Anyone bought a "grab bag" from shopgoodwill.com before?

Thread: Anyone bought a "grab bag" from shopgoodwill.com before?

-->

Anyone bought a "grab bag" from shopgoodwill.com before?

Always curious to see what's in one of these:

5 lb bag
    Name:  sa189495282-t3.jpg
Views: 1897
Size:  29.8 KB

16 lb bag
    Name:  sa479915781-77.jpg
Views: 2360
Size:  39.0 KB

Odds are there has to be at least ONE good watch in the mix, right?
    Casio G-Shock AWG100-1A (Daily Driver)
    Casio G-Shock
    DW-9000B-1A4VT (Family Time)
    Victorinox Swiss Army Maverick II Quartz Chronograph (Important Meetings)
    Victorinox Swiss Army Summit XLT Quartz (Beater)
    Citizen Eco-Drive BM8475-26E (Newbie)
    Elgin Vintage Quartz 2-Tone Day-Date (Nostalgia)
    Polar FT40 Heart Rate Monitor (Exercise)
    Seiko Black Dress Watch Quartz (Date Night)

Re: Anyone bought a "grab bag" from shopgoodwill.com before?

I wouldn't count on getting a good watch, but I think that there are pretty good chances on getting a strap or three.

How much were they?

The Goodwill by me doesn't have bags that large. They usually have ziploc bags for $5 with a half dozen or so watches in it. The best I've ever seen in one of those bags was a Fossil Blue, but it just wasn't enough for me to drop $5 on it.

I was lucky enough to get two straps one time for $3 each at Goodwill. A black DeBeers croc grain with deployant clasp, and a brown Hirsch lizard grain. I sold the DeBeers with the deployant on the bay for $20 since it was a short strap and didn't fit me.

Quote Originally Posted by baco99 View Post
    Always curious to see what's in one of these:

5 lb bag
    Name:  sa189495282-t3.jpg
Views: 1897
Size:  29.8 KB

16 lb bag
    Name:  sa479915781-77.jpg
Views: 2360
Size:  39.0 KB

Odds are there has to be at least ONE good watch in the mix, right?
    I buy grab bags like this regularly. I make steampunk/altered art timepieces and other jewelry. Depending upon your definition of a good watch, there are usually a few decent pieces in them that are worth fixing up, as long as you're not expecting anything in mint shape. The majority of these end up just parts fodder for me, but I've found plenty of Bulovas, Citizens, Seikos, Walthams, older mechanical Timexes, etc. which I don't tear apart (not because they're worth anything, but because I happen to like them). I'm a collector/hobbyist, and I add them to the collection and attempt to fix them if they don't work. I've never found anything that was worth more than maybe 50 bucks or so, and anything found in these grab bag lots can be generally assumed to need work - at least a cleaning and lube, but perhaps more if it's mechanical; and at least a battery, possibly a cleaning if it's a quartz. The general rule is, though, if you put a battery in a quartz and it doesn't start up, it's probably not worth fixing, and the vast majority of what you'll find in these are cheap, jewel-less quartz movements made by Miyota or some Chinese company, and they're junk. That's fine for artists/hobbyists like myself who don't mind fixing things up or need the parts, but if you're looking for a working timepiece or something rare that's worth some cash, you shouldn't waste your time on them. Just my 2 cents!

Im confused, what is this site exactly? Looks like like ebay with less items on it.

I've bought two watch lots off the internet, the first one was a cracker, about 6kg, cost me $124.00 + $17.00 delivery. Sold a Seiko Quartz straight off after replacing the battery $51.00. Sold a Seiko Sports 5 after replacing the crystal ($30.00) for $123.00. Also a ladies Gold Girard Perregaux, did nothing $134.00. A vintage gold hamilton that was running fast for $36.00, did nothing to it. I bought a heap of batteries and managed to get 63 working but I only got $81.00 for that as a lot, definitely a mistake, I should have sold individually. So all up it cost approx. $250 and I sold almost everything for about $420, I still have a great ladies Omega left over that I was going to give to a family member, I reckon that's worth between $50 and $100.

So the second lot, absolute junk , $71.00 + $41.00 delivery, about 6kg, described as an estate lot, got three crap working ladies automatics, none of the Quartz worked and most of them were cheap meal freebies or were broken in some way, crowns, glass etc, not one quality watch amongst them. I might manage to recoup some money but will have to buy a lot of batteries.

So to sum up, there are some genuine watch lots out there that people are selling because they can't be bothered going through the watches but there are others that are putting a whole lot of watches together that are absolute junk and describing them as good estate watch lots that they haven't looked through but they have.

I think it's take your chances, study the photos and buyer hard. I believe my first purchase was a one off.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by IanC View Post
    Im confused, what is this site exactly? Looks like like ebay with less items on it.
    Goodwill is a non-profit organization that supports adults and families with economic and employment difficulties. They mostly handle workforce readiness programs. Sort of like Salvation Army, but without the religious underpinnings. These watches and other items are donations from individuals or estates that allow Goodwill to take in additional income besides philanthropic support.

Do I see 2 G-Shocks in this listing?

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions...g-8359389.html
    Casio G-Shock AWG100-1A (Daily Driver)
    Casio G-Shock
    DW-9000B-1A4VT (Family Time)
    Victorinox Swiss Army Maverick II Quartz Chronograph (Important Meetings)
    Victorinox Swiss Army Summit XLT Quartz (Beater)
    Citizen Eco-Drive BM8475-26E (Newbie)
    Elgin Vintage Quartz 2-Tone Day-Date (Nostalgia)
    Polar FT40 Heart Rate Monitor (Exercise)
    Seiko Black Dress Watch Quartz (Date Night)

Thread Information