Like Tree4Likes

Thread: The ETA G10 Movement

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

The ETA G10 Movement

In the last few months I've seen many watch companies (some of them well known), selling their watches with the G10 Quartz movement for hundreds of dollars and others well known companies selling for thousands of dollars, and they do it by taking advantage of their name and reputation. Since I'm not a fan of Quartz movement, I never bother to look for information in regards to this movement, but since this movement seems to grow in popularity, I decided to get more information about the movement. I contacted ETA by Email and this is what I was told:

"Dear Mr. Hamilton Carvalho,

Thank you for your e-mail.

Please find enclosed the manufacturing information concerning this movement. The reason why it is cheaper is due to the fact that this movement isn't made of metal. Also, it's not repairable.

We hope this will help you.
    Meilleures salutations / Freundliche Grüsse / Best regards

Roland Oesterling

ETA SA Manufacture Horlogère Suisse
    Business Unit Marketing & Ventes
    Area Sales Manager

Bahnhofstrasse 9
    2540 Grenchen
    Switzerland

Phone +41 (0)32 655 26 79
    Fax +41 (0)32 655 71 74

mailto:roland.oesterling@eta.ch
    http://www.eta.ch"

"Principle of construction"

The movement cannot be dismantled.
    The plates are made of synthetic material
    and are assembled in a special
    process.

To be honest, I'm disappointed at ETA. For those who buy any watch with this movement you paying for the case and bracelete, the movement is worthless. I've heard of companies selling watches for as much as $1,500.00 with this movement. I would expect such movement from China but not from ETA, the most respected watch movement company in the world. What is a watch without a good movement? Nice looks doesn't mean anything. I guess business and money talks, and these companies don't really care if we spend our hard working money on their junk. It is unacceptable that those companies out there actually sell watches for thousands of dollars when they know the movement beating inside of the case is worth $20.00 or less. How can one spend $500.00 or more in a watch that has a movement that can't be serviced? These companies know that thousand of people out there will not do any investigation in regards to the movement of the watch, and will buy their watches simply because it looks very nice. Before I buy any watch I have several rules, and one of them is to not buy any watch unless I spend at least 8 months looking for information in regards to the watch, specially brands that I never bought a watch from. Many watch companies out there don't really care, they just think about money. I don't care if the movement keeps good time, the fact that it is a cheap movement tells me that the watch is not worth what they ask for it.
    A few companies out there do care, but these are companies that have a passion for watches. They cost a lot of money, but you get a nice looking watch with superb quality, and it is worth every single penny you paid for it. It's up to us to do our home work and buy something worth our hard working money.
    Walterpr likes this.

Re: The ETA G10 Movement

That's really interesting info Hamilton and thanks for sharing.
    My take is that it's a "throw away" mvmnt. and presumably priced as such.
    Hard to blame ETA for brands price structures using that particular mvmnt.
    "Time is the school in which we learn. Time is the fire in which we burn."

You said right T, it is a throw away movement. It is unacceptable as I said, that many well known companies out there are selling their watches with the G10 movement for hundreds of dollars by taking advantage of their name and reputation. They specifically say in their ad that the watch is Swiss, in another word what they say is "If it is Swiss it is the best", and unfortunately that's not the case with some of ETA's movements. They also know the fact that we consumers have a habit to buy what looks nice on the outside and also we have the habit to trust those with good reputation. So, if ETA produce a junk they expect us to buy just because ETA made it and also because it looks nice.
    Walterpr likes this.

Retired and living in the mountains of Northeast Pennsylvania

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton Carvalho Sr. View Post
    What is a watch without a good movement?[/b]

I don't care if the movement keeps good time, the fact that it is a cheap movement tells me that the watch is not worth what they ask for it.
    You don't care if the movement keeps good time? I'm sorry, but this statement simply doesn't make sense. If a movement is 1. cheap and 2. keeps good time, that's called efficiency! The most important function of a watch is, after all, to effectively tell time. In fact, my definition of a good watch/movement is one that keeps time accurately and has nothing to do with how much it costs.

You criticize this movement as being junk and further criticize manufacturers for putting them in watches costing hundreds of dollars, but what about, for instance, the base ETA 2824-2 automatic movement?

