Accuracy Shootout: ETA 2824-2 vs. Miyota 8N24 (Graf Zeppelin vs. Bulova) - Page 2
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Accuracy Shootout: ETA 2824-2 vs. Miyota 8N24 (Graf Zeppelin vs. Bulova)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Accuracy Shootout: ETA 2824-2 vs. Miyota 8N24 (Graf Zeppelin vs. Bulova)

For the most part the auto movements from Japan do not get the respect they should - they are solid, durable (bulletproof) and perform as well as their Swiss counterparts - at a much lower $.

ell the Miyota movements are non-hacking...which is kinda weak... No matter how they may keep the time, they will never have that feeling of precision that you will feel with a hacking movement.

I think you are right about durability of the Japanese stuff.

I recently acquired my uncle's 1978, 7009-5008 Seiko. It has the 7009 movement in it, which was the predeceasor to the current 7S26 used in watches such as the Orange Monster. The 7009 uses all metal whereas the 7S26 has some plastic parts.

The watch was worn daily for 25 years and survived a motorcycle crash. It is keeping time to +9 seconds per day after being cleaned, oiled and regulated. Not bad for something over 3 decades old.

Update - The ETA in the Graf Zeppelin has slowed the last few days to synch with the atomic clock (no loss - no gain) from a consistent +1.5 per day, I hope it stays there but maybe there is something to this break-in theory as I have been running it for over 1 month now. I may rereg it at the 3 month mark if it has changed too much. But that is the beauty of the ETA 2824-2; It has the nice little fine adjustment screw, unlike the Miyota or Seiko movements with only the coarse regulator arm.
    Last edited by Spock99; December 12th, 2009 at 16:31.

Thanks for sharing~ Nice watch indeed

Santa Monica, CA usually, Las Vegas, NV sometimes, and Kauai, Hi someday

What a great thread! I've been enjoying both of these movements for a while. I thought the 8N24 was a skeletonized movement only but I'm learning things here! Thanks!

My 8N24 keeps time as well as any Swiss ETA or Valjoux that I own. I also have a Seiko NE20 power reserve automatic in an Invicta Lupah that keeps exceptionally good time.

Thanks again for a very interesting thread. I learned quite a lot here.

Thanks for the responses.

Well it has been over 5 months of wearing both of these pieces. They are still both incredibly accurate. The Miyota is now showing a gain of +2 seconds per 24 hour period. The ETA has now slowed a bit and is showing -2 seconds per 24 hour period.

I routinely wear both while cycling to work on rough roads so perhaps the vibrations from cycling have altered their settings ever so slightly. In any event, I still like the ETA better since it makes a cool fast ticking sound that I can hear through my pillow at night. The Miyota can only be heard when pressed directly to the ear and the rythm is noticably more relaxed.

I also acquired an Orange Monster (it was 2 mins fast per day out of the box) so I sent it back under warranttee and Seiko Canada regulated it to about +9 seconds per 24 hour period. It seems like the Seiko budget movements consistently run fast. People are surprise when I tell them I paid less than 200 for it.

I found a way to "regulate" the ETA 2824-2. I leave it dial up on the nightstand to gain time at night. I last set it to the atomic clock on April 28th and today, 15 full days later, it is DEAD ON!

I have reached accuracy Nirvana! (Obviously, I have too much time on my hands).
    Last edited by Spock99; May 13th, 2010 at 20:07.

I'm pleased to read that you have more luck with your Miyota than i do.
    A bit more than a week ago i bought a Festina 6744 with the Miyota 8N24 and it gained around 1 minute per day.
    I think "breaking in" was not really an option when it gains so much, so last weekend i took it back to the shop.
    It is now being sent to Festina so they can take a look at it.
    I don't know if they will regulate it or just replace the movement or whatever.
    I'm waiting for some (i hope good) news from the shop now.

But no worries, i have a 24 month warranty so it's all for free

Quote Originally Posted by vanhessche View Post
    I'm pleased to read that you have more luck with your Miyota than i do.
    A bit more than a week ago i bought a Festina 6744 with the Miyota 8N24 and it gained around 1 minute per day.
    I think "breaking in" was not really an option when it gains so much, so last weekend i took it back to the shop.
    It is now being sent to Festina so they can take a look at it.
    I don't know if they will regulate it or just replace the movement or whatever.
    I'm waiting for some (i hope good) news from the shop now.

But no worries, i have a 24 month warranty so it's all for free

I had the same experience with a Seiko Orange Monster (Seiko Movement 7S26). I sent it to Seiko and they regulated it (it now runs +8 seconds per day which is satisfactory).

One of the most accurate quartz movements I've owned in recent years was a Seiko SND255 Pilot-style Flightmaster watch. It uses the 7T92 caliber movement. I said "was" because a good friend talked me out of it on a trade. In the 5-months I had it, it gained less than 5 (Five) seconds during the entire period! That's less than 12 seconds a year. I've never encountered accuracy on that level with anything but an Atomic watch by Citizen or Casio. I should have kept it, but once you get past a couple dozen wrist watches...how many more do you need?
    Regards, Bill
    CHALLENGER
    --------------
    Citizen JY0040-59L Blue Angels Skyhawk Chronograph
    Seiko SND255 Flightmaster Blue-Face Chronograph
    Seiko SGP Quartz Dress SS/Gold Band
    Casio WVA320DJ-1A Atomic Solar WaveCeptor Diver
    Timex Ironman Triathlon Indiglo (Won't quit)
    Bulova 1961 Automatic Dress Spiedel Band
    Elgin 1888 Size 18 3-Hand 24-Hour Pocket Watch
    Elgin 1916 Size 16 Rolled-Gold Pocket Watch

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information