Prometheus RECON 5 review

Thread: Prometheus RECON 5 review

-->

Prometheus RECON 5 review

I have received this watch today after struggle with my customs officer
    This will be just basic review so you can see for yourself what I am talking about....

From Prometheus web site:

"
    The Swiss Made Prometheus Watch Company Recon 5 watch continues the evolution of the flieger/pilot watches.
    The first flieger watches appeared during the Second World War and were produced by five brands: IWC, Stowa, Wempe, Laco and Lange & Söhne.
    Having as a starting point those traditional flieger designs Prometheus Watch Company brought to life their evolution with the Recon 5 watch with its marked clear and simplistic lines.
    The watch is powered by a Unitas 6497-1 with côtes de genève finish and is made in the Swiss Jura mountains in order to assure absolute perfomance.
    With the Recon 5 you have now chance to own an exclusive time piece."

Price of this watch is according to Prometheus 269 euros plus shipping (around 310 eur worldwide shipping).

It is very well packed into 80x180x35 mm leather case (not real leather).
    Case is very well built,it has Prometheus logo and it holds watch and papers inside.

Case(packing):

RECON 5 has case made of stainless steel (case is made in China but the quality is admirable,it is built to last,case is brushed and screw in caseback is polished).
    It is 44mm in diameter.

It has sapphire crystals front and back (sapphire crystals are made in USA) and big diamond crown that is easy to operate and wound the watch.
    Dial:

Dial is a bit empty (IMHO) and it should have at least Prometheus company symbol under 12 hour position.
    Lume is standard (green-blue) and after one minute of charging it will not last long time but that is not expected from a watch that is in this price range.

Lume (1 minute of charging) after 30 minutes

The strap is brown 22mm leather and it is the only thing that I don't like in this watch.
    It looks too cheap and it is not built good compared to rest of the watch and packing.
    It is possible to change it by removing small screws on the lugs (you will need small screwdriver and it does not come with the watch).

Movement:

The watch is powered by a ETA (Unitas) 6497-1 with Côtes de Genève finish and it is swiss made.
    More about this reliable movement you can find here: ETA VS. Unitas 6497

Bridge design of Prometheus compared to Panerai

Signed buckle

Too close to the case-new strap with signs of use

+ packing,case,sapphire crystals front and back,reliable and decorated movement,big crown,2 year warranty,price

- only minus (IMHO) is strap

Nice,well priced and big mechanical watch for daily use
    Last edited by igorRIJEKA; March 9th, 2010 at 23:54.

Re: Prometheus RECON 5 review

After only few hours,I had to change original strap because....well,I just couldn't look at it any more

New one is handmade from soft italian leather...

After one week of owning Recon5 I found out for one minus (and this would be one BIG minus)-

After closer examination of the watch I found out looking at case back huge amount of dust particles inside of the case on sapphire crystal

^ I notice this with mine as well, looking through the back at the movement, there is one small piece of dust. I guess better than a lot of dust, but odd none the less.

Love the watch overall though

Thread Information