Android watches - Are they good watches?
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Android watches - Are they good watches?

-->
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Android watches - Are they good watches?

Hey everyone,

I was wondering, I'm noticing a lot of Android watch buyers lately, especially on Facebook's (WOTD - Watch of the Day), where I see many people showing their love for Androids. But are they good watch company? Or are people going crazy for them because of the size and look?
    Watches Owned:
    - Casio G-Shock DW5600E-1V, G-Shock DW6600C-1V, G-Shock DW6900-1V,
    G-Shock Rescue Red G7900A-4, G-Shock DW9052-1V, G-Shock Mudman G9000-8V (Stormtrooper), G-Shock Gulfman G9100-1, G-Shock GA-100A-7ADR, G-Shock GD-100-1AJF, G-Shock G-Lide GLX-5600 (Red, Blue), Pathfinder Triple Sensor PAG40-7, Waveceptor WV200A-2AV | Fossil Blue FS-5001, Fossil Big Tic JR-1822 | Invicta 1103 Chronograph, Invicta 1439 Russian Diver Rose, Invicta 6860 Eagle Force Collection Red Dial, Invicta 8926C Pro Diver Collection Coin-Edge | Orient CDBAA003A (Metro), CEM5J005B, CEM75004B (Mako XL), CTT02003W, EM65-C5 CA (Pepsi) | Seiko 5 SNK357, SNXF09K | Sinobi 3585G | Stuhrling Classic Delphi Omega Automatic Skeleton | Swiss Military Hanowa Sealander 316L | Timex 395LA

Watches on my targeted list for 201x:

- Citizen AP1020-57A Eco-Drive Calibre 8651 Moon Phase/Hamilton Jazzmaster #H38615255/Omega 2208.50.00 Seamaster Planet Ocean/Tissot T033.410.11.053.00 /Tissot T0284171105700 T-Classic

Re: Android watches - Are they good watches?

I'd be curious to hear some opinions too. I haven't seen a single one in the wild here in Canada, so I'm curious as to how well they're built. Design wise, I'm not a big fan, though there are one or two I could see adding to my collection for the right $$....

I like a few of their designs, and actually picked up an Octopus dive watch on the 'bay a while back. Solid construction, IMHO, 200m WR, screw-down crown, Miyota movement... all elements of a good workhorse watch. The Octopus also has a variety of dial colors, so that's cool. I can't say that this applies to all their watches, but I certainly don't have any reservations about picking up another one if I find the right combo of price and style. Here's my Octopus wearing a Band Fever bracelet:
    Name:  Octopus-09.JPG
Views: 28944
Size:  175.5 KB
    Name:  Octopus-08.JPG
Views: 29478
Size:  156.5 KB
    Clair
    The Originals, Summer / Winter
    Android Octopus on Oyster
    Citizen Tiny Pilot Eco-Drive Mod on Mesh
    Longines Dolce Vita on OEM Bracelet
    Omega SM300 Chronometer on Mesh
    OWC Milsub 5517 on Oyster

OWC Snowflake 9401 on Mesh
    Rolex 6564 on Rivets

Seiko SNN209 Chronograph on OEM Bracelet
    Seiko Bell-Matic Gold on Zulu

Suunto Core Light Green
    Zeno-Watch Basel Combat Winder on Zulu / Leather

Projects, Summer / Winter
    Area Fiddy-One on Zulu / Leather
    Buck Fifty on Links / Leather
    ExploMaster on Zulu / Leather
    Hamilton Carbon 917 on Hirsch Pure
    Mid-Size Pilot on Zulu / Leather

Banned
    where leaves, boatmen, dinosaurs, and a bevy of other losers pretend to play sports

Depends on your definition of "good". Depending on the model, I wouldn't reccomend against them, so if you see one you like at a good price, go for it. TicToc Octopus is a great example of a good deal - that Miyota is a workhorse movement.

Stones will be thrown, I'm sure, but, Android is just another Invicta; without the bullsh!t and retarded MSRPs. They make cheapos with chinese/quartz movements, good deals with Japanese mechanicals, and they also use Swiss ETA movements as well. I best if you look on the bay right now you'll find ones going for less than $20 gently used, and some over $2,500 with 2824's and diamond bezels.

There are lots of difference between the 2, yes, but they both buy buckets of movements from every country and wholesaler there is, and stick them in thier own cases.

