These Are Real Life Military Watches!
Like Tree118Likes

Thread: These Are Real Life Military Watches!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

These Are Real Life Military Watches!

I read through some posts about Military Watches and they were to say the least interesting! There were no Marathons, Rolexs, Tags, or any other Swiss made Watches I ever saw in combat! Why would you? I fired my M-4 thousands of times in anger and was in dozens of firefights - would the Swiss brands of held up? I don't know but I know these did! The Marathon may have been in the Req System - that I don't know but even as an Army Officer I could not have req-ed anything like that - the Col would have jumped my a55!! The four Watches I can confirm were in combat were Cassio, Timex, Seiko and Citizen! I wore the following in Bosnia, Iraq and Afghanistan - the G-Shock made over 20 jumps and withstood 5 years of deployment. The Pathfinder took 3 years of deployment and was still working when it hit the box They were worn as is underneath a digital camo Watch protector! I'm taking both today to get new batteries and will post an update!
    Attached Images Attached Images

heb, scooby, E8ArmyDiver and 15 others like this.

Re: These Are Real Life Military Watches!

It's a fairly well known fact that what watch companies tell us are military watches (worn by) and watches actually worn by guys who wield the shooty things are two different animals.

This is probably the only Real Life Military Watches thread that actually has real life military watches. Lets try to keep it that way.
    Last edited by Medusa; 1 Week Ago at 22:14.

I went through Ranger school with my 1973 Rolex rootbeer in the winter of 74-75 and gave it to a son about 5 years ago. It worked fine. When an other son was headed to Afghanistan for his second tour with 3rd SF, he asked for a Casio Pathfinder like one I had. It crapped out after 6 months.
    Chromejob likes this.

Forget the watches, thank you for serving our country!

One of my colleagues has been deployed several times, and he wears a Luminox.

The Marathon is a good, sturdy watch that would do as well as any Seiko, for those who wanted to own one. Lots of military guys have worn them even if the OP or his buddies have not. But just because a watch is on the GSA schedule doesn't mean the DoD will buy it for you.

One of the most popular PX watches in Vietnam was the Zodiac Aerospace GMT, with its main appeal being similar function to a Rolex at half the price. The movement was in the same category, finish-wise, as the ETA in a Marathon. The compressor-case watch was rated at 20 atmospheres, just like the Sea Wolf.

What do you do in country when the battery dies? Most of the time, replacements are easy to find. But not always.

G-Shocks are the standard indestructible cheapie, and plastic is easy to make in camo colors. But many in the military wear nicer watches of their own choosing, when not crawling in the dirt. Who wants to subject a nice watch to abuse?

Most military watches are based on historical models, and relate to actual military usage about the same as most dive watches relate to professional diving. It's an appealing aesthetic.

Of course, all the bulky protrusions on aG-Shock are just for show, too, and appeal to the same manly-man aesthetic as does a Hummer.

Rick "who has seen some mighty bold G-shocks on some wimpy, thin wrists" Denney
    Zenith: Captain Chronograph 03.2110.400*; Cartier: Santos 100 XL Concord: Mariner, C1 Big-Date, C1 v.2 Chronograph; Ebel: Chronosport 1134901, Tekton 9137L83*, Type E 9137C41* (*=COSC)
    Ebel: 1911 BTR 9137L73* and 9139L71*, 1911 1120L41*, 1911 Senior 9080241, Brasilias 9120M41 (2), Aquatica 500 9120K61, Classic Hexagon GMT 9301F61, Classic 100 LE 9120R41; Baume & Mercier: Capeland World-Timer
    Heuer: Carrera 1964 Re-Edition CS3110; Maurice Lacroix: Masterpiece MP6439; "Seagull": 1963 Reissue cal. ST19; Seiko: Black Monster SRP307; Poljot: Sturmanskie cal. 3133; Tissot: T-Touch Lew and Huey: Acciona
    Vintage: JLC: ref. 2953, ca. 1946; Longines: Flagship cal 285; Zodiac: SST cal. 86, Aerospace GMT cal. 72; Favre-Leuba: cal. 253; Tianjin: Dong Feng cal. ST5; Elgin: Gr. 152 (1898), Gr. 384 (1919); Ebel: ca. 1962 ref. 9214955
    WUS: ST5 Project Watches (Black and Blue), F72.2014.DG3804 (Gray and Cream); Swatch: Sistem 51 Blue; TNT: Rattrapante cal. Rochat 7750+RAT-1

On deployment I encouraged my guys to leave anything personal they would not wear 24/7 on base. I left my Seiko Pilot watch at home with my girlfriend!

I never had a battery crap out while deployed - but I did change them religiously - on average every 6 months! Believe it or not there was actually a Watch guy in the Pamir Mountains Afghanistan. I never dealt with him but he had loads of Pakistani, Chinese and other knockoff stuff - batteries too!
    ChiefWahoo and RightYouAreKen like this.

Thank you for your service. When I went to drill in the Naval reserves I always brough a ss cased timex atlantis on a OD fast wrap strap.
    Last edited by James Haury; 1 Week Ago at 22:11.

In so much as quartz watches can handle a beating far better than any mechanical, I just don't see the point of wearing a more expensive and far more delicate watch in the field. If this were 1971 it would be a different story.

GreatScott - it was my honor! I would have been a lifer but if I'm not allowed to win - I'm not gonna play! I saw to much "cost affective campaign management" - I will always remember that phrase - to stay in! I regularly got called before the man to justify my over abundant use of ordinances! My nickname was Cpt Brimstone - because I would reign down every last type of military ordinance I could call in! My favorite was the B-52 (the Buf....) strike and the "finger of God"!! I knew every artillery officer by voice and would buy them cases of Jack Daniels!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information