Barbos Watches, anyone bought one?
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Barbos Watches, anyone bought one?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Barbos Watches, anyone bought one?

I've been seeing these on Ebay for a while, but haven't seen anyone buy one yet. They have a couple of nice looking styles, and priced around $200-250 with a Miyota quartz movement. They say it's a German company but probably made in China, and 2000m depth rating, I wonder. Problem is, there's a few well proven brands for around the same price.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by dfl3506; June 19th, 2012 at 11:45.
    Illyria likes this.

Re: Barbos Watches, anyone bought one?

Quote Originally Posted by dfl3506 View Post
    Problem is, there's a few well proven brands for around the same price.
    Says it all in my mind. Why risk it when you can get a Seiko diver for less money?
    Shut your mouth and wear your Alpinist.
    Note that "Your Alpinist" is metaphorical and in truth refers to your most versatile watch.

Drew

2000m depth? Sounds bogus.

I like the watch. The only thing that really bothers me is the size (47mm). But, I've been thinking about buying a big watch. Benarus has some nice watches, but the size has always deterred me from buying one (especially at such high prices). Perhaps this watch would be a good test model? The 2000M depth claim does seem incredible; however, I still like the style of the watch. It's also German. I've always wanted to have a German watch, and this one is affordable.

Quote Originally Posted by Illyria View Post
    I like the watch. The only thing that really bothers me is the size (47mm). But, I've been thinking about buying a big watch. Benarus has some nice watches, but the size has always deterred me from buying one (especially at such high prices). Perhaps this watch would be a good test model? The 2000M depth claim does seem incredible; however, I still like the style of the watch. It's also German. I've always wanted to have a German watch, and this one is affordable.
    I don't think there will be much that is German about it. Probably entirely Asian. But it is a nice looking watch.
    Accurist World Time Chronograph | Certina DS Multi-8 | Certina DS Pro Titanium | Longines vintage | Mondaine solar powered | Orient Blue Mako | Orient CVZ0001B ana-digi | Reena WeatherMaster VII | Stowa Exima

Just got my Pacific today via German post. For the price, it's a sturdy watch. Most probably made in Asia and marketed in Germany. Nevertheless, it's a nice-looking huge and heavy piece of metal with a good finishing. Can't comment on the 1000m water resistance though. Anyone tried diving with it?

Quote Originally Posted by alextangtt View Post
    Just got my Pacific today via German post. For the price, it's a sturdy watch. Most probably made in Asia and marketed in Germany. Nevertheless, it's a nice-looking huge and heavy piece of metal with a good finishing. Can't comment on the 1000m water resistance though. Anyone tried diving with it?
    Please post a wrist shot. I'm curious how it looks on an actual wrist.

Hi
    I'm waiting for one to arrive from Germany. I will post photos here & also check the watch snorkeling.
    Looks ok for normal use , but for serious use i have a better watch. I will try it in normal limits and post comments.
    Illyria likes this.

It is now about a week on my wrist. Keeps precise time & passed a 50m water resistance test (pressurized in a local Citizen Watch dealer). The PVD is good, i hit the watch hard and stayed intact. Impressive built for the silly price of 92 euros + 15 euros (117 euros total) that i bought it, via ebay auction. Good for an everyday sports watch. Luminova on this watch is not so strong, you cannot easily read time at night. I will keep you informed & review it again after some months of use. It would be really nice to see other Barbos models for comparison here, too.

Name:  120920121743_r.jpg
Views: 8161
Size:  66.9 KB Name:  120920121742_r.jpg
Views: 7689
Size:  55.5 KB Name:  120920121744_r.jpg
Views: 7556
Size:  71.1 KB Name:  120920121745_r.jpg
Views: 7437
Size:  58.6 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by vmed_cha_gr; September 13th, 2012 at 14:16.
    Pallet Spoon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by alextangtt View Post
    Compare the Barbos to Android. You'll find many common characteristics that point to China as its country of origin.

Have you tried turning the bezel with bare fingers or telling time in low light? And what is the purpose of that little bar at the 9 o'clock position any way?

Someone commented that his Barbos keeps good time. Hey, so would a $5.00 disposable watch.

Undo the strap. Notice how shallow the dimples for the spring bars are. They just don't inspire confidence. Obviously these watches are made under computer guidance. It would have been an easy matter to drill through the lugs to give spring bars a solid footing.

I buy watches by weight, the heavier the better. Quite frankly the weight alone of the Barbos does not save it from being a big disappointment.

My advice to anyone who is contemplating acquisition is to look carefully elsewhere.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information