When I first joined WUS, I started looking at the Octopus but eventually ended up with an Orient. IIRC, isn't that case diameter 50mm?

Quote Originally Posted by TicTocTach View Post
    I like a few of their designs, and actually picked up an Octopus dive watch on the 'bay a while back. Solid construction, IMHO, 200m WR, screw-down crown, Miyota movement... all elements of a good workhorse watch. The Octopus also has a variety of dial colors, so that's cool. I can't say that this applies to all their watches, but I certainly don't have any reservations about picking up another one if I find the right combo of price and style. Here's my Octopus wearing a Band Fever bracelet:
    Name:  Octopus-09.JPG
Views: 28944
Size:  175.5 KB
    Name:  Octopus-08.JPG
Views: 29478
Size:  156.5 KB
    Clair

Pack66,
    The Octopus is about 42mm, a very nice size for me and probably most other folks. Android does have some larger cases, but anything over 47mm doesn't apeal to me much - excluding the Omega Railmaster XXL, and it's not really affordable. Android isn't the best for giving out specs on their watches, so you have to do some research to know what you're looking at. As B&C noted, you can find a wide variety of movements an materials in an Android, and content determines the better part of a value. I think the MSRP of an Octopus is around $200, they can be bought new for ~$120, and I got mine used (and thoroughly perfumed - female seller) for about $40. The silicone strap still reeks.

Clair
    The Originals, Summer / Winter
    Android Octopus on Oyster
    Citizen Tiny Pilot Eco-Drive Mod on Mesh
    Longines Dolce Vita on OEM Bracelet
    Omega SM300 Chronometer on Mesh
    OWC Milsub 5517 on Oyster

OWC Snowflake 9401 on Mesh
    Rolex 6564 on Rivets

Seiko SNN209 Chronograph on OEM Bracelet
    Seiko Bell-Matic Gold on Zulu

Suunto Core Light Green
    Zeno-Watch Basel Combat Winder on Zulu / Leather

Projects, Summer / Winter
    Area Fiddy-One on Zulu / Leather
    Buck Fifty on Links / Leather
    ExploMaster on Zulu / Leather
    Hamilton Carbon 917 on Hirsch Pure
    Mid-Size Pilot on Zulu / Leather

Android is one that I don't quite get. Like Biased said, you can find decent "lightly used" automatics on eBay for $50 and under. Alternatively, they also make this monstrosity: ANDROID SWISS ETA 25 JWL CHRONOGRAPH 2 CT DIAMOND WATCH - eBay (item 160515822203 end time Feb-03-11 22:36:05 PST) (seriously, who spends $4800 on an ebay listing with a photo that blurry?)
    Current Favorites: Hamilton Khaki Field Day/Date; Junghans Voyager; Orient Ray Blue
    This Is My Next: Longines Evidenza; Zeppelin Mediterranee Big Date
    Attainable Grails:
    Christopher Ward C9 Harrison Chronograph (White!); Nomos Tangomat; Longines Master Collection Automatic; Maurice Lacroix Masterpiece Fly-Back Chrono

I have had my Octopus for over a year and I'm very pleased with it. It is part of my regular rotation and it has been working just fine. I find that most of Android's styles are too "out there" for my tastes but I do like the subdued look of my black Octopus.

WUS sponsor, Island Watch, has a good selection of Android watches. You can check them out here, Android Watches - Affordable Design.

I like Android. I have a few and my favorite is the open heart hydraumatic. It has a yellow trim under the dial but in various lights it shows as blue or green. There is a coating on the crystal that plays with the color. I think it is unique and enjoy wearing it.
    I heard that Androids from a few years ago had not so good bracelets or bands on them but that Wing heard the complaints and improved them. I have a Maxjet quartz and the bracelet on it is one of the neatest bracelets I have on a watch.
    For the price it is a pretty decent watch, I have not been disappointed in any of mine. Android has been going large lately on their watches, I look for the mid size ones and if there is one I like, I will not hesitate to get one. I have not and will not spend more than $200.00 on one.
    Wing seems to take pride in what he puts out, I belong to another forum that has an Android section and there are no real complaints on Android. If there is a problem, Android fixes it quickly.

The Octopus was about the only watch that stood out to me from Android. I like that it's a clean yet somewhat unusual design. The rotating inner ring (forgive me as I'm still learning my watch terminology) is pretty cool...something that has made me look at the Prometheus OD. What are people getting for accuracy?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information