Seiko SRP701K - SARB alternative?
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Seiko SRP701K - SARB alternative?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Seiko SRP701K - SARB alternative?

Having recently become more interested in watches, the WUS forum has been instrumental in not only diverting my funds away from necessities such as new shoes for my children ("son, daddy needs a tool diver as he doesn't want to scratch his dress diver"), but also allocating yet to be earned money on wish lists and grail watches. It's a disease, and I am seeking treatment (or so I tell my wife).

I've recently been looking for a dress watch for work, and had considered (among other watches) a SARB033/035. After a recent dalliance with Seagull, I found 38mm to wear a little small on my wrist. I know that a lot of people consider 38mm to be the ideal dress watch size, but my preference is somewhere between 40-42mm. I also really like textured 'guilloche' style dials, but couldn't find anything I liked that was affordable.

I stumbled across the Seiko SRP701K, and bit the bullet.

Specs: Size is 42mm, which sits fine on my wrist IMO (I wouldn't want any larger); It's definitely a more modern size. Lug width is 20mm.

Movement: 4R35 36hr power reserve with +45/-35 rated accuracy (although I average around +10sec a day). It comes with hand winding and is hackable.

The watch has a white textured dial which I really like. It's an unusual pattern that creates an almost sunburst pattern the way the dial catches the light; the larger dial certainly shows it off more (compared to the black dial version). The crystal is Seiko Hardlex and slightly domed, distorting the edges of the dial which I think complements the 'guilloche' pattern. The white colour could be a little warmer, and only became a colder white once I replaced the bracelet with a dark leather strap. The included bracelet is not a favourite; hollow end links and a squeaky clasp made sure I replaced it quickly.

Hands are dauphine, and overall the watch is without lume (which is fine with me, and is in keeping with the dress watch style). Crown is a pull out style, and left plain; a Seiko symbol would have been nicer (as with the SARB series). It has a see through case back on the other side, though that only reveals a minimally decorated workhorse Seiko movement (the party is at the front). Overall happy with the purchase and easily fits my need for a dress watch for work.

Would I consider a SARB in future? Possibly; my impression is that the JDM series overall would be better finished, and photos of the SARB033/35 online look like the profile of the case and lug design seems more elegant. The 6R15 movement also seems to be well regarded. I'm not a fan of the SARB033/35 chapter ring with sub-second markings though, but would've preferred something more substantial than the dots used for second markings on the SRP701. I think that the pattern of the dial could be a little more overt, and will probably continue to look for another 'guilloche' style watch. I love the look of the SARB065, but I work in an office and think it might be a tad flashy (unless it was pub night). At about 60% the (street) cost of the SARB033 though I'm not complaining. I might be able to afford a pair of shoes for junior still.

Name:  IMG_4149_edited_resize.jpg
Views: 1481
Size:  536.4 KBName:  IMG_4154_edited_resize.jpg
Views: 1443
Size:  420.9 KBName:  IMG_4154_edited_cropped_resize.jpg
Views: 1441
Size:  249.1 KBName:  IMG_20151031_143355_edited_resize.jpg
Views: 1448
Size:  573.9 KB

Re: Seiko SRP701K - SARB alternative?

Beautiful watch and great pictures.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

Fantastic watch! Congrats! :)

BTW, PM sent!
    Last edited by widgydidge; November 1st, 2015 at 13:33.

Handsome watch. Congratulations!

Great dial details, great strap, nice hands. Looks terrific.
    Let the liquor do the thinking.

What strap did you use? Beautiful. 20mm lug width?

Crisp photos. The white dial against the dark background really pops. Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought my father the Sarb035 and compared these two. I like the SRP701 even better. I put it on a dark brown Roma Hadley similar to yours and it is sooo comfortable. I have about a 7.25 in wrist and if this were 40mm it'd be perfect. The bracelet is not of high quality but I knew this before even purchasing.
    I have a MM30, Grand Seiko an Oris diver date and couple of Microbrand watches and this gets just as much wrist time as any of them.

Elegant watch!

Quote Originally Posted by Herman65 View Post
    What strap did you use? Beautiful. 20mm lug width?
    I would also like to know which strap - it is very nice.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Gear in this thread

Thread Information