Brief Maurice Lacroix Masterpiece Worldtimer Review
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Brief Maurice Lacroix Masterpiece Worldtimer Review

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Brief Maurice Lacroix Masterpiece Worldtimer Review

I've owned this watch now for a little under 3 months, so think this will be as unbiased as I will be able to get on this watch. Very surprised that there is so little information out there on this watch- in fact, I bought this watch thinking that it was a true worldtimer- it is in fact a GMT that happens to have 24 cities printed on its dial. This detail (which frankly I'm amazed I did not find in my previous research prior to purchasing said watch) almost made me return it... but I am quite glad I did not.

I picked this piece up for under $1500, and I must say, the build quality is fantastic- on par with the Omega SMP that I own. Lots of contrast between brushed and polished surfaces- very well done. Dial is beautifully executed- apparently the regular hands are gold and the gmt hand is black gold- and very easy to read despite being fairly busy. I do find the night/day subdial at 9pm to be utterly useless... truly don't understand why somebody would put such a subdial on any watch. GMT functions as expected (though first GMT I've owned) and hand utilizes the outer 24hr dial. Outer ring with cities unfortunately does not rotate, and although I guess one can figure out how many hours Geneva is from NYC, in my opinion unnecessarily clutters the dial. Despite the criticisms that I have, I do love this watch and can't stop staring at the piece. Since I've bought this watch, I think I've worn any of my other half dozen watches... thrice in three months?

Watch came on an alligator strap with deployant clasp- probably the most comfortable strap that I've worn. Broke in very quickly and comfortable, and the deployant clasp is very secure- no complaints there.

Lacroix signed its crown- pull once to adjust time, or rotate clockwise to wind. Power reserve seems more than adequate- guess around two days or so. Pushers at 2 and 4 o'clock advance and de-advance by one hour- a functionality I find rather useful since I find myself flying more often these days. Date is adjusted by a small pusher at the 8 o'clock position.

Watch powered by (supposedly) an in house ML 164 movement- I cannot find any details whatsoever on this movement. If anybody can shed some light on whether this is truly an in house movement or some modified ETA, would be appreciated.

Watch comes in a 42mm by around 12mm- probably as big as my wrist can handle. Unlike some other designs where the watch thickness is almost layered (bezel, main section, caseback), the watch is thick throughout (can't describe it very well, but see picture below). To me, this gives the watch the impression of being thicker than it is, even though at 12mm, it can't really be described as a thick watch- slides very easily under all my shirt sleeves.

Name:  image2.JPG
Views: 429
Size:  1.57 MB
    Name:  image1.JPG
Views: 412
Size:  1.92 MB
    Name:  image3.JPG
Views: 397
Size:  1.56 MB
    slcbbrown, OPIC, Dr. Tim and 1 others like this.

heb

Re: Brief Maurice Lacroix Masterpiece Worldtimer Review

Nice review, thanks. I agree with you, its utility as a GMT/Worldtime watch is minimal. Check out YouTube for a nice video on its operation, including the possible value of that Day/Night dial.

heb

Great reading info.

It is a very nice watch and most ML's tend to fly under the radar, so good job on this review.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

Since the watch does not appear to have any lume what-so-ever, maybe the day/ night indicator is used to let you know how long before you cant read the time...
    heb likes this.

Thanks for the review, looks interesting! Not sure why the lack of lume, weird.

Nice review on a sharp watch.

Very nice watch!

I really think it's a great watch, especially for the price you were able to pick it up for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It does look inhouse. Too bad it's not a true worldtimer, would be interesting alternative to Frederique Constant.

What a unique looking watch!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information