To All Military and Special Forces Member.What Watches do you use and why.
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: To All Military and Special Forces Member.What Watches do you use and why.

-->
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

To All Military and Special Forces Member.What Watches do you use and why.

I want to buy a good military/dive watch.Did some research and all kind of military/dive watches just say that they are the best.I thinks thats bull.So i want to know from the guys who use and need these watches every day,what watch you use and why.

Re: To All Military and Special Forces Member.What Watches do you use and why.

Methinks the answer depends to some extent on who's paying for the watch ... the more government funding is available, the higher one can go in quality and price (see the special antimagnetic Ocean 2000 for German special forces).

The more purchase is at the personal or unit level, the higher the "replaceability" factor figures.

Just my two bezants' worth ...
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Banned

I was an officer in a Swedish Special Forces unit, (see my profile), for 2 years.
    I wore an Omega Constellation f300. I still have it, had it restored by Omega a couple of years back.
    IMO you do not need these "Superman" watches. A WR of 30-50 meters, a bit of lume and you are fine. Most important for me was the accurancy.
    Most of my colleagues had Rolexes, Tudors, Omegas.
    IMHO those "tactical" watches are all show and no action.

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    Methinks the answer depends to some extent on who's paying for the watch ... the more government funding is available, the higher one can go in quality and price (see the special antimagnetic Ocean 2000 for German special forces).

The more purchase is at the personal or unit level, the higher the "replaceability" factor figures.

Just my two bezants' worth ...
    i agree.....
    i think that most of the special forces employers wears G-Shock
    or Timex or Marathon or Luminox..
    G-Shocks and subs

Quote Originally Posted by ecalzo View Post
    i think that most of the special forces employers wears G-Shock or Timex or Marathon or Luminox..
    D'accord on the G-Shock, Timex and Suunto ... not sure about Marathon and Luminox. At the end of the day, in terms of ruggedness and functionailty, incidentally) quartz digital > quartz analog > mechanical

Unfortunately, we don't only need to know which watches are worn, but for which reasons (affordability/replaceability; functions like timers, second timezone etc.; quick readability ...)
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

I never had a problem with my Issued Stocker & Yale, or the Casio, and Seiko's I used in the field, I guess it would depend on the information you need to Continue the Mission..

For me, I had to have accuracy, some Dependable Lume (which Casio failed)
    and a watch that could take harsh environments, but let me tell you....the Jungle is NO place for a watch for extended periods of time.

I would go for the new Sunnto's (sp) and Marathon's I have heard from fellow WIS are a "must have".

I guess what it comes down to is your Mission, your Budget, and can you STOP at just ONE ? ?

CURRENT LINE UP
    Seiko - Automatic - SKX175 - 7S26
    Seiko - Automatic - 6139-6030T
    Orient - Manual - 0278509N
    Sunnto - Vector
    Invicta - 5017 / 8928
    Gruen -Auto
    Seiko - BM

FLIPPED (Watchuseek)
    Zeno Watch Basel EA-02SV
    Invicta 9212 / 2615 / 3047
    Sector 550 Swiss Quartz
    Accutron 26B48 Auto
    Seiko - Blue Sawtooth
    Zodiac Oceanaire -CL-888
    ORSA - Orange Sea Angler
    2 Gevrils - GV2 ETA Auto

Quote Originally Posted by d3gfx View Post
    I would go for the new Sunnto's (sp) and Marathon's I have heard from fellow WIS are a "must have".
    To what "new Suuntos" are you referring?

I wore a luminox 3001 for the last four years I was in the army. It was beaten on regularly while being abused in the turret of an M1A1. I know people lately have had reliability issues with them but mine never failed me, and the lume is great when pulling watch. Here's a few pics I snapped, you can see it's been "loved". I'll never get rid of this watch, its been through too much stuff with me!

By far and away, G-Shock and Ironman are the most common. For US forces, nothing even comes close to these. Suuntos are gaining favor, but they really suck up batteries f-a-s-t.

Some of us dinosaurs remember when Seiko divers ruled. *sigh*
    " We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. "

Watches: Rolex GMT Master II 16760,
    Rolex Submariner 14060M, Doxa 750T Sharkhunter, Doxa 1200T Professional, Chronosport UDT Type IIa, Marathon GSAR, Steinhart Ocean GMT Vintage, Marathon SS Navigator (1992 Kuwait), Ollech & Wajs M-4S, Seiko SKA427P1, Seiko SKX007J, Garmin Fenix

Quote Originally Posted by Doug507 View Post
    By far and away, G-Shock and Ironman are the most common. For US forces, nothing even comes close to these.
    This is absolutely correct. And it brings up an interesting point. The vast majority of soldiers are not what I would consider WIS people. They have a watch because they have to be able to tell time, and in a combat MOS, you don't always have access to a wall clock or cell phone. The people that I knew that were into watches never wore anything they didn't mind seeing destroyed into the field. I know I didn't, it just had to work, cool WIS features be damned! I.e. I would not wear my Marathon on a tank. I don't know about the SF guys, this is just an average tankers opinion.
    Last edited by atxtj; December 17th, 2008 at 05:55.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information