View Poll Results: Please pick the FIVE watches you think are the best for under 50 bucks

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • MQJ Sub

3 5.08%
  • Casio Marlin series

24 40.68%
  • Timex Casual Diver

9 15.25%
  • Casio Marine Gear series

8 13.56%
  • G-Shock DW5600

24 40.68%
  • Casio Waveceptor series

14 23.73%
  • Invicta quartz diver

6 10.17%
  • Vostok Komandirskie

26 44.07%
  • HMT Pilot

9 15.25%
  • Casio F-91W

3 5.08%
  • Darch field watch

3 5.08%
  • Orient 3 star range

16 27.12%
  • HMT Janata

8 13.56%
  • Fossil AM434

3 5.08%
  • Timex Expedition series

25 42.37%
  • Timex Camper (Originals or Original)

10 16.95%
  • Timex Weekender

15 25.42%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Best WATCH under $50 (Best of Affordables project)

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Best WATCH under $50 (Best of Affordables project)

Note 24/09/11: this originally the best diver under $50 but in view of the limited options available I'm broadening it to include all styles of watch.
    The threads for higher price bands will still be limited to particular styles

There seemed to be broad consensus in this thread: Newbie guide to best affordable watches - anyone interested in contributing?
    That pulling together a list of the best watches of various types and at various price points would be an interesting and useful exercise.
    To put that to the test here is the first of the "Best of Affordables" project's proper threads. A chance for everyone to put forward their suggestions (with pics please, we like pics) for the best dive watches under 50 US bucks.
    No real rules, other than that the watches you post must be available new for less than $50.

At some point (likely when the conversation has dried up), I'll propose a top 20 and then add that as a poll for everyone to vote on.

Easy.

Go to it, gentleman!
    Last edited by whatmeworry; September 24th, 2011 at 10:17.
    Ball | Bulova | Casio | CWC | HMT | Invicta | Nomos | Omega | Orient | Rolex | Seagull | Seiko | Shanghai | Timex | Vostok

Re: Best diver under $50 (Best of Affordables project)

Perhaps I'll start with the MQJ sub. I would not have expected such a well made watch for $29.

Name:  MQJWr.jpg
Views: 10731
Size:  147.0 KB

(despite the slightly questionable text at the bottom - although it does in fact run at chronometer accuracy, I think I'll photoshop out the "sub" word for good citizenship.)
    Last edited by skywatch; September 23rd, 2011 at 00:17.
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

"The new servant of the sun has aspirations to become its master. A prosthetic device, yes: worn on the wrist, watches tie people to the celestial clockwork. Hundreds of millions of them, lying in what pockets, on what wrists, under what sleeves, revolve in time with it. Yet although they watch the sun, watches have established a kind of independence. They tick as remorselessly through the night as through the day, through the winter as through the summer, as though their environment is not going through vast changes in each 24 hours and each year. These perturbations are part of the lives of all other animals, but people have been encouraged by their clocks to ignore the daily and seasonal cycles and to pretend that there is nothing to contend with but metronome-paced linear time. We appear to have caged the sun inside a machine." Michael Young, The Metronomic Society, p. 204

Casio MDV-102 has been the most commonly suggested in this range. However, it would appear to be discontinued.
    Name:  IMG_3517.jpg
Views: 11292
Size:  74.1 KB
    (from a review, followed by a long thread of pictures and comments about the watch: Casio MDV-102 First Impressions )

The Chinese Sterile Subs (basically the same watch as the MQJ) are under $50, but I'm conflicted about putting them in a "top" list; great case and movement, but cruddy QC means lots of potential isues.
    All that glitters isn't chrome.

-

my watches: Christopher Ward - Orient - Enicar vintage watches - Wenger - Seiko 5 - Orient Star - DOXA (vintage)

I didn't realize the Casio Marlin was discontinued. That's a great choice. This is a tough category, and certainly screams for a Timex. The Casual Diver is one of the only Timex dive watches under $50.

Name:  41rtnXzYKTL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
Views: 11160
Size:  13.5 KB
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

"The new servant of the sun has aspirations to become its master. A prosthetic device, yes: worn on the wrist, watches tie people to the celestial clockwork. Hundreds of millions of them, lying in what pockets, on what wrists, under what sleeves, revolve in time with it. Yet although they watch the sun, watches have established a kind of independence. They tick as remorselessly through the night as through the day, through the winter as through the summer, as though their environment is not going through vast changes in each 24 hours and each year. These perturbations are part of the lives of all other animals, but people have been encouraged by their clocks to ignore the daily and seasonal cycles and to pretend that there is nothing to contend with but metronome-paced linear time. We appear to have caged the sun inside a machine." Michael Young, The Metronomic Society, p. 204

Quote Originally Posted by ckot View Post
    Casio MDV-102 has been the most commonly suggested in this range. However, it would appear to be discontinued.
    Name:  IMG_3517.jpg
Views: 11292
Size:  74.1 KB
    It's been discontinued???? Say it ain't so! That watch is a screaming deal.

Raymond Weil Freelancer 2730-ST-65001 / Seiko Sumo SBDC001 / Maranez Layan / Deep Blue Ocean Diver 500 #110 / Deep Blue DayNight OPS #325 / Citizen BJ8050-59E "ECOZILLA"/ Citizen BL5345-59H Titanium / Citizen BL5280-52X / Skagen Chronograph 331XLSLB / Garmin Forerunner 305 / Timex IRONMAN 30 Lap T5K412 / Swatch Irony Chrono

Casio Men's AMW320R-1EV Marine Ana-Digi Dive Watch

$44.95 online
    Name:  casiodiver.jpg
Views: 10447
Size:  14.7 KB

Dial window material type: Mineral
    Display Type: analog-digital
    Case material: stainless-steel
    Case diameter: 45 millimeters
    Case Thickness: 11 millimeters
    Band material: Resin
    Band length: mens
    Band width: 25 millimeters
    Band Color: black
    Fullers1845 likes this.
    "The race is long and,in the end, it's only with yourself..."

Deep within the bowels of corporate hell...

There's not a lot to choose from in the <$50 range for dive watches. Other than what's been mentioned, it looks like some Freestyles and a quartz Croton are all there are to choose from.

I would tend to go the used route if my ceiling was $50. You might be able to pick up a nice used 7002 or similar.

MDV-102

The original model had 2-tone lume

honorable mention: DW-5600E

This is a very tough category. Too bad the Casio MDV-102 has been discontinued. I would say get them while you still can.

There is a replacement for the MDV102. I don't recall what it is, but there was a post not long ago about it. I am sure it must be in the same price range. The MDV102 is a fantastic sub $50 diver if you can find one though.
    If 100m WR is enough to qualify, this new Casio might be a good choice. Casio MRW-200H-1EV

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information