Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Affordable watch forum, this one?s for you: Lew and Huey The Riccardo

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Watchuseek Editor

Affordable watch forum, this one’s for you: Lew and Huey The Riccardo

Name:  The Riccardo.jpg
Views: 2346
Size:  181.4 KB

Chris ‘Doc’ Vail doesn’t just know his market. He is the market. As of today he has notched up 4,614 posts on Watchuseek, and that’s in just 11 months. Many of those posts are routine forum chatter; asking questions in search of knowledge, answering questions to those in need, helping others with hard-to-find purchases, and commenting negatively or positively on watches.

Name:  The Riccardo blue dial.jpg
Views: 2569
Size:  186.2 KB

Chris spends most of his Watchuseek time in F71, the affordable watch sub-forum, which he views as his "home forum". Here he basks in the friendly atmosphere and camaraderie and it’s for these guys, who really know their stuff when it comes to what makes a value for money watch, that he dedicates his own watch creation.

Name:  Let's see that Riccardo on the steering wheel.jpg
Views: 2365
Size:  66.5 KB

In developing his first watch and a string of other models, Chris believes his time on the forum has proven invaluable. It’s helped him to understand just what people want.

However, as Chris has discovered, knowing what people want and then developing your own watch concept from scratch is not for the faint of heart. It’s so much easier to be critical of other people’s efforts. You only start to understand what designers go through when you sit down and design a watch yourself.

Name:  0000008015-800_2796-resize.jpg
Views: 2222
Size:  149.3 KB

Watch enthusiasts can be incredibly brutal. Writers for car magazines can always find something positive to say about any car, but if the watch guys don't like a watch - they absolutely trash it. And since there's really no pleasing everyone, he has had to endure some pretty negative commentary along the way. And, as is often the case on forums, a couple of negative comments can sometimes inspire a burst dam of pent-up ire.

So what exactly is the watch that is causing such a volatile mixture of brickbats and bouquets?

Name:  The Riccardo in a natural setting.jpg
Views: 2504
Size:  105.9 KB

As most Affordable Watch Forum members will know only too well by now, it’s the Lew and Huey 'The Riccardo'.

The styling of The Riccardo is born of comments Chris picked up during his many hours spent on the Watchuseek forums, learning what people like and don’t like about watch design on everything aspect from specs to pricing. Some of the forum members' input is reflected in the design cues such as the sunburst pattern of the dial, the stylised second hand, the twisted lugs, and the uncluttered dial.

Chris has designed The Riccardo as a rally-inspired automatic chronograph which he hopes will raise pulses and evoke the sporting thrill of modern auto racing.

The premise for Chris’ watch designs are sporty and fun styles that are original, but still familiar, as they take inspiration from other great designs. The Riccardo has flavours inspired by some of the rally driving greats including the Rolex Daytona, the Zenith El Primero, the Jack Heuer Carrera, the Omega Aqua Terra, and the Hamilton Pan Europ.

The name was inspired by Italian F1 drivers, notably Riccardo Paletti and Riccardo Patrese. But this choice has met with more criticism than the watch itself. The electrified dog logo has received some stick. As Chris explains, “People really don't like the brand name or the logo. I get it, the name and logo isn't everyone's cup of tea, but it makes me want to ask, "yes, but what do you think of the watch?" Very few people who know watches have said they're not good value. And I've only read a few comments that the designs were "homages" - they're really not, at least not in the sense that I was trying to replicate any one watch design.”

As for the specs, the 36mm Riccardo runs on the Seagull ST1940 automatic chronograph movement. It features sapphire crystal glass with an interior anti-reflective coating to reduce glare, good lume, a sapphire crystal caseback to enjoy a tantalising view of the movement, 10 ATM water resistance. The size and shape of the case, the ergonomic lugs and oblong pushers have all been designed for maximum comfort and functionality.

The black strap is a soft, supple leather with contrasting orange stitches, fastened with a signed stainless steel deployant clasp. And the all important price point, one of the most critical factors on the Affordable Watch Forum (drum roll)….$475.00.

Want one? Of course you do. You can either Pre-Pay $450 now and reserve your serial number below (if available) or pre-order with a $237.50 deposit now and pay $237.50 prior to shipment. Just select "No Preference" for the Serial Number.

So, as Chris is dying to know, what do you all think?

Visit the Lew and Huey website
    Last edited by Michael Weare; September 12th, 2013 at 02:19.

Re: Affordable watch forum, this one’s for you: Lew and Huey The Riccardo

#68 blue on the way!
    docvail likes this.

I needed a blue chronograph to replace a Citizen I sold awhile ago, what can I say?

#63 Blue here, and I'll be wearing it quite a bit

Z
    docvail likes this.

Looking forward to my #74 black. This is going to be my first chrono.
    docvail likes this.

I have "liked" this post if only because I love seeing those Riccardo prototype shots all in one place. Man, they do look good (kudos to Chris and Grant/Drew/Rick/Joshua on their photography skills).
    I'm happy to have #21 Blue coming when they are ready.

... but that black/orange is pretty sweet...
    docvail likes this.
    Hidden Content - max
    Oris BC3 Advanced - Lew&Huey Riccardo - Orient Millenium - Seiko new Orange Monster - Hamilton Khaki Field Mechanical - Seiko SSC021

Exciting. #75 blue on it's way to me here in the UK. I see payment taken today too so we must be getting close! Can't wait. Absolutely fantastic to see such a visually compelling design go from the drawing board to my wrist - nearly there! Well done Chris!
    docvail likes this.

Love the riccardo. Mine is hopefully to arrive soon. The dial is 36 mm, not the watch (typo in review above) Don't want anyone to think this is a tiny watch. It's not a small dress watch. It's a perfect, beefy watch that IS NOT a Big Ben |nVi€+@. It's the perfect size!
    docvail likes this.
    Δός μοι πᾶ στῶ καὶ τὰν γᾶν κινάσω.
    Give me where to stand and I will move the earth

Archimedes quoted by Pappus of Alexandria

Looks fantastic. Congrats to all involved, it's a pity I'm saving for something else!
    docvail likes this.
    Christopher Ward C60 GMT
    Omega Speedmaster Professional 3570.50.00
    Tissot Visodate Seastar
    Seiko 6139-6002, birth year 1973

Quote Originally Posted by jeepie View Post
    Exciting. #75 blue on it's way to me here in the UK. I see payment taken today too so we must be getting close! Can't wait. Absolutely fantastic to see such a visually compelling design go from the drawing board to my wrist - nearly there! Well done Chris!

Argggg. You took 75? One of the ones I wanted.......

just kidding. There were other numbers I wanted more, when I find out who took them.........
    docvail likes this.
    Δός μοι πᾶ στῶ καὶ τὰν γᾶν κινάσω.
    Give me where to stand and I will move the earth

Archimedes quoted by Pappus of Alexandria

I'm really looking forward to strapping #8 blue on my wrist. It seems like ages ago that Docvail burst into this forum with wild ideas of creating his own automatic chronograph. In reality, things have moved pretty quickly and it looks like it will be a great watch.
    docvail likes this.
    Brad
    - appreciating fine affordable watches since 2011

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information