My Ginault and the adventure so far...
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: My Ginault and the adventure so far...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Laughing My Ginault and the adventure so far...

Hello,

A Quick summary of my watch journey thus far:
    I am fairly new to automatic watches (I got my first automatic watch less than 6 months ago...a Steinhart Ocean 1 Black) and since then, I am hooked :) (thank you Watchuseek for introducing me to some amazing people and awesome watch photos!!!) Soon after that, I wanted to experience some more Swiss ETA goodness and I ordered a Steinhart Ocean Titanium 500 (not the batman version). The see through caseback was a glimpse into the mechanical wonders that I now cherish. Seeing the balance swing back and forth fascinated me. This decision didn't come easy. I was bouncing between the OT500 and the Ginault Ocean Rover, and the see through caseback made my decision for me :) As I was tearing through threads and watching every youtube video I could on watches, I discovered some guy named Random Rob, and Seiko Monsters grabbed my attention. I still wanted the Ocean Rover, but now I had to decide between, an in your face, wild and crazy Seiko Monster, or another Rolex Submariner Homage. Since I was still loving my Steinhart O1B, I opted for the Seiko SRP581K1 or Sea Monster (sorry OR....Random Rob is very convincing) :P Now, I am learning about modding, so I ordered some crystals from Crystal Times and modded my O1B and Monster with some Blue AR Double Domeness!! Then the siren call of the Ocean Rover came a calling one more time, and after choosing something else every time, I went for it. Unfortunately, they were sold out and I was on a wait list. So like any good watch addict, I ordered another Seiko Monster, this time, a Seiko SRP311J2 (Halloween Monster). More crystals from Crystal Times (they are awesome!!) and some watch bands from Strap Code and ColaReb. Then my Ocean Rover arrived ;) I am now hopelessly addicted to watches, and trying to transition from buying everything in sight, to holding back, enjoying what I have, while saving up for my first high end timepiece, all the while enjoying the fun watches I have.

Ginault Ocean Rover, Blue & Gold bezel version GSLID something something :P
    After removing all the plastic, the watch looks awesome. I love my Steinhart's, and the OR is very similar, but with a cooler clasp, end links, brushing, and bracelet. That being said, my Glidelock wasn't very smooth, and I even emailed Ginault to inquire about it. They said to make sure I do not put any lateral pressure on it when sliding it back and forth. Wanting it to be perfect, I quickly searched the internet and found some suggestions to baby oil bathe the bracelet or Dry Lube it and then wash with dish soap. I went for the Dry Lube and dish soap method, and now my Glidelock is a beast!!! The bezel turns smoother on both of my Steinhart's, from any and all angles. But, if you turn the Ginault with fingers on 10-8 and 5-3, it turns smooth as ice. The movementhas been very accurate on wrist (within +-3 sec/day, usually less) but if sitting in my watchbox, it goes rogue, to around +-3-8 sec/day...so far, but it has been settling in nicely in the lower range. The rotor can be heard in dead silence, if pressed to my ear, and that is literally my final knock against it.

How fragile is the Ocean Rover?!?!?!
    I think because it looks so nice, that I babied it for the first couple days of wearing it. But then, I decided that life is short, and it isn't a $10,000 Rolex...time to see if the Ocean Rover can keep up with me and my crazy life!!! I have worn it to work landscaping, operating lawn mowers, weed whackers, blowers, and clearing out clogged grass chutes (I had the only all green OR on Earth!!) It has survived numerous games of tennis, and although I am not Rafael Nadal, I play hard. I went on vacation and it went into the ocean with me. Hopefully no one noticed that I was swimming in the pool at the resort and constantly holding it under water trying to drown it....just to pull it back up and see if the triple sealed crown had let some water in. Still, it thrives...

Is this a paid review you corporate shill?!?! Why didn't you pay full price or save up and buy the REAL thing you worthless scumdog!!!!
    Yes, I received a discount (by emailing them and begging them for it...I made a strong case for 50% I thought!!!). Unfortunately, I couldn't get as much as the initial reviewers :( but at this point, I was happy with 40% off (with no stipulation for a review. But they said if I liked it, I could share my experience...with no stipulation on where or how or what format. I am writing this because when I was trying to decide, I scoured everywhere looking for more information on the Ginault and as many pictures or videos I could find...somehow I do that with every watch I buy)

