Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Help with a Timex Electric

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help with a Timex Electric

I got this Timex electric out of a box of watches I got on ebay, I cleaned it up took out the original Timex Type 1 battery and put in a new one, is started working after a few moments and it keeps perfect time. I added the gold band so it is not original.

It looks stunning for a watch this old. The problem is I don't know how old, most of these have movement and date codes at the bottom of the dial, mines does not. Also they say inside of the back case cover ther might be a code, mine only says Timex Great Britian and has the letters NZL stamped in ink. I look on the web for hours at pictures of Timex electrics and did not see a single one like this (dished area around face and deep gold face).

Any idea of the approx. age of this Timex? Any other info would be great!

Last edited by sixtysix; December 12th, 2009 at 03:15. Reason: added new links to pictures
    PAUL H. likes this.
    Later, Gary

We are the caretakers of mechanical art.
    Member NAWCC, National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors

Re: Help with a Timex Electric

I found a website that has all the service manuals and model ID's along with some copies of original ads. It looks like mine is a Model 41 movement, Cat Number 76560, and was made in 1971. This site is great for the Timex Electrics:

http://www.e-watchmaker.com/reviewtmxelectric.html
    Later, Gary

I had that exact same model in 1964. Yours is in great shape.
    Best regards,

Mike Hogan
    mjhogan1972@aol.com

"Go ahead laddie. Buy the watch."

I have one with a 24D Dynabeat movement. The workings of these movements is quite interesting. All Timex Electric watches have a special escapement which advances the second hand only on the forward impulse. This ensures that the full torque from the electromagnetic coil is transferred through the geartrain, ensuring smooth operation. Also, certain Electric movements, like the 24D, have a rather ingenious hacking mechanism which stops the balance wheel in one particular position, with the hairspring under tension. This way, the tension applied will restart the movement the moment the crown is pushed back in.

The only problem with these watches is the very fine wires which connect the coil on the balance, which are prone to damage and somewhat limit the operating lifetime of the movement.

Quote Originally Posted by sixtysix View Post
    I got this Timex electric out of a box of watches I got on ebay, I cleaned it up took out the original Timex Type 1 battery and put in a new one, is started working after a few moments and it keeps perfect time. I added the gold band so it is not original.

It looks stunning for a watch this old. The problem is I don't know how old, most of these have movement and date codes at the bottom of the dial, mines does not. Also they say inside of the back case cover ther might be a code, mine only says Timex Great Britian and has the letters NZL stamped in ink. I look on the web for hours at pictures of Timex electrics and did not see a single one like this (dished area around face and deep gold face).

Any idea of the approx. age of this Timex? Any other info would be great!

I must have missed this post the first time around. Have you tried looking at the dial out of the case? Sometimes, the date code is covered up by the edge of the case.
    How to choose an HDTV (A step by step guide)

How to decipher Rolexspeak:
    Perpetual means Automatic; Datejust lets you adjust the date; A Superlative Chronometre is COSC certified; A Rolex President has an adjustable day and date

wow wonderful info here......
    G-Shocks and subs

Wow I am amazed when one of these old threads gets dug up!! I fixed the photo links.....

On a sad note this watch quit after the replacement battery died and would not restart, I haven't messed with it since. I really used to love wearing it.
    Later, Gary

You know, I have a Timex Electric I got at a garage sale. I will post photos of all my watches soon. It had no straps or battery. I put a battery in, but it would not run. I figured it was dead. I put it away for the last 6 months, but recently dug it out. I didn't understand how to set it. It has a little wheel on the back, but turning it did nothing. Today, I had the bright idea to treat it like a crown and pull it out! Now I can set the time. I put in a battery, but it was still dead. I took out the battery and looked inside. I took canned air and blew it in there and saw a "part" spin back and forth and the second hand would move. I put the battery back in, but still nothing. Then I got the idea to "spin" the watch a little and just like that, it started running and kept on running. Yours might just need that little spin to get it going.

Quote Originally Posted by sixtysix View Post
    Wow I am amazed when one of these old threads gets dug up!! I fixed the photo links.....

On a sad note this watch quit after the replacement battery died and would not restart, I haven't messed with it since. I really used to love wearing it.

Sounds like you have a backset Timex. A lot of the Timex electrics need to be "jump started". I usually give the watch a twist in the horizontal plane. You can also regulate the movement like a mechanical watch.
    How to choose an HDTV (A step by step guide)

How to decipher Rolexspeak:
    Perpetual means Automatic; Datejust lets you adjust the date; A Superlative Chronometre is COSC certified; A Rolex President has an adjustable day and date

It looks exactly like a cat #9025. ( http://www.e-watchmaker.com/tmxservicemanual/4.19l.jpg ) It says it's a #67 movement. Here is a very good picture of it. http://www.affordablevintagejewelry....ico19tiel.html

I understand it's the first Timex Electric. Is it possible it has any real value? One thing I did not mention, it says "West Germany" under the "6".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information