Like Tree387Likes

Thread: Affordable Nomos homage review (Rodina Small Seconds) with pictures

Page 2 of 120 FirstFirst 12345678910111252102 ... LastLast

Re: Affordable Nomos homage review (Rodina Small Seconds) with pictures

Quote Originally Posted by brwaldm View Post
    Skywatch, were did you find out the other info on this one? The Tao Bao site I saw was very vague on details...I will say though that that the crystal is indeed flat and that the reflection in the pictures is a shadow from the thickness. I also enjoyed your new term - zombie mushroom homage (a first at WUS?), and I always thought it was weird that every time I searched for Rodina it came up as a russian brand. I will be interested to hear your thoughts when you get yours.

A little OT, but I was also going to ask which Nomos you owned...I always thought that I wanted the Tangomat (which I think is 38mm) vs the Tangente (which I think is smaller at around 35-36mm) but really didn't anticipate how large 38mm would wear in this style.

Hi there - sorry for the slow reply, I was away from my computer last night. The link where I found the Rodina was a TaoBao Agent, here. AndreaB found the link a few weeks ago and posted it on another thread. Most of the other guesses in my post are just inferences based on sketchy Googling, and I could be wrong. Indeed, thank you for the correction regarding Tangomat at 38mm and Tangente at 35mm. That makes sense. Actually I think Nomos is making different sized versions of all of their watches, so there might perhaps be both. My Nomos is a whopping 40mm Ludwig Datum (the Roman numeral dial) and it's true that Nomos' designs look much larger than their dimensions would imply. The thinness of the watch contributes to its sense of width oddly enough. Just for reference here are wrist shots of my Nomos and Stowa Antea 390:

Name:  Nomos13.jpg
Views: 11786
Size:  92.2 KB

Name:  StowaAngle.jpg
Views: 10728
Size:  112.3 KB
    ColonialBoy likes this.
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

"The new servant of the sun has aspirations to become its master. A prosthetic device, yes: worn on the wrist, watches tie people to the celestial clockwork. Hundreds of millions of them, lying in what pockets, on what wrists, under what sleeves, revolve in time with it. Yet although they watch the sun, watches have established a kind of independence. They tick as remorselessly through the night as through the day, through the winter as through the summer, as though their environment is not going through vast changes in each 24 hours and each year. These perturbations are part of the lives of all other animals, but people have been encouraged by their clocks to ignore the daily and seasonal cycles and to pretend that there is nothing to contend with but metronome-paced linear time. We appear to have caged the sun inside a machine." Michael Young, The Metronomic Society, p. 204

I was going to buy one of these Rodina watches, but it looked a bit too chunky for my tastes. I settled for a late 1930's vintage Kano watch until I can get a Nomos Tangente.

Name:  DSC_0069.jpg
Views: 15572
Size:  654.4 KB
    JohnF, Chascomm, dowsing and 19 others like this.
    Collector of all things - Philosophy/Poetry/Polaroids
    Nomos,
    Cartier, Omega, HMT, Movado-Zenith, Jacob Jensen,
    Swatch, Porsche Design, Timex

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen V View Post
    Ÿ.װȫԶеֱm187SʯƷл-Ա
    There are plenty in stock :), at least 30 of each left.

You have to use a middle-man/agent to buy it for you and ship it to you. TaoBaoNow is a popular one that we use in the Chinese Mechanical Forum. There's also TaoBao Buying Agent which some people have used.
    Does any one know what the different colour options mean, google translate isn't too helpful...

Brown with black plate
    Black Pad Black Belt
    White disc Black Belt
    Blue plate Black Belt
    Blue plate brown belt
    Brown with white diskHas been selected

Thanks
    Dan

Thanks

Well, they're certainly doing a good job getting close to the looks of the original one. The original is a bit thinner (8,3mm) and the hands are a bit different (length)
    I have a Nomos Tangomat lying in it's watchbox for almost three months now without me wearing it. Not because I don't want to but because it gets replaced in 4 to 6 weeks with a new one.
    The Rodina could have been my choice back then but the Tangomat was my 40th birthday present so I doubt that
    Anyway nice catch
    Spreek je ook Nederlands? Kom dan naar het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

Quote Originally Posted by iamdans View Post
    Does any one know what the different colour options mean, google translate isn't too helpful...
    Dial color and strap color. There's black, white and blue (looks gray-blue-ish) dials and black or brown strap.

Found this earlier....not that I'm looking for another watch ;))
    NIVREL Design, hand winding, Ref. NZ 14.001 | eBay
    Armchair likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by arktika1148 View Post
    Found this earlier....not that I'm looking for another watch ;))
    NIVREL Design, hand winding, Ref. NZ 14.001 | eBay
    I'm not loving the dial texture.
    Collector of all things - Philosophy/Poetry/Polaroids
    Nomos,
    Cartier, Omega, HMT, Movado-Zenith, Jacob Jensen,
    Swatch, Porsche Design, Timex

I know it has already been answered by other helpful members, but I used Tao Bao buying agent:

Taobao agent The Seagull OEM original fully automatic the mechanical watch m187S sapphire table mirror authentic licensed china english wholesale

I choose my color and then had to wait until the agent ordered, and then I added funds to my account there through PayPal. It is kind of confusing because everything on the agent site seems incorrect except for the color of the watch. Just make sure you add enough money for shipping which is actuallypaid to the agent. The whole processtook a couple of weeks

Thanks for the link. paypal too.....two clicks away from ordering the white dial.....then saw the lugs :((
    Great looker, very impessed, always liked the Nomo

Thread Information