Best looking mid level watch

Thread: Best looking mid level watch

-->
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Best looking mid level watch

Hi all. I'm new to this forum and just got an Orient Blue Mako that I like a lot.

I have a question for you veterans: Without getting into the question of subjective dollar value, what i'm curious to know is Which mid price watch (e.g. under $650-700 retail discounted price) do you believe to be so well built, designed, and finished that even an expert would easily think it fully comparable to a multi thousand dollar high end watch if no logo were displayed?

I'm not denying that top brands have cachet, reputation, collectability etc. But if this mid priced watch were unknown and suddenly turned out to have been made by a top, top brand, everyone would just nod their heads and go, "Yes, I thought it was one of theirs" because there was nothing about the physical watch itself that gave away its plebeian origins.

Re: Best looking mid level watch

Welcome~You'll discover many things about different brands in due time whether you ask someone or not, cheers!

Well but in my opinion, "But if this mid priced watch were unknown and suddenly turned out to have been made by a top, top brand, everyone would just nod their heads and go, "Yes, I thought it was one of theirs" because there was nothing about the physical watch itself that gave away its plebeian origins" this may or may not be true. Certainly the pictures look the same in some cases and even some of the feel when actually in your possesion, but many, not all, of the more upper tier of watches ($1000 - $3000)actually do FEEL better. It is subjective but as i said, my opinion, which in the big scheme of things means diddly! lol

paul
    Doxa 600T Clive Cussler edition
    Breitling Superocean A17345
    Omega 2531.80
    RGM Sea3 Custom
    Ocean 7 LM3 #119

VINTAGE :

Zodiac Astrographic 2000
    Zodiac Sea Wolf(1964)
    LeCoultre Master Mariner (1970)
    Hamilton Thinmatic (1968)

Place of honor:

my '80's Seiko 5 which has been through the mill and still runs and tell adequate time.

Quote Originally Posted by coase View Post
    Hi all. I'm new to this forum and just got an Orient Blue Mako that I like a lot.

I have a question for you veterans: Without getting into the question of subjective dollar value, what i'm curious to know is Which mid price watch (e.g. under $650-700 retail discounted price) do you believe to be so well built, designed, and finished that even an expert would easily think it fully comparable to a multi thousand dollar high end watch if no logo were displayed?

I'm not denying that top brands have cachet, reputation, collectability etc. But if this mid priced watch were unknown and suddenly turned out to have been made by a top, top brand, everyone would just nod their heads and go, "Yes, I thought it was one of theirs" because there was nothing about the physical watch itself that gave away its plebeian origins.
    Interesting question. A sterile Scooby-Doo homage with a Swiss ETA from Davidsen pops into my mind.

“Best Looking” is very subjective and you’ll probably get as many answers as there are members who chime in on the issue. Maybe a different question is at what price point do diminishing returns set in as far as quality and construction?

In most things, quality improves as you move up in price to a point where each additional dollar buys a smaller and smaller quality improvement. I think you might be asking, what brands give the most for your money in the price range you set? IMO it would be Hamilton. You are not supporting a huge advertizing budget with Hollywood stars getting paid to wear their watches.

I am also of the opinion that the point of diminishing quality improvement falls in the $500 - $750 range. I should say that this opinion is formed without ever handling a watch that cost over $1,500 list price. It is just hard for me to imagine that a $10,000 watch is that much better constructed than one costing $750, but I am quite certain that a $750 watch is generally much much better constructed than a $100 watch.

I am interested in what others think.
    Last edited by Jaymay; January 22nd, 2010 at 03:53. Reason: Typos
    HAMILTON Jazzmaster Maestro (Valjoux 7750)
    RAYMOND WEIL "Freelancer"
    CITIZEN BL5350-59L Titanium Eco-Drive
    ACCUTRON VX-200 (ETA 2824-2)
    VOLMAX AVIATOR (Poljot 3105)
    SEIKO Orange Monster (7S26), SNM005/FKA SNM023 (7S35), Seiko 5 SNZD25J1 (7S36)
    ZODIAC Allstar (Quartz)

ORIENT "Multi-Eye" (White - CET05001W), Black
    Mako (CEM65001B)
    LeSCOUT Datejust ($2 Auto)
    WENGER Swiss Military Quartz (TerraGraph - 79201), Swiss Military Quartz (Guard - 79145)
    TISSOT Ballade Chrono Quartz
    ROVEN DINO Commander Quartz (6010M)

Quote Originally Posted by Jaymay View Post
    “Best Looking” is very subjective and you’ll probably get as many answers as there are members who chime in on the issue. Maybe a different question is at what price point do diminishing returns set in as far as quality and construction?

