Like Tree2Likes

Thread: My new HMT Pilot watch from India - thread no. 3 of 3

Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast

My new HMT Pilot watch from India - thread no. 3 of 3

MODERATOR'S NOTE:

Due to its length, this thread has been split into three threads.

You can find the previuous posts in this thread: My new HMT Pilot watch from India - thread no. 2 of 3

Crusader
    Last edited by Crusader; February 5th, 2010 at 21:54.
    www.clubnomos.de - all about NOMOS Glashütte watches
    www.fliegeruhr.ch - all about IWC Pilot´s watches

Re: New HMT Sona watch from India

Though a little late ,let me start of by wishing all of you a very Happy and Prosperous New Year.

I joined this forum sometime last year when I suddenly discovered a craze for the HMT Pilot. Though the world in general had written off HMT watches,there was, I discovered, a whole bunch of gentlemen like munno,Anand184 and Gansan among others who I feel are doing so much to keep the interest alive in one of the treasures of India- the HMT watch. They kept my interest and hope alive in this frustrating battle to get some HMT watches esp. the Pilot. In the course of this frustrating search, I discovered someother wonderful watches like the Janata,Sona and Rajat. I managed to get a black pilot after a very long search which involved lots of calls to both the Blore and the chennai showroom. Though I wanted to share the story, I was caught up in work and fogot about it. Also noticed that this favorite thread of mine was slowly gathering dust and except for the occassional post,nothing much. THere were times when I thought of posting my Pilot story but somehow it never happened.

Enter akshayb and his wonderful posts.I was really interested and intrigued when I found there was variations of the our dear Janata.Was really happy to see his posts and photos and now he has really outdone himself and I see a renewed interest from all the great HMT lovers...it is like our favorite thread is getting dusted .I have been meaning to write for a while but this morning when I saw the white and gold sona, I was floored...I had to write..thanks so much Akshay for bringing back this interest and also enlightening us.Please tell us where you got the white and gold sona from? I am sure all here want one:)

To all the other greats of the HMT Club, please keep up the interest in HMT alive-doing some thing that the govt could not. I wish all of us get our dream HMT watches this year

Have a great day
    Regards
    Jai
    pashyam likes this.

Re: My new HMT Pilot watch from India

Alright, this is my first post but have been lurking around for some time now. I have been interested in watches generally but never bothered about the HMT as I thought they were extinct!! However, only recently when I found out that there is a retail outlet in Chennai (while browsing the net) I managed to pay them a visit.

My first impression of that place was not all that good and I do not want to change it now also after many visits over the past few days. However, I fell in love with a watch then but didnt know about its history or anything. It was a Janata. When I did a bit of search about it that I came to know that it was a fantastic watch, adored by many.

My interest with HMT watches grew and now I can say I am a proud owner of 6 HMT watches (3 Janatas, 1 Black Pilot and 1 NASL 03 + An old watch which my dad got from his company in 1992!!)

Although much has been written about the Janatas, Pilots, Sonas and Rajats, I see that no much is mentioned about the newer models anywhere (rare, if any). Couple of previous posts do throw some light on them but i thought I will write something about the ADSL and NASLs so that people know about them too.

Mind you that the outlets do not have any brochure or literature on these and they won't allow you to take pics also.

All the watches described below have Atuomatic movements and I read somewhere that it is in fact Miyota.

The ADSLs come in 3 types:

ADSL 02- Rs. 2095
    ADSL 03- Rs. 2295
    ADSL 04- Rs. 2995

ADSL 02 has got a smaller round dial (~36mm??) and comes in white and blue colors with leather straps. The finish is superb and the texture of the white dial in particular is world class. (Below pic was posted earlier in this forum courtesy MaTTK; My new HMT Pilot watch from India - thread no. 3 of 3)

ADSL 02

ADSL 03 is HMTs effort to place itself in the international market and has comparitively a bigger dial that the 02 counterpart and is available again in blue and white dials. The dial size shoud be somewhere near 39-40 mm. Although I liked HMTs effort to create this masterpiece, I was not very happy with the fact that they have used plastic on the dial, which stands out obviously. My only concern is that the plastic may fade out with use and exposure to the sun.

They have a further smaller size in the same variant and I think that is for the ladies (but am not sure) and the leather strap used is a bit different.

ADSL 03

ADSL 03 Crown Engraving

ADSL 04- No idea. Have not seen this watch yet and no photographs available anywhere. Would be interested to see if any other member could gather some info on it.

The NASLs too have 3 types:

NASL 01- Rs. ??
    NASL 02- Rs. 3300
    NASL 03- Rs. 3300

NASL 01- No idea again. Anyone???

NASL 02- This watch is huge, guys, and looks amazing. The dial itself, I believe will be ~48mm including crown. The white dial and the brown leather strap are just out of this world. The new HMT logo on the dial is like fresh breath, although I like the older logos. It has sort of a squarish round shape with numerals at 12 & 6 and SS markers. The hands are luminous and will interest anyone who like big and heavy watches.