As to why didn't I save up and buy a Rolex. Well, I didn't want a Rolex. I wanted a Ginault, with no cyclops, but with the date and blue/gold bezel. I also do not have a spare $10,000 laying around to spend on a watch right now (oh trust me, I would love to be able to say, "ten grand is peanuts, I spend that on my cat each year"....I am not there yet....but I continue to work hard, save up, and honestly, I will probably go for something a little less mainstream, like a Jaeger LeCoultre one day. But I am new to watches, especially automatic ones...I just got into this less than 6 months ago) If you have a Rolex, I think that is AWESOME!!! I hope it brings you the same joy that my Ginault brings me. I have not had anyone ask if it is a Rolex, and if they did, I would gladly tell them the saga of Ginault (I post tons of pics online, very clearly showing that it says Ginault on the dial)

Will you sell your Steinhart's to me cheap now because of the awesomeness of the Ginault?
    No!! I will never sell my Steinhart's. They were the first automatic watches I ever bought, and I have a sentimental connection with them. They have been in surgery with me and through all kinds of adventures in life. I don't think they are worse than the Ginault, and I think Gunther makes some amazing watches. If you have the chance, I highly suggest you get one. My experience with them has been insanely awesome!! Also, the people in the Steinhart subforum have also been insanely awesome, among other member of Watchuseek (thank you to all who entertained my crazy private messages...about all watches from Steinhart, Seiko's, Ginault's, and even modding....thank you @NeedAG for all the information!!! My Ginault will have an invisible crystal someday soon!!!)

What is the takeaway from your experience with Ginault?
    The watch itself, is amazing. I can't say that enough. There are some things they can improve, but overall, it's a winner in my book. The customer service has been excellent. Before and after I made my purchase, I have sent Ginault a lot of emails (I am sure that John McMurtry knows my email by heart now!!)

Watchuseek and the community
    We are a passionate group of people who enjoy these complex machines full of gears, metal, and glass. I like to think we are like one big mechanical watch. We get +- 5 sec/day with some positional variance :) You never know what you are going to find here. Sometimes disagreements or arguments over homage watches, but sometimes you can connect with another person and enrich your life (or someone else's). I learn something new everyday here, and hear about a different watch brand or movement, that I would have never discovered had it not been for the random wrist shots or postings of another watch addict. I was lurking these forums before I decided to create an account here. If it was nothing more than infighting and craziness, I wouldn't have joined. A BIG THANK YOU to the people who own/operate this forum!!!!! I don't think you get enough appreciation for what you provide here. From the bottom of my heart, I want to thank you. Watches have enriched my life. The passion it has ignited in me, is spreading out to other areas of life. This wouldn't be possible without this forum and the people who contribute to it daily!!!! We should all contribute $10 to buy the guys who operate this a special watch!!! Lol, maybe Ginault Ocean Rovers for them all!!!! (I don't know how big the team is behind the scenes of WUS)

To summarize all of this and a message to those who stuck around long enough to read all of my crazy ramblings!!!
    I will share a pic of my Ocean Rover in the wild, on the beaches of Topsail Island, North Carolina. Also, I sent the picture to Ginault this morning, and they loved it!!! I told them I was going to post my thoughts on their watch, and they asked if I could include this little easter egg if you will (who doesn't like surprises and discounts!!) I will continue to update this thread along my horological journey and time spent with not only the Ocean Rover, but also my Steinhart's and Seiko Monsters!!! I am also on the waiting list for the Visitor Vale Park Officer (that thing looks INSANE!!!! I MUST HAVE IT!!!!) and I want a Dievas Shadow (it's tennis ball yellow and I play tennis!!! It also looks bad @$$) :P Thanks for stopping by to check out my review. Looking forward to all the positive feedback and your thoughts/experiences on watches in general!!! If you think I am collecting crappy watches, I'm all ears. I will listen to your points. But I highly doubt you will be able to erase the sheer amount of joy I get each day, when I wake up and decide what watch I am going to wear that day!!! :) Have a great day!!! Life is short, buy what makes you happy, and enjoy whatever watch you are blessed enough to have....somewhere in the world, there is someone less fortunate, who will go to sleep tonight, trying to drown out the sounds of their empty stomach. I am grateful that I have my small collection of watches, thank you for taking the time to read my thoughts on this one. The Ginault Ocean Rover.

A Message From Ginault:
    We currently have two promotions which we are doing for the month of September.

We have a 35% code which is given out to members if they email and inquire about it.

