Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Full-Lume Fun: help me shop for something BRIGHT

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Full-Lume Fun: help me shop for something BRIGHT

I don't need another watch, but I still don't have a full-lume dial. I'm pondering something in the 40mm range, 2mm. I found a bunch out there. I like some from Aristo. I like the Komandisrskie K34. I like the Momentum Atlas, but I'm not in love with battery-power.

Hoping for Automatic, although solar quartz is OK. I would love to stay under $400, under 42mm, and I want this thing to REALLY GLOW.

Alrighty folks - do any of you have any light to shed on this question? Here's are some samples:

K-34. My favorite so far. A bit big at 42mm. How's the lume?
    Name:  Komandirskie_K34.jpg
Views: 2522
Size:  245.4 KB

Another favorite in my search, Aristo 3H17R U-Boot, small at 38mm, but that's OK. A bit pricey at $400.
    Name:  AristoUBoot3H17R-1.jpg
Views: 2369
Size:  66.0 KB

A bunch of other nice Aristo full lumes, 3H41 at 38mm (small), 5H69Ti at 42+ (big)
    Name:  Aristo_3H41.jpg
Views: 2310
Size:  29.7 KBName:  Aristo5H69Ti.jpg
Views: 2306
Size:  34.0 KB

Aeromatic with a Type B dial - I don't mind Germasian, and the price is right, but how's the lume?
    Name:  Aeromatic_A1373.jpg
Views: 2360
Size:  34.4 KB

Laco Marine Miyota, big at 42mm, not bad....a bit bland?
    Name:  LacoMarineMiyota.jpg
Views: 2356
Size:  94.3 KB

A ringer, the Seiko SNZE17, good size at 40mm, great price around $140, probably blindingly bright.
    Name:  Seiko_SNZE17.jpg
Views: 2389
Size:  33.5 KB

Orient EM7 - I love the design and the price, but too big and has a non-quickset date.
    Name:  Orient-em7.jpg
Views: 2328
Size:  25.3 KB

The Orient, Seiko and Aeromatic also make the mistake of putting lume on the hands as well as the dial. That just makes them harder to see at night.

Maybe you can talk me into a Momentum after all, despite being battery quartz. I like this Pathfinder alarm, but it's a bit small even for me.

Name:  MomentumPathfinder.jpg
Views: 2551
Size:  153.3 KB
    I like the Atlas as well...but with the two sizes I'm having trouble finding the right one, 36 or 42?, lume dial or is it white?

Waddya think? Name your favorites, try to convince me! Help me make up my addled mind.
    Feel free to suggest some that I haven't shown here.
    Last edited by skywatch; November 18th, 2011 at 04:37.
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

"The new servant of the sun has aspirations to become its master. A prosthetic device, yes: worn on the wrist, watches tie people to the celestial clockwork. Hundreds of millions of them, lying in what pockets, on what wrists, under what sleeves, revolve in time with it. Yet although they watch the sun, watches have established a kind of independence. They tick as remorselessly through the night as through the day, through the winter as through the summer, as though their environment is not going through vast changes in each 24 hours and each year. These perturbations are part of the lives of all other animals, but people have been encouraged by their clocks to ignore the daily and seasonal cycles and to pretend that there is nothing to contend with but metronome-paced linear time. We appear to have caged the sun inside a machine." Michael Young, The Metronomic Society, p. 204

Re: Full-Lume Fun: help me shop for something BRIGHT

You know what I say...Momentum Atlas

I think Momentum calls it white, and mine is the smaller one, I didn't know they had a 42 but that would have been too big for me. I figured mine was around 38mm. Though I would love that Komandirskie!
    skywatch likes this.

How about the full lume dial Citizen NY0040 that has been haunting me for months... Can be had on the auction site for under $150...
    (pic courtesy of superchrono)

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
    zippofan likes this.

Alba AF8L81X AL4017X - Citizen BM6400 BN0000 - Orient CEM65002D CEM5004BK CFM00002B - Poljot Aerowave - Sandoz Explorer - Sea-Gull M177S - Seiko SKX009 - Strela 3133 - Timex Ironman Triathalon - Tissot PR50 Titanium - Volmax Aviator 2623/1225556-45

Reedsco uses super luminova but i think their watches are on the bigger 44mm side.

Thanks, guys! Cuffs - I forgot about the Citizen diver, it is a beauty. I'll investigate. For some reason I imagined it was big. Griff - indeed, it's your Atlas and other's that keep pushing buttons, reminding me to fill this gap. I hear that it has quite a strong lume? I might just break down and get another quartz, after all. I just need to figure out the real sizes. IanC - thanks for mentioning a new watch company! That's quite refreshing. Reedsco looks interesting, but I couldn't see a lume-dial version, and indeed you are correct, they're huge at 47mm.

Too many choices, as usual, but isn't that the joy of it?
    rcrow likes this.

"The new servant of the sun has aspirations to become its master. A prosthetic device, yes: worn on the wrist, watches tie people to the celestial clockwork. Hundreds of millions of them, lying in what pockets, on what wrists, under what sleeves, revolve in time with it. Yet although they watch the sun, watches have established a kind of independence. They tick as remorselessly through the night as through the day, through the winter as through the summer, as though their environment is not going through vast changes in each 24 hours and each year. These perturbations are part of the lives of all other animals, but people have been encouraged by their clocks to ignore the daily and seasonal cycles and to pretend that there is nothing to contend with but metronome-paced linear time. We appear to have caged the sun inside a machine." Michael Young, The Metronomic Society, p. 204

Deep within the bowels of corporate hell...

I think I remember you being not much of a diver watch kinda guy, but I would recommend the Citizen NY0040 - it's a reasonable size and thickness for a functional diver, looks great on NATO, and it's like having a little flashlight when the lume is fully charged. My first choice would also be the K-34, I love those. Everything "just works" with that watch. I really like that Naco, though!
    skywatch likes this.

Perhaps I'm getting confused about the Momentum Atlas sizes because of with/without crown measurements. It seems it's both 36 and 41mm at the same time:

Name:  MomentumAtlas.jpg
Views: 2365
Size:  153.1 KB

But, as I look at the Atlas, I realize it's way to close to my Citizen BM6400, so I think I'll omit it only because of redundancy.

Name:  CitiBM6400Wr3.jpg
Views: 2476
Size:  136.6 KB

Maybe the Komandirskie has the edge still, but I would love to hear more about it's lume.

Quote Originally Posted by cheapie View Post
    I think I remember you being not much of a diver watch kinda guy, but I would recommend the Citizen...
    Oh, I like divers, I just prefer them a bit smaller than some of people's faves shown here on f71. I already have a Mako, SeaShark, and Hager Commando, so I'm pretty set for 'subbies. I think the military/pilot style is calling my name this time around. That K34 has been screaming my name for months, however...

This Zeno is listed at 42.5mm, I got it in a trade....

curiousMan likes this.
    Later, Gary

We are the caretakers of mechanical art.
    Member NAWCC, National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors

Great lume shot, Gary! That Zeno is a beauty. I'm guessing it's a Ronda quartz? Alas, yet another lume-dial watch that also uses luminous hands, something I never quite understood.

I know there are a few K-34s out there (Arktika, DM71) - can anyone tell me how good is its lume?

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread Information