Like Tree12Likes

Thread: How good are Emporio Armany, Fossil, and Wenger?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

How good are Emporio Armany, Fossil, and Wenger?

- Emporio Armani
    - Fossil
    - Wenger

Do they make good watches? Why?

Re: How good are Emporio Armany, Fossil, and Wenger?

I can vouche for wenger. I bought a rose gold chrono with leather and it is built really solid. The leather band was so nice I want to order an extra in case they stop making it. The watch itself was finished with extreme detail and preciseness.

Hi JP - welcome to WUS affordables! I saw your other thread, and I can see that you are attracted to these watches. Is one better than the others? Probably about similar I think. Fossil makes a ton of different watches, and most of them are decent. Likewise Wenger, perhaps with a bit more of a tool-watch vibe. Armani is a clothing designer, which surprisingly has shown a serious interest in watches that includes mechanical as well as quartz. Their mechanical watches have used Sea-Gull movements and look pretty good. Still, you pay for the designer logo. I consider these in a similar class as Kenneth Cole - started as a shoe-seller which also includes some very good watches.

The problem with us here on WUS, is that we tend to prefer manufacturers that focus only on watches (with a preference for mechanical), rather than knives, suits or gimmicks. You might think that Fossil would win our vote because they mostly make watches, but in fact they mostly make cheap quartz fashion watches. (I have owned two Fossils and they were fine - I liked them). I think you should buy what you like by design and appearance - with a quartz movement all of these are about equivalent. Keep it, wear it, enjoy it. It'll be fine. If you hang out here for a while, you might catch the disease and start buying Seiko, Orient, Bernhardt, Sea-Gull (etc.) for not much more money and have something that you could keep for a lifetime.
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

"The new servant of the sun has aspirations to become its master. A prosthetic device, yes: worn on the wrist, watches tie people to the celestial clockwork. Hundreds of millions of them, lying in what pockets, on what wrists, under what sleeves, revolve in time with it. Yet although they watch the sun, watches have established a kind of independence. They tick as remorselessly through the night as through the day, through the winter as through the summer, as though their environment is not going through vast changes in each 24 hours and each year. These perturbations are part of the lives of all other animals, but people have been encouraged by their clocks to ignore the daily and seasonal cycles and to pretend that there is nothing to contend with but metronome-paced linear time. We appear to have caged the sun inside a machine." Michael Young, The Metronomic Society, p. 204

I would rank them as follows:
    1. Wenger. Swiss made, nice styling, durable and reliable.
    2. Emporio Armany. Usually st. steel, japanese movements, nice styles although some overdone.
    3. Fossil. Nice styles, hit or miss quality, affordable.
    jp_enthusiast likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by skywatch View Post
    Hi JP - welcome to WUS affordables! I saw your other thread, and I can see that you are attracted to these watches. Is one better than the others? Probably about similar I think. Fossil makes a ton of different watches, and most of them are decent. Likewise Wenger, perhaps with a bit more of a tool-watch vibe. Armani is a clothing designer, which surprisingly has shown a serious interest in watches that includes mechanical as well as quartz. Their mechanical watches have used Sea-Gull movements and look pretty good. Still, you pay for the designer logo. I consider these in a similar class as Kenneth Cole - started as a shoe-seller which also includes some very good watches.

The problem with us here on WUS, is that we tend to prefer manufacturers that focus only on watches (with a preference for mechanical), rather than knives, suits or gimmicks. You might think that Fossil would win our vote because they mostly make watches, but in fact they mostly make cheap quartz fashion watches. (I have owned two Fossils and they were fine - I liked them). I think you should buy what you like by design and appearance - with a quartz movement all of these are about equivalent. Keep it, wear it, enjoy it. It'll be fine. If you hang out here for a while, you might catch the disease and start buying Seiko, Orient, Bernhardt, Sea-Gull (etc.) for not much more money and have something that you could keep for a lifetime.
    Well said.

I'd not buy Wenger again, and you know why from my reply to your previous post. I realize buying a watch with an all stainless steel case would solve the one issue I had, but the movement dying! Alas, there are SO MANY other watches out there that I like more now anyway, Wenger isn't even on my radar...

