SBGJ021 Accuracy (Hi-beat Accuracy in General) - Page 2
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: SBGJ021 Accuracy (Hi-beat Accuracy in General)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: SBGJ021 Accuracy (Hi-beat Accuracy in General)

I've found the GS hi beat VERY susceptible to positional variance. Which is kind of weird. My SubC is -1.5 no matter what position it rests in.

Even when I owned the SBGH035 which is the SPECIAL rated hi beat it wasn't particularly accurate.

Spring drive has spoiled me.
    biokeys87 likes this.

SBGJ021 Accuracy (Hi-beat Accuracy in General)

Quote Originally Posted by Foxman2k View Post
    I've found the GS hi beat VERY susceptible to positional variance. Which is kind of weird. My SubC is -1.5 no matter what position it rests in.

Even when I owned the SBGH035 which is the SPECIAL rated hi beat it wasn't particularly accurate.

Spring drive has spoiled me.
    I don't blame you, man. I still don't know what to do with the Snowflake since I would need to sell it to fully fund the GS Hi Beat. Half of it is already paid off due to the sale of my Omega Planet Ocean. But, the accuracy of Spring Drive does have me spoiled. I'm noticing my Snowflake is averaging about +1 secs per week or so, if that. I once timed it for a month straight and it was at +2.5 secs. Just insane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by biokeys87; 1 Day Ago at 23:50.
    wschofield3 likes this.

Re posts 11 & 12, spring drive is wonderful, but I don't think it's fair to compare it to a pure mechanical.
    A spring drive regulated by a quartz oscillator and semiconductor chip is a lot closer to a GS quartz than a high-beat regulated by a mechanical escapement.
    The trouble is, the spring drive is a lot less accurate than the GS HAQs.
    Don't get me wrong, I love GSs (my high beat runs 0 to +2 a day), I just think you have to compare apples to apples.
    Last edited by whineboy; 1 Day Ago at 05:25.
    biokeys87 likes this.
    Whineboy
    All mechanical, all the time

Quote Originally Posted by whineboy View Post
    Re posts 11 & 12, spring drive is wonderful, but I don't think it's fair to compare it to a pure mechanical.
    A spring drive regulated by a quartz oscillator and semiconductor chip is a lot closer to a GS quartz than a high-beat regulated by a mechanical escapement.
    The trouble is, the spring drive is a lot less accurate than the GS HAQs.
    Don't get me wrong, I love GSs (my high beat runs 0 to +2 a day), I just think you have to compare apples to apples.

I agree. We were mentioning how spoiled we are by the accuracy of a Spring Drive movement compared to a Hi-Beat movement. While the SD is much more accurate than a Hi Beat, it doesn't hold a candle to the 9F HAQ movements in terms of accuracy. But then again, the SD movements are not traditional mechanical movements since it has the IC, the quartz oscillator, and the electromagnetic braking system. I still find beauty in both the hi Beat and the Spring Drive movements. Seiko does it all!

Quote Originally Posted by biokeys87 View Post
    I agree. We were mentioning how spoiled we are by the accuracy of a Spring Drive movement compared to a Hi-Beat movement. While the SD is much more accurate than a Hi Beat, it doesn't hold a candle to the 9F HAQ movements in terms of accuracy. But then again, the SD movements are not traditional mechanical movements since it has the IC, the quartz oscillator, and the electromagnetic braking system. I still find beauty in both the hi Beat and the Spring Drive movements. Seiko does it all!

Got it, I dn fully follow your position. Sorry!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Whineboy
    All mechanical, all the time

It always makes me a little disappointed in GS whenever I read wildly varying reports of their accuracy. What's the point in adjusting them in six positions if they're often just barely within spec? Not to mention the quite odd decision to advertise two different specs for static and worn. I think it's time they updated their testing, particularly since other brands are now claiming very tight timing tolerances. As noted above, even the so-called 'special' hi-beats aren't particularly tight by modern standards.

If I were in your position, surely I will not happy at all. At high-beat GS like this one, I would expect less than +5s. Probably 2s/day is my expectation. The GS SBGR 051 is around -1s/day. Could not be happier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

After years of having fun with mechanicals I am so happy to have the GS quartz now.

No more tracking the rate and adjusting with position over night. It was fun for a long time but I see it now as a waste of time money and energy.

I was always having my watchmaker friend adjust my mechanicals and it always changed after a while.

Like I mentioned before my 992B pocket watch is the best time keeper I have owned regarding mechanicals. I have owned about 1/2 a dozen too. 3 being Chronometer certified.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeOBrien View Post
    It always makes me a little disappointed in GS whenever I read wildly varying reports of their accuracy. What's the point in adjusting them in six positions if they're often just barely within spec? Not to mention the quite odd decision to advertise two different specs for static and worn. I think it's time they updated their testing, particularly since other brands are now claiming very tight timing tolerances. As noted above, even the so-called 'special' hi-beats aren't particularly tight by modern standards.
    I agree. I sold off my GS automatic and kept the spring drives. For Automatics I'll stick with Swiss.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information