Thread: De'Tomaso San Remo/Oceanmaster

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

De'Tomaso San Remo/Oceanmaster

Cruising this or any other watch related site will have you see the Rolex sub and various homages or some derivative of it. The centre of this review is one of the latter sort.

The De'Tomaso San Remo aka Oceanmaster takes some general design cues from the Rollie but is not a copy. The dimensions are bigger. 43x51 versus 40x47. The dial and hands are also nothing near the original.

Speaking of the dial, it reads San Remo Professional 300m=1000ft. The one I ordered should have had Oceanmaster printed on it instead of San Remo. Apperantly there are two versions of the same watch. The carton box containing the wooden case and watch did have a sticker saying Detomaso Oceanmaster.

After two days San Remo befits the watch better than the term oceanmaster.

Pricing on this piece is haphazard. The e-bay store from whom I got it sold it to me for €95 shipped while having a buy it now for €159 and advertising it in his own onlineshop for €185.

So what do you get for €95 or maybe less.
    Inside lives a miyota auto although I didn't check that by opening it. Nowhere on the watch did I detect where it was made. Not even the "Japan Movement" so it might be a Chinese movement for all that matters.

Where ever it may have been made the watch does feel solid. The 22mm solid endlinks have no play between the lugs and fit flush to the case. The case itself has polished sides and the topside of the lugs is brushed. However the brushed finish on the case is coarser than that on the bracelet. Don't know if it was intended that way but my guess is it came from different manufacturers without much coordination like the dial printing and packaging.

The bezel is 120 firm clicks. Grippy by design but a coarse, dry plasticky click unlike the smooth ratchety click on many sweet Seikos.

The bracelet is quite hefty with 4mm solid links (centre links all solid too). Adjusting the bracelet gives you plenty options with 3 half and 4 whole screwed links and 4 hole microadjust at the clasp. It tapers from 22 to 18 with the clasp being 20mm wide. The clasp is a nice thick cutout threefold with fliplock and features a solid wetsuit extension.

Lume is virtually none existant. It fades instantly to a very dim green but stays that for a few hours though.

Brandmarkings can be found on the dial, clasp (logo) and etched on the side of the case you'll find DE'TOMASO.

Dimensions:
    case: 42mm with bezel 43mm
    dial: 32mm
    lug to lug: 51mm
    height: 14mm
    lugwidth: 22mm

Overall I think it's a fun watch to wear but nothing to pamper or much worth reselling. Quality is a bit of a hit and miss. Bracelet is good, like that one very much. Bezelaction is poor and so is the lume. The screwdown crown will probably be threadless by the end of the year. 300m??? I won't do more than 3m but 30cm will possibly hold before the crown gives up.

Why did I buy it? I wanted something that was sub like but not a copy. This De'Tomasso offers a different look in the dial and handset department so I gave it a shot. Would I buy another one in green or gold? Nah...

Re: De'Tomaso San Remo/Oceanmaster

I like the look of the hands, never was a fan of the regular Sub mercedes hands. Bracelet looks like it's a decent piece of work too, unlike most Sub clones at that price point. A fun summer toy, at the very least ;)

Thumbs Up Re: De'Tomaso San Remo/Oceanmaster

Nice watch om-4

It's always good to have a sub-whatever in a collection

Swiss : FAVRE LEUBA | FORTIS | GIRARD PERREGAUX | JAQUET-GIRARD | OMEGA | TISSOT | TITUS | ZENITH
    Japanese : CASIO | CITIZEN | ORIENT | SEIKO
    Russian : POLJOT | SLAVA | STURMANSKIE | VOSTOK | VOSTOK EUROPE | ZVEZDA
    French : AVYSTYLE | HERMA | LIP | YEMA | YONGER & BRESSON
    German : GLASHÜTTE |
    Chinese : ALPHA | BEIJING | FINËAT | JARAGAR | OHSEN | STEWAL | WINNER

+1 Congratulations, brother! Wear it in good health. I am a big fan of the Sub. This one is a nice example of the classic style with some creatively original features.
    Homage watches democratize history for the common wrist.

Cheers! James

It's a nice looking watch, I bet it would be great on a NATO too

Cheers,
    Griff <--- has way too many NATOs

Thanks guys,

The watch is very comfortable on the wrist and the "infinate" adjusting possibilities of the bracelet might have helped in this department.

I thought about NATOs but the tight fitting endlugs makes it difficult to change straps without the correct pliers. Good reason to spring for a Burgeon pincher.

Great (honest) review & photos. Thanks for sharing.

Your review piqued my interest in the brand, and see what I found...

www.kadloo.com

Appearance wise, the De'Tomaso is almost identical (save for the colour & movement) to the Kadloo Ocean Date Pro - right down to bezel inlay.

Have not been able to find the pricing on Kadloos though.

Nice looking watch!!
    Later, Gary

We are the caretakers of mechanical art.
    Member NAWCC, National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors

As soon as I saw the title I thought of this:

The DeTomaso Pantera, I remember it in the 80s.
    I wonder if someone bought the brand and are making watches in China now?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information