H. Steinway chronometer? For real?

Thread: H. Steinway chronometer? For real?

H. Steinway chronometer? For real?

I honestly feel I know the answer to this, but figured I'd get some feedback from the panel.

Does anyone know anything about the H. Steinway "officially certified chronometer" that you can find on ebay? (Not to be confused with Steinway & Sons, although maybe it's supposed to be?) A simple search will let you find it, but I've put up a pic of the watch and box.

It seems to be very reasonably priced. But I tend to be wary of a company that I can't seem to find information on via the internet. Does anyone have any info of these guys? And how can they make the claim that they are an officially certified chronometer? Aren't there rules about that?

Or are they on the up & up and just happen to be way under the radar and cost point to most chronometers?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Akribos XXIV, Bulova, Benrus, Citizen, Elgin (2), Emporio Armani, Eterna, Ferrocarril De Antioquia, Fortis, Gruen, Hamilton (5), Kenneth Cole, Mido, Mondaine, Orient (5), Paul Breguette, Rado (2), Swiss Army, Stuhrling, Technos, Tissot, Universal Geneve, Wakmann/Sherco, Zodiac (2). And it just keeps growing, yet I've got a ton I probably should unload...

Re: H. Steinway chronometer? For real?

Quote Originally Posted by TheJohnP View Post
    I honestly feel I know the answer to this, but figured I'd get some feedback from the panel.

Does anyone know anything about the H. Steinway "officially certified chronometer" that you can find on ebay? (Not to be confused with Steinway & Sons, although maybe it's supposed to be?) A simple search will let you find it, but I've put up a pic of the watch and box.

It seems to be very reasonably priced. But I tend to be wary of a company that I can't seem to find information on via the internet. Does anyone have any info of these guys? And how can they make the claim that they are an officially certified chronometer? Aren't there rules about that?

Or are they on the up & up and just happen to be way under the radar and cost point to most chronometers?
    The words "officially certified chronometer" mean nothing other than its an instrument that tells time. If it said cosc certified that would have meaning. Lots of companies including Alpha write certified chronometer on their timepieces.

Thread Information