IWC Pilot and Spitfire reviews?

Thread: IWC Pilot and Spitfire reviews?

IWC Pilot and Spitfire reviews?

Can anyone give me a review or persepctive on IWC Spitfire and Pilot watches? Their reliability, ruggedness, all round adventure watch?

Looking at their basic models. Thanks.

Re: IWC Pilot and Spitfire reviews?

As no one has yet volunteered an opinion, I'll give my 2 cents, although I don't own one lol (so maybe it's not worth much).

Both entry level Pilot and Spitfire use an IWC version of the ETA 2892-2A which is a high end ETA movement. It is a very reliable and accurate movement, probably one of the most so. Rival watches are maybe Sinns and Damaskos in a sense, but they use the lower end 2824/36, which probably just as accurate (depending on how well they have been regulated).

I personally really dig the Pilot Mark XV. The XVI is an acquired taste although I did love it when I first saw it. The Spitfire I'm not so keen on aesthetically. I quite like the Spitfire UTC though.

If you can afford it, then I'd say go for it! You can get an arguably more rugged watch (in terms of the case) in a Damasko DA36 at around a quarter of the price, but then it doesn't have the same image and they are pitching at different crowds. Good luck.

From the links section

In French, but using http://babelfish.altavista.com to translate it may yield some useful info

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/chronomania/...k_xv_a_moi.htm
    Стрела

Russian Watch Forum, Rolex & Tudor Watch Forum, & Pilot's and Military Watch Forum Moderator

Re: IWC Pilot and Spitfire reviews?

Quote Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
    Can anyone give me a review or persepctive on IWC Spitfire and Pilot watches? Their reliability, ruggedness, all round adventure watch?

Looking at their basic models. Thanks.
    I just received this Mark XV Spitfire a couple of days ago. I had considered a Rolex Explorer I but went for this and couldn't be happier. I've only had it a couple of days (the picture is from yesterday) and it is keeping time at -1 second a day. It's been on my wrist the whole time so I don't yet know how it will "react" in other positions overnight. The SS band is the best I've ever seen and stupid easy to adjust with IWC's spring loaded pins. The watch is 38mm (a nice size IMHO). The black face Pilot was a little too "stark" for me though the Pilot's chronograph also looks to be a nice piece and I'm already craving one of those. The Mark XVI Spitfire does not come in a black dial model but (onviously) I was able to locate this new Mark XV. Be aware that the SS band is insanely expensive (worth it I think, but...) and adds about $1300 US to the list price. If you shop around, these watches are discounted about 25%--at least at the AD's I checked at. By all accounts, they are rugged and reliable, but I'm only into my third day so I have high hopes but can't speak with certainty.

Thread Information