Would You Purchase a Grand Seiko in Japan? - Page 6
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Would You Purchase a Grand Seiko in Japan?

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Re: Would You Purchase a Grand Seiko in Japan?

Quote Originally Posted by tzakiel View Post
    Just bought my GS in Japan, from BIC camera and the price was good with duty free and 5% credit card discount. But I did get hit with customs fees when I arrived in the US (I was honest when they asked what I bought...)
    Just curious, was it a good deal regardless, or did the fees take it up to the local prices?

Stumbled across this thread and would like to ask where would you go, in Tokyo, that would have the largest selection of Limited Edition (LE) GS?

For the non-LEs, I'm aware of the usual spots (BIC, Jackroad etc) for good deals.

Quote Originally Posted by meepokman View Post
    Stumbled across this thread and would like to ask where would you go, in Tokyo, that would have the largest selection of Limited Edition (LE) GS?

For the non-LEs, I'm aware of the usual spots (BIC, Jackroad etc) for good deals.
    The Ginza/ Waco Seiko boutique?
    Last edited by T1meout; 1 Week Ago at 15:26.

Ginza and Waco are the natural choice. But I'm wondering if there are any shops that stocks LEs and at reasonable prices.

Yes, the two in Ginza is where I would go. I was in Japan twice in the last 18 months. That said, I still chose to purchase my GS from a US based AD. The buying experience was amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by firewood View Post
    Yes, the two in Ginza is where I would go. I was in Japan twice in the last 18 months. That said, I still chose to purchase my GS from a US based AD. The buying experience was amazing.
    Would you elaborate more on your amazing buying experience? Would love to hear more!

Sure. I had never actually purchased a watch (or I guess anything this expensive) without ever having seen it -- not to mention handle it. All I knew about the SBGH001 was through forum posts and other forum members who were so generous in sharing their experiences with the watch.

The AD I purchased it from was out of state. He was super patient with all my questions -- and was pleasant throughout the entire process. After I decided to buy it, he was equally patient in the sizing process since I wanted them to size it for me before shipment. I also had a trade-in, so I had to ship the watch to them before they shipped the GS. I felt comfortable doing all of this, even with pretty large valued products being shipped both ways.

This was before my trips to Japan. In fact, while in Japan, there were a few pieces I considered getting, but didn't really see any reason to purchase it there. Purchasing it through a US based AD, I knew I had to assurance that if something went wrong, I ship the watch to the US AD and they manage all the coordination with GS in Japan. I didn't have to worry about language differences, time zones, updates, etc. That to me was the biggest reason I purchased here in the US.

Hope this helps.
    mikelu03 likes this.

Last time I went through Narita Airport I asked in a shop selling Seikos if they had any Grand Seikos and they looked at me as if they could not understand what I was saying. But it could have also been my accent lol. IIRC they did have a Cocktail time which was about the nicest watch at the counter.

Yeah, that's interesting right. During my first trip to Japan after getting into GS, I thought that GS would be everywhere and that everyone would know it. But to be honest, the only place I really saw GS was at Waco and at the GS boutique in Ginza. Granted I wasn't looking for it aggressively, but it was nowhere near as ubiquitous as Rolex is in the US for example.

Funny enough, when I landed in Haneda, there was a big wall in the terminal featuring the SBGH001 I was wearing. That really got me excited.
    mikelu03 likes this.

Interesting, I need to look into connecting through Haneda. I suppose it is different partnerships with different airlines, but every time I fly international from USA I have connected through Narita. Maybe someday I will be able to visit Tokyo. :)

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information