NASL 02 (Apologies for the bad quality; split second shot with a mobile phone camera)

NASL 03- Although many claim that the ADSL 03 is HMTs best watch so far, I feel that this watch is way ahead of the previous version. Firstly the big round dial is 45mm (exact) including crown, quick day/date @ 3, superb finish, shiny metallic bezel, simple but exudes richness. The texture of the dial material is beautiful in itself.

NASL 03 (Bought this morning; photo doesnt do justice to the watch)

NASL 03 Case Back

HMT IS OFFERING AN AMAZING 10% DISCOUNT ON ALL ADSL AND NASL MODELS; AND UPTO 25% ON OTHER MODELS

I hope you enjoyed my post and if there are any mistakes please feel free to correct me. Additions are also welcome.
    Last edited by dr_shiva29; January 9th, 2010 at 10:30.

Welcome to the forum, Dr. Shiva, and many thanks for the report and pictures!
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

My mere madness of HMT watches

Thanks "j4ester" for appreciating my posts, I can just say this is a my mere madness of HMT watches, now I can feel bit released and little bitterness in my archetypes in some corner of my heart of not welcomed by Crusader is gone now.
    Thanks Dr. Siva for posting beautiful Pics of NASL and ADSl Models. As many members have asked me to post Pics of these models. I can be bit leisurely in buying these models now, and have less difficult time every morning to decide which HMT to wear for the day.
    Being a Philatelist I have developed a habit to study objects in depth, I suppose this habit is working here also. Though I had a difficult time in our last Philatelic Society's meeting, as many members of society are behind me to help them in getting HMT watches. After seeing my HMT Janata.
    I think a new Cult is being created here of HMT watches' lovers.
    I would like to request Crusader to consider to start a new forum for HMT watches and shift all the posting in this thread to that.

Further I like to state that, I would be more than happy to help any member in regards to HMT watches.Please feel free for the same.

Thanks Guys once again for reading and appreciating my posts.:thanks

With Wishes
    AkshayB

Re: My mere madness of HMT watches

Quote Originally Posted by akshayb View Post
    I would like to request Crusader to consider to start a new forum for HMT watches and shift all the posting in this thread to that.
    I think Indian watches have benefited greatly from exposure to a wider audience. I don't think you would get nearly the same kind of exposure yet in a forum dedicated solely to Indian watches.
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Re: My mere madness of HMT watches

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    I think Indian watches have benefited greatly from exposure to a wider audience. I don't think you would get nearly the same kind of exposure yet in a forum dedicated solely to Indian watches.
    Yeah Martin I agree with you, May this thread live long.

With Wishes
    AkshayB

Dr.Shiva, thank you very much for posting those pictures of ADSL & NASL. I've been dying to see how NASL looks like and now I finally do, thanks to you. NASL really looks goods and HMT has done good job there. I am going to buy each of all three NASL. I was told that all three models comes in White, Blue & Black colour.

That NASL02 dial is kind of looking like Radiomir shape. And that NASL 03 is beauty. Somewhat similar looking to one of the Bulova watches.

I'll see if I could fill the gap and get those missing pictures. I have to rely on friends visiting HMT showroom and take some pictures. That is if they allow to take pictures. Not sure why HMT is so secrative about these ADSL & NASL watches and not even printing any marketing material or publishing on net.

Akshay, would appreciate if you could share some more info on the source of that white dial Sona, please.

Quote Originally Posted by munno View Post
    Dr.Shiva, thank you very much for posting those pictures of ADSL & NASL. I've been dying to see how NASL looks like and now I finally do, thanks to you. NASL really looks goods and HMT has done good job there. I am going to buy each of all three NASL. I was told that all three models comes in White, Blue & Black colour.

That NASL02 dial is kind of looking like Radiomir shape. And that NASL 03 is beauty. Somewhat similar looking to one of the Bulova watches.

I'll see if I could fill the gap and get those missing pictures. I have to rely on friends visiting HMT showroom and take some pictures. That is if they allow to take pictures. Not sure why HMT is so secrative about these ADSL & NASL watches and not even printing any marketing material or publishing on net.

Akshay, would appreciate if you could share some more info on the source of that white dial Sona, please.
    Dear Munno,
    I agree with you, clean, classy and elegant looks of NASL and ADSL watches coupled with a reliable sturdy movement makes them a desirable object, I think HMT has recently launched the White Sonas, I bought it from a local watch dealer, I believe that they shall be available all over the places in due course.

With Wishes
    AkshayB

As I mentioned previously that my photos of my new NASL 03 did not do justice to the watch, I am posting some fresh ones, for everyone to enjoy.

A few observations so far:

1. This watch is heavier than expected.
    2. The leather band, although looked good on first look, is a bit hard. Would have preferred something softer.
    3. The position of 9 is funny :)

However, I got second looks from people whomever I met today ;)

With best wishes,
    Shiva
    Hand Wound: HMT Janata (English, Hindi and Numeral Variant), HMT Pilot|||Automatic: HMT NASL 03, Flent Skeleton, Titan Fastrack|||Quartz: Tommy Hilfiger 1790478, Citizen Promaster Navihawk Red Devil Limited Edition JN0004-51E, HMT (model unknown)|||Solar: Casio Protrek PRG 200T

Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread Information