Folio watch?

Thread: Folio watch?

-->
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Folio watch?

I was in Wal-Mart yesterday and looked in on their latest watches (as I usually do), and noticed something new. They were featuring a brand called "Folio" that I'd never heard of before. The models were all automatic movements with skeleton dials, and most were in square cases. I was in a hurry and didn't get a chance to have one pulled out to look at more closely, so I can't say much more about them or even tell you the price range (they did have them on display next to the Armitron skeleton autos, if that has any bearing on price).

Anyone else heard about this brand?

(I'm going to cross-post this on the Public forum as well.)

Mike

The Collection: Too many to list
    The Wish List: Still too many to list
    The Grail: Bremont ALT1-P (blue dial)

Re: Folio watch?

It is made by Fossil. It is an exact copy of a Relic automatic that was made by Fossil recently. It has a 23 jewel automatic Chinese movement with a hacking mechanism. The movment is very smooth and accurate. Right now they have two models and they are both selling at Wal-Mart for $74 each. I bought both of them and I am very pleased. For the price, you get a lot of watch. They both have exibition backs. One of the watches has a big date complication and an open heart. The other has a partially skeletonized front so you can see part of the rotor and date wheel. Hope this helps.

Dualtime

I'm gonna have to swing by my local wal-mart to check this out.

Dualtime,

Thanks for helping fill in the gaps in my report! I thought I had seen two square-cased and one or two round-cased; could be what they're stocking in my local store is slightly different (we have two Wal-Marts within 10 miles of my house, and they frequently have different items from one another in other departments).

Mike

Thanks. I'll have to keeping checking my local Wal-Mart Stores to see if they get some different models in. I bought the watches 2 weeks ago and I wear the large round one all the time. It keeps great time.

Dualtime

I stopped by Wal-Mart again and had another look at the Folio watches. This store has four different models - two in round cases and two in square cases (or rather, the rectangular "tank" style).

One round and one square model were identical in layout - large date complication under the 12, open heart over the 6. The round one was on a leather strap, while the square one was on a metal bracelet.

The other square one has the partial skeleton dial Dualtime had described, while the other round one was completely different - a semi-circular strip running from about the 4 to the 8 appeared to have been cut out and pushed to the back of the case, where it was decorated with small stones to represent those numbers and giving it a little 3-D depth. Both of these were on metal bracelets.

The other thing I noticed was that the round cases were very large - a good 50mm or more. The square cases weren't quite as big, but were still substantially sized. All four models were listed at $74 each.

So, I guess the thing to do, if you're interested, is keep checking with your local Wal-Mart stores...maybe there's a few more versions floating around out there.

Mike

Just got these two on Ebay; 23 bucks a piece.

They're very nice, and expensive looking.

Does the date say 37? That's a long month. I like the look of that watch and an automatic for $23? What's that about money burning a hole in your pocket...

Quote Originally Posted by Surly View Post
    Does the date say 37? That's a long month. I like the look of that watch and an automatic for $23? What's that about money burning a hole in your pocket...
    That's a common quirk of big-date movements. One wheel is 0-3, the other is 0-9. I don't know why it's so common to see stock photos with the date set to the 37th, though...

Meh: the 9 on the skeleton fell off and is currently swimming in the insides.

I just asked the ebay dude if he'd replace it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information