Automatic Vs. Kinetic

Thread: Automatic Vs. Kinetic

-->
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Automatic Vs. Kinetic

Now I do not have any kinetics, and I'm still waiting on the arrival of my first automatic, but the concept of the kinetic watch seems facinating to me (no watch winding at all!). But it seems like automatics are more prevalent and popular to watch collectors, and I wanted to know why kinetics weren't getting as much love. Is it because watch's main capacitor will eventually wear out and need to be replaced. Please fill me in.

Re: Automatic Vs. Kinetic

I think its that mechanical and mechanical automatics are purist forms of watchmaking(movements) and time keeping. With all the gears and parts working together to keep good and accurate time. Its a watch with soul with no gimmicks. Kenetics have there own merit also IMHO. Mechanicals are just the original form of timekeeping.

I'm very new to the watch game, but I thought that Kinetics were also a form of mechanical watch. Can you please clarify this for me. Also, what are the drawbacks to a kinetic watch?

I dont think there are drawbacks at all. And kinetics IMO can be considered both mechanical and quartz like. The rotor resembles a mechanical while the charge it keeps is more like a quartz. With a kinetic you charge the watch with your hand movements, but it stores the energy in a capacitator instead of a spring. I think of it as a middle ground because there are no batteries but also it has the accuracy of a quartz. The reason they don't get the respect of "full" mechanicals is just that, they arent completely mechanical and I think that people who enjoy mechanicals like having a completely mechanical watch that tries to be accurate. Personally, I believe watches are supposed to keep accurate time, while a quartz or Kinetic may not have a "soul?" or whatever, I find them heavy, inconvienent, thick, etc. I am sure I'll get nasty comments for writing this but I am trying to answer your question fully, because I don't quite understand the love for mechanicals either.

nick

Dont think anyone is going to flame out over whether you like mechanical or quartz watches,....but who the heck knows for sure!!!!

Anyhow, my take is the kinetic is really a quartz watch, in most cases. Yes, it has a rotor but the only mechanical function of the rotor is to charge the capacitor. So, not really a mechanical watch even though it has some parts to it.

The movement ticks like a quartz timepiece and that is what some folks do not like about the Kinetic. The mechanical crowd likes the smoothe sweep of the mechanical second hand, if so equipped.

So, other than that, Kinetics are awesome. Some are powered by light and some by mechanical rotor and some are hybrids. Some manufacturers call them Kinetic, auto quartz, and other sundry names. I am sure there are subtle differences between them all.

Very informative info from all 3 of you. Good looking out guys.

I've heard from numerous people that the Kinetics don't last too long, when compared to a quality Mechanical, or Eco Drive. I think some of them look very cool, i remember one of the first watches i really liked was a Seiko Kinetic Windward, it had a black face, and pretty cool intricate bracelet. I prefer the Citizen idea of the Edo-Drive. I think the charge in an Eco-Drive watch lasts way longer than the kinetic, too.

It boils down to personal preference. And like a few others previously said, if you are a 'watch purist' you'd probably thumb your nose at the Kinetic idea a bit. Don't let that deter you from collecting what ever watch strikes your fancy tho. Buy whatever you feel is good value, and good looking. Thats part of what makes having a collection of watches fun and exciting.

I personally look down on anything that is non-mechanical since i've started getting into collecting, so i guess i'm becoming a little bit of a snob... Oh well, at least i admit it!
    Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean 45mm
    Oris Williams F1 Chronograph
    Citizen Meccanico NP3010-34A
    Citizen Aqualand 20th Aniv. Eco-Drive
    G-Shock G2300B-1V
    Luminox 3001

Variety is the spice of life

I just picked up a Seiko Premier Kinetic Relay

When the left alone for 24hrs. - the power safe function kicks in
    the hour,minute,second, and 24hr. hands stop moving

When moved - it activates and the time relay function automatically
    resets all the hands to the exact time.

If fully charged in the power save mode - it can last 4 years!

It is pretty neat to see the hands revolve around and reset when
    you first pick up the watch - from being in sleep mode

That's a sweet looking watch Alty.

Wow, that is a sharp piece, and my Pulsar Solar Diver has a power save function as well. Although not as cool as yours it just moves the second hand 2 seconds instead of every one second.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information