Best Watch Under $500

Thread: Best Watch Under $500

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best Watch Under $500

Hi - I need some help finding a Christmas gift for my boyfriend. I thought the Citizen Calibre 2100 was perfect, but a friend recently saw it in person and thought the face would be too big. (My boyfriend is 5'7" and 130 pounds, so a smaller wrist.)

Any other suggestions for an AWESOME watch under $500? I would prefer a watch that doesn't require a battery (the reason I was originally looking at Citizen Eco Drives).

Thank you!
    Kate

Re: Best Watch Under $500

Well in that price range you got Debaufre Ocean 1, Marathon SAR or GSAR, Seiko Monster, Bernhardt Sea Shark among a few.

Hey - Thanks for getting back to me. Sorry, I should have mentioned this before, but I am looking for something with a chronograph.

In that price range I would keep looking at citizen. I am the same height about 150 with 6 1/2 wrist(small). I don't own a chrono because I find the face too busy. This is amplified when you try to put a chrono into a 40-42mm case. With that wrist size 40-42 is plenty big but very comfortable. Are you looking for something dress/casual?

Hamilton Khaki Auto (with or without) Chrono - automatic movement, a chrono model available, and looks great with a bracelet or on a military strap.

There's one on sale in the forum for 375, in pretty good condition. :)

I second the Hamilton Khaki Chrono.
    A lot of watch for the money.

I think you can get them for under $500 new from many places.
    Try a google search.

A vote for the Seiko Spirit. Arguably better quality per dollar than many Swiss brands. Sapphire Crystal, 100m Water Resistance, nice 6R15 movement, solid bracelet, 38mm case, exhibition case back. Can be had for a little over $300 with enough money left over to buy him a Seiko Monster and an Orient Mako... well.. almost.

Pics property of Pearl Watches

Quote Originally Posted by muxinick View Post
    A vote for the Seiko Spirit. Arguably better quality per dollar than many Swiss brands. Sapphire Crystal, 100m Water Resistance, nice 6R15 movement, solid bracelet, 38mm case, exhibition case back. Can be had for a little over $300 with enough money left over to buy him a Seiko Monster and an Orient Mako... well.. almost.
    No chrono function, though, which is what she was looking for. Maybe a Traser Classic Chrono? It's a great-looking watch for $410 at Gnomonwatches.com. Tritium tubes, all-black PVD casing... 40mm diameter means that it's not all that big. The only downfall is that it's a quartz movement.

I really like the idea of the Hamilton chronos in one form or another - Valjoux 7750 movement, plus a smaller case (<42mm, in most watches, and you can get a 38mm model) way under the price limit she posted.

A Seiko Sportura Chrono could work as well - if you get one of the kinetic versions. No battery, quartz accuracy, chrono function.

Several different Invicta chronos out there, too. Just have to find that one auto-chrono...

Quote Originally Posted by roastpuff View Post
    No chrono function, though, which is what she was looking for. Maybe a Traser Classic Chrono? It's a great-looking watch for $410 at Gnomonwatches.com. Tritium tubes, all-black PVD casing... 40mm diameter means that it's not all that big. The only downfall is that it's a quartz movement.

I really like the idea of the Hamilton chronos in one form or another - Valjoux 7750 movement, plus a smaller case (<42mm, in most watches, and you can get a 38mm model) way under the price limit she posted.

A Seiko Sportura Chrono could work as well - if you get one of the kinetic versions. No battery, quartz accuracy, chrono function.

Several different Invicta chronos out there, too. Just have to find that one auto-chrono...
    Have you gave a diver type of the watch a thought? Bezel is phenomenal timer if "seconds" are not all that important and most of the time they're not. (If they are, than you're better off with digital anyways...)

Quote Originally Posted by kg14 View Post
    Hi - I need some help finding a Christmas gift for my boyfriend. I thought the Citizen Calibre 2100 was perfect, but a friend recently saw it in person and thought the face would be too big. (My boyfriend is 5'7" and 130 pounds, so a smaller wrist.)

Any other suggestions for an AWESOME watch under $500? I would prefer a watch that doesn't require a battery (the reason I was originally looking at Citizen Eco Drives).

Thank you!
    Kate
    Look at some of the Seiko Chronos. That is what I am now looking at on ebay.

Edit: I just saw this posted and would LOVE for you to buy it for me! ;) http://www.amazon.com/Movado-Gentry-...709369&sr=8-14
    Last edited by flyboynm; December 7th, 2007 at 03:49.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information