Like Tree2Likes

Thread: How do you remove scratches from titanium without removing the gray finish?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question How do you remove scratches from titanium without removing the gray finish?

I used a pink pencil eraser but it took the finish off and now it looks like stainless steel help.....

Re: How do you remove scratches from titanium without removing the gray finish?

I guess a cape code would help

Check Bergeon watch tools. The have scratch removal supplies and maybe the small brushes can be used for brushed titanium. These little pens are used to blend the scratch out and work very well. The cape cod cloth would polish it.
    Last edited by jlow28; March 26th, 2011 at 00:13.
    "The race is long and,in the end, it's only with yourself..."

I didn't know it could take the finish off like that...what watch/model do you have in Ti?

Unless it is a Citizen with a Duratect coating or other similar kind of coating you are seeing the actual color of the titanium before it forms an oxide layer. When my Seiko Samurai bracelet was scratched I removed the scratches with my handy-dandy model railroad track cleaner (eraser with abrasive) and was alarmed by seeing a lighter color metal. Over time the Ti went back to the nice gray it was before I removed the scratches.

Quote Originally Posted by Worker View Post
    I didn't know it could take the finish off like that...what watch/model do you have in Ti?
    It's a momentum brand watch. I bought it from amazon.com but it came with scratches on the back of the lugs from when they put the bracelet on at the factory.
    Last edited by Edward_Carnby; March 26th, 2011 at 00:37.

Is it in the better, then, just to leave scratches in the titanium rather than trying to remove marks?

Unless titanium is treated with a protective coating (like Citizen's Duratect), titanium 'heals' itself:

TIMET: titanium oxidation: highly resistant to corrosive attack.

...Titanium metal's corrosion resistance is due to a stable, protective, strongly adherent oxide film. This film forms instantly when a fresh surface is exposed to air or moisture. According to Andreeva^(1) the oxide film formed on titanium at room temperature immediately after a clean surface is exposed to air is 12-16 Angstroms thick. After 70 days it is about 50 Angstroms. It continues to grow slowly reaching a thickness of 80-90 Angstroms in 545 days and 250 Angstroms in four years. The film growth is accelerated under strongly oxidizing conditions, such as heating in air, anodic polarization in an electrolyte or exposure to oxidizing agents such as HNO3, C(R)O3, etc.

The composition of this film varies from TiO2 at the surface to Ti2O3, to TiO at the metal interface^(2). Oxidizing conditions promote the formation of TiO2 so that in such environments the film is primarily TiO2. This film is transparent in its normal thin configuration and not detectable by visual means.

A study of the corrosion resistance of titanium is basically a study of the properties of the oxide film. The oxide film on titanium is very stable and is only attacked by a few substances, most notably, hydrofluoric acid. Titanium is capable of healing this film almost instantly in any environment where a trace of moisture or oxygen is present because of its strong affinity for oxygen...

This is what I experienced with my Seiko Samurai's bracelet clasp. I cleaned up the scratches using a rubber eraser with suspended abrasive particles, something I use to restore the brushed finish on my watch bracelets. It initially was shinier and brighter than the rest of the bracelet and watch. Over time, the clasp regained the same color as the rest. This is because Seiko did not treat the titanium of my Samurai. I don't know how cleaning up scratches would affect a treated titanium watch, like my Citizens. I can say that for the entire time that I've owned my Ti Citizens I have not had a noticeable scratch, and this includes my EcoZilla, essentially a 'door knob on a strap' which has been banged about repeatedly. No marks any where, at least on the watch...
    gr8sw likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward_Carnby View Post
    It's a momentum brand watch. I bought it from amazon.com but it came with scratches on the back of the lugs from when they put the bracelet on at the factory.
    Which model is it Edward? Atlas?

Quote Originally Posted by zippofan View Post
    This film is transparent in its normal thin configuration and not detectable by visual means.
    So it's invisible?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information