WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Affordable "dress" watch for beginner.

18K views 25 replies 20 participants last post by  3ther 
#1 ·
I'm mostly a g-shock guy.. that being said, I don't dress up much (or have to). Recently, more events have popped up in my life have popped up where I should have a dress watch such as team dinners and school dances (I play HS soccer). My few requirements are that it must be under $100 and preferably a case diameter of around 40mm. I am open to all suggestions, thank you.

I was looking at this by the way Seiko Watch SNK809K2 Men's Seiko 5 Automatic Black Dial Black Fabric | eBay - any experience with it?

#2 ·
First thing to pop into mind was HMT Sona because I just got one. Astonishing looks for the price but only 34mm diameter.

The Seiko you linked is very popular here but I wouldn't call it dressy in the slightest. It's more of a military look. SNX123 would be more of the dressier look. (borrowed pic)
Or you could look for other Seiko 5s to your liking in this thread. https://www.watchuseek.com/f71/show-off-your-seiko-5-a-702513.html

Attachments

#14 ·
I would suggest doubling your budget and looking at the incredible options offered by Seagull for around $200. If this is simply not possible, if you could stretch the budget a little bit you could look at some nice looking Orients.

#18 ·
I will throw in my vote for visiting a Time Factory Outlet. The Timex Originals and Easy Reader series have several very inexpensive, simple and elegant watches that would be right at home in any dressy situation. I just ordered the T2M556, which is styled after the old-school Rolex Datejust:

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

#19 ·
Android AD329AG. Always somewhere in the $75 to $95 range online. Available on Amazon.

#21 ·
It's best to avoid gold tones. Stick to stainless steel.

Why? I used to think this. I used to think I couldn't pull off gold because I'm ginger and therefore pretty pasty. Then I got a couple of gold or gold-tone watches, and realized that it pretty much looks good on anyone. Sure, it'll look better if you have darker skin, but it's not going to look bad, especially if it's on a dress watch.
I wear a class ring of a contrasting color (white gold, actually) with my gold watches, and that's not really a problem either.
For what it's worth I think that Android's pretty cool. I might pick one up once I sell a couple watches.
For the record, I think the Seikos posted would work well. Orient also makes some pretty nice dress watches, but they're so much less attractive to me now that the 50% codes didn't work. I guess it was inevitable...I just wished I had bought a few more!
Also, run with a Timex if you're feeling unsure. They're tough little SOBs, and they look good. The Easy Reader is pretty dressy, pretty cheap, and looks good on both leather straps and colorful nylon straps, for a more casual/ preppy look.

#25 ·
I think gold toned watches that aren't actually gold invariably look cheap. That's why I don't like it. Real gold looks great.

#26 ·
There is always the vintage option. The only issue with that is that you will have to factor in servicing the watch, which would probably put you in over $100.

Generally, I'd say avoid Parnis for dress watches as they're usually quite thick and don't fit under a shirt cuff. the HMT watches would be perfect as they're quite slim, and the smaller diameters are pretty understated. If you're willing to spend a little bit more, you can check out some of Orient's offerings as well, and use the 30% coupon code on them. Probably will come in somewhere from $150-180.

Best of luck on your search!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.