WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

First Accutron - What did (should) I do?

3K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Badfish179 
#1 ·
Hi all -

I didn't mean to buy an Accutron so quickly, but ended up letting a bidding war get the better of me and picked up my first Accutron on Ebay - BULOVA ACCUTRON SPACEVIEW M6 MEN'S WATCH | eBay

It hasn't arrived yet, but what are some things I should do to preserve it? I've already ordered an Accucell 1.35v battery, and I'm sure a trip to Old Father Time will be in order at some point, but is there any harm in just enjoying it if it works for the time being?

Also, the band will go - does anyone use a NATO on these (primarily because it is all I have in 18mm)?

#2 ·
Looks like you have got yourself a nice Swiss Spaceview there, and at a good price too!
Non-original Speidel bracelet suits it more than any NATO can-(IMHO)
Well worth getting it serviced ASAP - then it won't need another for > 10years if cleaned & lubed properly. Bulova, back in the day,originally stated that the Accutron movement, unlike regular watches, did not need routine servicing.
Enjoy your new acquisition -if I had seen it on the bay I would have been bidding too!

#4 · (Edited)
Very nice Spaceview, and it has a Swiss caseback!!! I was wondering why you ordered a 1.35v expensive accucell battery when these watches run fine on 1.55 silver oxides? And I can only say, do some research and take your time finding a repair agent. Ask questions. I would not go with OldfatherTime......That's all I will say. I have no beef with them. There are better options out there.

#13 ·
Congrats on the purchase Nick_D. You're certain to be hooked with the tuning fork "bug" now. You've actually jumped past plenty of more average Accutrons right up to a model that's not often seen. Please, though.... don't install a common NATO strap on that watch. Not only does it not look right on it compared to a vintage bracelet or a nice quality leather strap, but it will also put wear on the caseback. NATO straps look more correct on divewatches, not a classy pieces like an Accutron. Course.... that's just my opinion.

Eric

Reactions: SAM2 and UK humbug
#14 ·
I have a few Of the acutron 214 and they're great. Eric Grafton restored one for me and it was excellent. Wait and see how you was Ron's before you do anything to it. The advice they gave on the batteries is good. Good luck with your new watch I know you will love it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.