Brand new to the site, and to the world of watches (wow you guys are almost as crazy as the home theater guys!)
I'm looking to enter into the world of watches, however probably more slowly than I'd like..
I've been looking at watches that would be versatile, could be worn both as dressy and casual. I think quartz would probably be the best entry point for me. I'm thinking that Citizen and Seiko might be good choices based one what I've seen and read about their value.
What I'm looking for:
Would prefer a metal band.
$300 is the absolute cap of what I can spend.
I like the look of watches that have the date in other places than the 3oclock position (however don't mind the 3oclock date at all)
Bonus points would be for perpetual calendar, and/or chrono - however I'm not sold on the chrono features, as I doubt i'd ever use them.
Based on my searches, here's what I've found - any advice/opinions would be very very welcome.
1) Citizen Calibre 3100 - I really like the look of the large 12oclock date, and perp calendar + eco drive. The watch has a nice uniqueness to it, without being too crazy - i think this is my #1 choice right now.
2) Overstock has a similar watch to the above - however it's showing with sapphire crystal - and only for $15 more. However, it's only listed as having a 12 month distributor warranty. Are they not an AD for Citizen?
Citizen Men's Eco-Drive Stainless Steel Watch | Overstock.com
3) Nice looking Chrono from Citizen - similar in price to the Calibre 3100 and with perp calendar.
4) Seiko - this one's a Kinetic - however it's a great deal on the Coutura - not sure that for my first "real" watch I should go with Kinetic or not... But it has a similar unique look to it as the first Citizen.
5) A fairly simple looking Seiko from the SNQ line - I think I like this one the best of that line because of the 6oclock date:
Those are the 4/5 that stand out to me initially. Any other suggestions or feedback (especially if anyone has owned any of the above) would be very welcome.
Thanks guys (and gals)!