For this coupon you are not required to do anything. But if you like the watch after receiving it and think it deserves the recognition, we would truly appreciate it if you can help us to spread the word by participating in our watch forum discussions. It doesn't have to be a full-blown review but rather just a few shots of the Ocean Rover and a few lines of your thoughts and opinion would go a long way to keep our mega threads going so the Ocean Rover can continue to be seen.

However, if you enjoy writing detailed reviews, have a plan to compare the Ocean Rover with another diver watch, or love making YouTube videos, this month we are bringing back the 40% discount for any member who would like to help us with a comparison review or a YouTube review.

Also, we have two new 181070 variants which we will release soon but have not updated to our website.

181070GSLID, features the blue and gold bezel insert with our signature gold sand lume.
    181070LSILN features the black insert with BGW9 lume.

We have not created the official landing pages for these two variants yet. But if you are interested in these two, I can help you to set up a pre-order.

We are testing out our new EU dispatch service. Our EU customers will now receive packages from within the EU. This way EU customers will not have to worry about custom issues and fees. We will take care of it on our end.
    After the order is placed, we will first ship the watch to our EU dispatch, and then it will be forwarded out to our EU customers. A tracking number will be available 3-5 working days after the package leaves the EU dispatch.

Here are pics of my Ocean Rover on the beach!!! I can hear the waves....
    Name:  ncday4g.jpg
Views: 1524
Size:  2.53 MB
    Name:  ncday4e.jpg
Views: 825
Size:  1.38 MB
    Name:  ncday4f.jpg
Views: 815
Size:  1.79 MB
    Mintu, Bosman, ChristoO and 4 others like this.

Re: My Ginault and the adventure so far...

Just gorgeous. Superb pics.
    I got the 40% coupon last month but couldn't complete my purchase because of my credit card issue with international payments.
    Sorting it out on top priority :)
    I will soon contact them for coupon code.
    Enjoy
    JohnBPittsburgh likes this.

Very nice review!
    Orient Blue Mako
    Orient Star Classic
    Seiko SRP777
    Seiko SARB035

@Bosman, Go Steelers!!!! :) Thank you!!
    Bosman likes this.

I wonder if its even possible to find a negative review of these watches?

Quote Originally Posted by GrounchOldGuy View Post
    I wonder if its even possible to find a negative review of these watches?
    Couple of doosies on YT, even from people who have never actually handled one in real life. Sheesh......

actually handled one in real life ... I just sold one watch and bought another. Both times the guys I traded with saw my Ginault and purchase one for themselves. One guys was wearing a sweet rolex exploer and the other was selling his Dad's watch to me because he's not a watch guy. The first Friday I had the watch a stranger at the bar noticed my watch, asked me about it and bought one. I hoping that this means that Ginault will stay in business. I'm really looking forward to them branching out to some other style.
    JohnBPittsburgh and mf1tym like this.

I had a post that basically said something similar :) I also hope that Ginault's next big project is an original design (I also think it would be amazing to see a crossover project with another small microbrand. That would be insanely awesome....imagine if Ginault teamed up with Visitor and released a LTD Edition Visinault :P ....I think Phil from Visitor and Ginault teaming up might spring something beautiful. American designs, with their teams working together to produce an amazing movement, and their industry contacts to make a MEGAWATCH!!!! Call me crazy, but I think there would be a lot of people interested in preordering whatever these two companies would put together (heck, throw in another microbrand and maybe we can create something to really compete with the Swiss Giants of the Industry) I would also love to see RGM and Kobold work together on a Pennsylvania Powerhouse watch ;) But I doubt we will ever get to see any of my dreams come to fruition :(

On another note, I continue to love my Ocean Rover. This thing is just beautiful, it has settled in very nicely within +3,-2 seconds per day. I took it swimming today, and it performed beautifully. I love this watch (along with my others). I cannot think of anything I don't like about this watch. 10/10 on a scale of awesomeness. In the end, it's just a fun watch, that feels great on my wrist, and makes me smile every time I look at it. For the several jokes about their golden sand lume I have made in the past...I owe them an apology :)
    Last edited by JohnBPittsburgh; 4 Weeks Ago at 03:20.
    lvt and trf2271 like this.

Great review mate. I have the same watch and while my work isn't as hard on it as yours, its nice to see it can handle what you put it through. It really is up there with anything else I own, and some of those cost well over three times the price.

Congratulations! I'm waiting for mine... same as yours but no date.
    I really think they should put another dial, with just two or three lines and the logo.
    I'm going to write to them about it. Maybe a ceramic bezel and they could sell it for full price, I'm sure...
    JohnBPittsburgh and mf1tym like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information