In most things, quality improves as you move up in price to a point where each additional dollar buys a smaller and smaller quality improvement. I think you might be asking, what brands give the most for your money in the price range you set? IMO it would be Hamilton. You are not supporting a huge advertizing budget with Hollywood stars getting paid to wear their watches.

I am also of the opinion that the point of diminishing quality improvement falls in the $500 - $750 range. I should say that this opinion is formed without ever handling a watch that cost over $1,500 list price. It is just hard for me to imagine that a $10,000 watch is that much better constructed than one costing $750, but I am quite certain that a $750 watch is generally much much better constructed than a $100 watch.

I am interested in what others think.
    I agree with most of this. At a certain point, probably around the $2k mark for me, you're just seeing a lot of marketing and price fixing at work. Not that watches above $2k are junk, obviously, but parts can only cost so much. If I had to guess, the very best deal can probably be had from one of the boutique brands, like maybe Benarus or something along this line. Usually, watches from companies like that are priced more in accordance with the parts cost because they don't have a name brand to ride on, so their swiss movement, ultra deep divers may be half or less of what a bigger brand would charge for the same "quality".

However, the advertising thing is always over-played. I forget what the exact figure is but even Rolex, the king of advertising, spends something like a few % of their expenses on it. Equals out to be worth not even a hundred bucks on a watch that costs more than $5000.
    Last edited by midshipman01; January 22nd, 2010 at 04:33.
    Dear WIS, I have seen your watch addiction affect your life negatively in the following ways...

I agree with your assessment on Hamilton, although I have seen Harrison Ford with a H-Watch draped over his hands. But, to me, they are very handy, beautiful watches.

You make a GREAT point about the $500-$750 price range in comparison. I am looking to start my collection and that is the price range I will be in, but I dont want to go under because of the noticeable diminished quality.
    -Doxa SUB 1000T White Sharkhunter LE, Grail #1: 0580/5000
    -Hamilton JazzMaster Auto Chrono
    -Victorinox Swiss Army Maverick II Chronograph

Sold
    -Tourneu Safari Chronograph
    -Seiko SKX781: THE Orange Monster
    -BaliHa'i Ha'i-Q: 041/250

DFG's (Distant Future Grails):
    Omega SeaMaster Planet Ocean
    Omega SpeedMaster Co-Axial GMT Chrono

"A man is only serious about fighting if he takes off his watch"

Accutron. Great solid cases and among the best bracelets in the business.
    How to choose an HDTV (A step by step guide)

How to decipher Rolexspeak:
    Perpetual means Automatic; Datejust lets you adjust the date; A Superlative Chronometre is COSC certified; A Rolex President has an adjustable day and date

Good point on the Accutrons. My VX-200 is a solid piece and I'll second your comment on the bracelet quality. If you are patient you can find great deals on them too.
    HAMILTON Jazzmaster Maestro (Valjoux 7750)
    RAYMOND WEIL "Freelancer"
    CITIZEN BL5350-59L Titanium Eco-Drive
    ACCUTRON VX-200 (ETA 2824-2)
    VOLMAX AVIATOR (Poljot 3105)
    SEIKO Orange Monster (7S26), SNM005/FKA SNM023 (7S35), Seiko 5 SNZD25J1 (7S36)
    ZODIAC Allstar (Quartz)

ORIENT "Multi-Eye" (White - CET05001W), Black
    Mako (CEM65001B)
    LeSCOUT Datejust ($2 Auto)
    WENGER Swiss Military Quartz (TerraGraph - 79201), Swiss Military Quartz (Guard - 79145)
    TISSOT Ballade Chrono Quartz
    ROVEN DINO Commander Quartz (6010M)

Easy.

Lum-tec Combat B3. Try and find something close to the price of $695 with this many features and looks this good.
    But like the others have said, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. ;)

• * 316L stainless steel
      * SII JAPAN NH25A11J automatic movement.
      * Bead blasted SS finish (B3)
      * New LUM-TEC GX MDV luminous dial and hands.
      * Thick sapphire crystal.
      * Double side anti-reflective coatings.
      * Threaded caseback.
      * 100 meter / 330 feet water resistance.
      * 1 year limited warranty.
      * Limited numbered series of 150 units made

Last edited by ka-boom; January 22nd, 2010 at 19:14.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information