Bulova Moon Watch Review in A Blog To Watch
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Bulova Moon Watch Review in A Blog To Watch

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Bulova Moon Watch Review in A Blog To Watch

Bulova Special Edition Moon Chronograph Watch Review | aBlogtoWatch

Overall it's a good review.

This watch punches above it's weight, and that's coming from a guy that owns a Speedy also. The dial in the Bulova is more interesting than in the Speedy. Fit/finish is better in my Speedy but it better at 10x the price.

My single gripe is the case size, I wish it were closer in size to the original Bulova moon watch (which was close in size to a Speedy I believe). Outside of that, it's an excellent watch.
    Last edited by tmathes; December 19th, 2016 at 20:26.
    peewee102 likes this.

Re: Bulova Moon Watch Review in A Blog To Watch

The thing that kills me on this watch is the movement. Although it's incredibly accurate, it's second hand doesn't sweep. It kills me. The accutron is amazing...in part because it sweeps.

Quote Originally Posted by skahn21 View Post
    The thing that kills me on this watch is the movement. Although it's incredibly accurate, it's second hand doesn't sweep. It kills me. The accutron is amazing...in part because it sweeps.
    I think the slower second hand (which steps in 1/2 sec. increments) was to improve battery life. Doesn't bother me, one advantage of this watch over my Speedy is it doesn't need a rather pricey routine maintenance/cleaning.
    peewee102 likes this.

I do love a sweeping second...but I can't think of any other watch that has a ticking second hand at .5 second intervals. Maybe there are some, but I don't know of any. Kind of a unique thing as the sweeping second hand on a quartz becomes less novel.

I love the moonwatch.
    Current Collection
    Hamilton Jazzmaster Day Date Auto - Black H32505731
    Tissot Visodate White/Silver - T019.430.16.031.01
    Bulova Moonwatch
    Seiko SNKN01

Seiko 5 Automatic SNK807

Former Collection
    Omega SMP 2551.80 (sold)
    Alpina Extreme Diver AL-240LBO3V6 (sold)

"Time nor tide wait for no man"

I read & listened to that review on ABTW this morning. AA was pretty enthusiastic about the watch. I agreed with him on everything.

I don't mind the ticking small second hand at all. If there was one thing I'd change is have the chrono & 1/20sec hands snap back to zero when resetting the chronograph.

Quote Originally Posted by skahn21 View Post
    I thought it was a sweeping seconds hand! talk about disappointment, but given the size I don't think I'm getting one anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Pato_Lucas View Post
    I thought it was a sweeping seconds hand! talk about disappointment, but given the size I don't think I'm getting one anytime soon.
    No, the Bulova Precisionist chronos are the only models from them with the smooth sweeping second hand, they also are much larger/bulkier cases and more power hungry than this model. The Accutron II 3 handers have a smooth sweep second hand too.

The 262kHz labeled chronos had a second hand that moves in 1/2 second steps. It's still a great watch, the dial detail is fantastic, especially given the price.

The article doesn't mention how long the lume lasts. Is it comparable to a ubiquitous Seiko SKX?
    Gmt77 likes this.

I have been saving for the other type of Moonwatch but since reading reviews of the Bulova I might have changed my mind (for the moment)...
    UofRSpider likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by snowmonkey View Post
    I have been saving for the other type of Moonwatch but since reading reviews of the Bulova I might have changed my mind (for the moment)...
    I have both, Omega and Bulova. The Speedy still looks more refined, has better finish and is better proportioned (plus of course is smaller). On the other hand, the Omega costs 10+x as much so it better be of higher fit/finish. I find I wear the Bulova more since it's a simple 'grab and go' quartz. The look is similar but there is no mistaking the two. My main gripe with the Bulova is the case size.

I still love both of them, Bulova rates a lot higher for 'bang for the buck' without question. The Bulova dial is more interesting than the Omega and of course for it's basic function, time keeping, it's vastly more accurate than the Omega. That being said, if you want a Speedy, not to knock the Bulova but it is no substitute. If pressed the Bulova would go before the Omega.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information