The ETA 2824-2 is the "workhorse" of the industry, is used in more automatic watches than probably any other movement on the planet, can be found in watches from some of the cheapest to those with price tags in the thousands of dollars, and it only costs around $70.

Your argument could be used to criticize every movement and every watch manufacturer because the plain fact is that the individual parts of a watch never add up to anything near the price tags they carry.

The bottom line for we watch lovers is this...........

It's the sum total of those individual parts that catches our eyes and imaginations. It's those beautiful finished products, those functional works of art, that fuel our passions and have us willingly opening our wallets to buy them time and time again.
    Steve

My favorite diver? Jessica Alba, of course!

Regarding the fact that the movement is a "throwaway," I don't see this as a necessarily bad thing or a reflection on its value. Almost all of our electronic components, circuit boards, etc, are throwaways these days from the computers in the vehicles we drive to the televisions we watch every evening, to the parts in the computers we type our Internet messages with.

Whether you throw the whole movement away and replace it with a new one or, as in the case of a mechanical movement, throw away the worn parts and replace them with new, has no bearing on their worth in my view.
    Steve

stuffler,mike

Well, don´t blame ETA - blame those brands using this throw-away-movement ("Ecoline") which is produced because there´s a demand. ETA does not keep it as a secret. If someone want to know they tell honestly. More worse the "Ecoline Swiss Parts" which are made in Thailand and/or Malaysia.
    More to be read - if interested: Lucien F. Trüb "The wolrd of watches", 1999.

Maybe I'm looking at this in too practical a light, but if a movement keeps time accurately and exhibits acceptable longevity, I wouldn't be overly concerned about how much it cost the manufacturer to build or what materials were used in its construction.

Now on the other hand, if this movement didn't tell time worth a damn or had to be replaced as often as its battery, then I'd be first in line to lambaste it!
    Steve

It would be interesting to know how durable and reliable these are before labeling them "junk" so readily.
    No idea how to find info like that though.
    A reliable, easily replaceable, inexpensive quartz movement, wouldn't be at all bad, providing the watch is priced reasonably.
    "Time is the school in which we learn. Time is the fire in which we burn."

I was talking about the G10 specifically. The reason I said "I don't care if the movement keeps good time or not" is because of the fact that many watch companies out there are asking hundreds and some thousands of dollars for a movement that is worth propably less than $10.00. The ETA 2824-2 is a very popular movement and as you said some companies ask thousands of dollars for a watch with such movements. It's up to us to decide whether or not the watch is worth thousands of dollars. I wouldn't pay thousands of dollars in a watch with an ETA 2824-2, I would pay a few hundred dollars for it, but again it is up each one of us to make the decision. The reason for my post is because many out there has no idea what the G10 is all about. You see me as a critic, I hope someone out there see my information as a good information before they spend a lot of money in a watch that is not worth the price tag.

Quote Originally Posted by XTrooper View Post
    You don't care if the movement keeps good time? I'm sorry, but this statement simply doesn't make sense. If a movement is 1. cheap and 2. keeps good time, that's called efficiency! The most important function of a watch is, after all, to effectively tell time. In fact, my definition of a good watch/movement is one that keeps time accurately and has nothing to do with how much it costs.

You criticize this movement as being junk and further criticize manufacturers for putting them in watches costing hundreds of dollars, but what about, for instance, the base ETA 2824-2 automatic movement?

The ETA 2824-2 is the "workhorse" of the industry, is used in more automatic watches than probably any other movement on the planet, can be found in watches from some of the cheapest to those with price tags in the thousands of dollars, and it only costs around $70.

Your argument could be used to criticize every movement and every watch manufacturer because the plain fact is that the individual parts of a watch never add up to anything near the price tags they carry.

The bottom line for we watch lovers is this...........

It's the sum total of those individual parts that catches our eyes and imaginations. It's those beautiful finished products, those functional works of art, that fuel our passions and have us willingly opening our wallets to buy them time and time again.

Can only second what XTrooper says.
    ETA produces what the market wants: cheap mass produced is in demand these days.
    It is probably more efficient in case of service to replace a quartz movement than to service it. A qualified watchmaker is not cheap per hour and this movement probably only costs a couple of $. So at the end servicing is cheap and no high qualified watchmaker is needed.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information