watch collectors know only too well.

This 253 comes very very close to extinguishing even the desire for that grail watch for me. It's a beautiful 38mm size which I think is absolutely perfect for this style of watch. Unlike the Eichi it doesn't have a single electronic part which is neither plus nor minus for me personally but it is a pure mechanical watch through and through so it is what it is.

What's great about it for me is that given how long wrist watches have been made this design of three hands in a classic analogue format with virtually nothing extraneous was perfect back then and is perfect now. Grand Seiko got it right on the very first watch and the modern 253 is simply another demonstration of it. I'm sure I have more to see and discover and hopefully write down if I can find the words to express it.

Name:  IMG_1676.JPG
Views: 741
Size:  1.91 MB
    Congratulations and welcome to the club! I find the dial to be a blank canvas that takes on the lighting; during sunsets it really takes on a vintage vibe. I'll try to post some pictures later.
    zuiko likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by T1meout View Post
    Zuiko, I tip my hat to you sir. Congratulations on an exceptional purchase. Since I recently picked up the SBGW047 which is a dress watch aswell, I sincerely hope I never come across this model in the flesh out of fear of not being able to restrain myself and giving in to temptation. You managed to catch the beauty of that stunning gold medallion perfectly. Wear it in the best of health. Should you ever decide to part with it, for the love of all things dear, don't contact me.
    The SBGW047 is nothing to scoff at either! It has arguably the most interesting case from Grand Seiko.
    zuiko likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by T1meout View Post
    Thank you for your very kind words. I think we all agree that the historical series Seiko have produced over the last decade have all been worthy of praise.

I missed out on the SBGR095 last year due to a stocktaking problem and lived that disappointment for some time even though it was a watch I have tried in the gold version ans found a little on the small side on my wrist (probably due to the fact I was wearing 42+mm divers at the time.

That led me to seeking unsucessfully the W047 and the V009. The 253 has soothed the disappointment away and like I say has even taken away that distant desire to try for an Eichi or the other platinum wonder the D001.

They're all magnificent in their own ways.
    T1meout likes this.

I have to confess, with no offense intended, I never really "got" the heightened allure of these type of very minimal classic dress watches (whether by GS, GP, Jaeger, Nomos, Vacheron, or just name your brand).... I do have a sinking feeling that in time my tastes will mature and I'll really regret missing opportunities to acquire some of the finest perhaps most charming examples such as this watch. Who knows I may end up there sooner than later, as I have myself in the future market for a JLC True Second which seems a bit of a step into that direction...

Congratulations, enjoy your "first," or is it your newest "last" but almost certainly not really your last GS!
    zuiko likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Allan_de_dub View Post
    Congratulations and welcome to the club! I find the dial to be a blank canvas that takes on the lighting; during sunsets it really takes on a vintage vibe. I'll try to post some pictures later.
    Hi Allan and thanks. I can't wait to see the pictures!

As a relative newcomer to GS I'm thankful they chose to redo this one as the 1950's and earlier classic style really appeals to me.

While it caught my eye during BW and I made an inquiry with the local boutique as recounted above; they were unable to get one for me as their more regular customers had secured an automatic right of refusal it seems from what I understood.

Seeing another members (lethaltoes') pictures in his arrival thread Grand Seiko Sbgw253 shortly afterwards really fueled the need for this one and prompted me to import my first GS from overseas.

All I can say is I'm glad I went through with the hassle of importing for this one.

While I know that Seiko made the SBGW033 as the truer sized re-issue in 2011 robatopper's video at Baselworld suggested that the 253 was not the second but the third re-issue of the 3180. This puzzled me as I was not aware of an earlier remake. Perhaps they meant that the 253 is the third version not the third redo.

Anyway it's a great watch and worthy of anyone who's had their eyes on a historical series watches attention imo.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information