I'd rank them as follows:
    Wenger
    Fossil (They DO have an 11 year warranty and I've had a Fossil for a little over a decade that I love; its been a good performer)
    Armani (Since Fossil is commissioned to make SO MANY other fashion brands, its likely that Armani is actually made by Fossil, but I don't know for sure.)

Just keep in mind most regular quartz movements in these Fossil and "Fashion" watch brands will be a chinese-sourced one costing anywhere from 5-15 bucks. Its a bit of a wake up call when you realize the guts of your watch is only say 10 bucks and you paid 150 or more for the watch...LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by sirgilbert357 View Post
    Just keep in mind most regular quartz movements in these Fossil and "Fashion" watch brands will be a chinese-sourced one costing anywhere from 5-15 bucks. Its a bit of a wake up call when you realize the guts of your watch is only say 10 bucks and you paid 150 or more for the watch...LOL.
    sirgilbert357,

Surprisingly few of them use Chinese-made quartz movements, as they would not be making a significant saving over other makes. A basic Swiss quartz movement (ETA/Ronda) goes for a fair bit less than $4, a Japanese one (Seiko TMI/Citizen Miyota) marginally less, and a Chinese one marginally less again. Even my least expensive - and somewhat infamous Darch watch - has a Miyota.

I tend to agree with skywatch that brands better known for other areas are less attractive. Would anyone deliberately buys Panasonic-brand yoghurt, because Panasonic makes good electrical products?
    Last edited by Seele; May 30th, 2012 at 19:17.

I agree with everything said above, but as I'm wearing a Wenger today, I thought I'd chip in my 2 cents: Wenger do a few models that are very different from everything else out there, and that has attracted me those specific watches. One of mine is an internal bezel world time and the other has moon phases and tide tracking. My two recent Wenger pick-ups both have full stainless cases (I have a 15 year old on that is chrome plated base metal) and seem to be very solid. The finishing is fine, but not the level of a similarly priced Orient or Seiko. I bought them both lightly used for very little money, and feel they were great value.

I would never pay the street price for most Wenger watches (about half of the Suggested Retail Price), as I feel there is much better value out there at those prices. However, Wenger watches are often available at deep discounts, and sell cheaply used, so they can be great value.
    ChiefWahoo likes this.
    All that glitters isn't chrome.

-

my watches: Christopher Ward - Orient - Enicar vintage watches - Wenger - Seiko 5 - Orient Star - DOXA (vintage)

Quote Originally Posted by Seele View Post
    sirgilbert357,

Surprisingly few of them use Chinese-made quartz movements, as they would not be making a significant saving over other makes. A basic Swiss quartz movement (ETA/Ronda) goes for a fair bit less than $4, a Japanese one (Seiko TMI/Citizen Miyota) marginally less, and a Chinese one marginally less again. Even my least expensive - and somewhat infamous Darch watch - has a Miyota.

I tend to agree with skywatch that brands better known for other areas are less attractive. Would anyone deliberately buys Panasonic-brand yoghurt, because Panasonic makes good electrical products?
    You even further clarify and crystallize my point: if the movement is so effin cheap, then why would I pay in excess of 150 for the watch? The more I learn about movements, the less attracted I am to quartz...not to say I wont still buy one in the future, but right now, not a lot impresses me about them. The Seiko Solars / Citizen Eco-Drives are still worthwhile in my book though...

Quote Originally Posted by sirgilbert357 View Post
    You even further clarify and crystallize my point: if the movement is so effin cheap, then why would I pay in excess of 150 for the watch? The more I learn about movements, the less attracted I am to quartz...not to say I wont still buy one in the future, but right now, not a lot impresses me about them. The Seiko Solars / Citizen Eco-Drives are still worthwhile in my book though...
    You mean if the quartz movement itself costs only $4-$15, then every quartz watch should never cost more than this $4-$15 price range?

Quote Originally Posted by jp_enthusiast View Post
    You mean if the quartz movement itself costs only $4-$15, then every quartz watch should never cost more than this $4-$15 price range?
    No, you also have to factor in the other components of the watch: case, dial, hands, lume, strap/bracelet, etc.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information