Thread: Info or Opinions on this Stuhrling Prestige Swiss Made Watch

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Info or Opinions on this Stuhrling Prestige Swiss Made Watch

Does anyone know what kind of movement is used in this watch:

Name:  358.331C2_LG_1.jpg
Views: 7856
Size:  45.3 KB

Stuhrling Prestige Tradition Mens Wristwatch Model: 358.331C2

Is this watch made in Switzerland or is it simply "Swiss made" as I understand the definition. I think it is a pretty classy looking watch. Would it be considered a dress watch or could it be worn casually? Any thoughts? I know that for about the same price there are other alternatives from Tissot, Hamilton, etc. I was just curious about this particular watch

Thanks!
    Last edited by econdreras; January 24th, 2012 at 01:29.
    -Ed-

Re: Info or Opinions on this Stuhrling Prestige Swiss Made Watch

You can be reasonably sure it meets the minimum requirements for "Swiss Made", like most, if not all, similar pieces.

I'd say it's a bit thick for a true dress watch, but it could be worn in a dressy or casual situation. People have different definitions of what constitutes a proper watch for a given occasion, so it's ultimately up to you.

I'd guess it's got a CL-888 movement, which seem to be hit or miss with people.

I think it's overpriced, but if it sings to you, and you buy with full knowledge of what it is and isn't, what you think is all that should matter.

My guess is that it is a Claro-Semag CL-888 movement, which is really a Sea-Gull ST-16, with a few decorative touches added in Switzerland to call with Swiss.

For that kind of money, I'd want a higher reliability and higher beat rate Swiss ETA/Sellita, or a higher end Japanese movement. Alternatively, you could be a Sea-Gull watch, that is probably better quality, with this movement for far less.
    All that glitters isn't chrome.

-

my watches: Christopher Ward - Orient - Enicar vintage watches - Wenger - Seiko 5 - Orient Star - DOXA (vintage)

Alternatives:
    Seiko SARY005:
    Name:  sary005_2.jpg
Views: 7600
Size:  129.1 KB
    Uses Seikos new hacking/hand-winding 4R35 movement.

Sea-Gull M186S
    Name:  bar_roman.jpg
Views: 8216
Size:  110.6 KBName:  186Roman2.jpg
Views: 7955
Size:  117.6 KB
    Eddie Mac likes this.
    All that glitters isn't chrome.

-

my watches: Christopher Ward - Orient - Enicar vintage watches - Wenger - Seiko 5 - Orient Star - DOXA (vintage)

I am going to take a wild guess that its a CL888 movement, dressed up with a Stuhrling wind rotor. The only image I could find is the generic factory www pic, and I could not find a detailed enough image of the CL888 (or seagull ST-16).

Thanks guys. It was more of a curiosity than an actual purchase consideration. I do like the thicker case in a "dressier" watch. It seems a little more versatile in what I can wear with it. But my first choice is still a Tissot Le Locle or a Hamilton Jazzmaster, both of which are around the same price.
    -Ed-

I emailed Stuhrling about the movement used in this series of watches and I got this reply:

Good Afternoon,

The movement on the 358.xxxxx is from a company in Switzerland (TECHNO SABLIER). The movement base is from china. The base / parts are assembled / finished and tested in Switzerland. The movement is a Swiss Made certified movement with the "COUNTRY OF ORIGIN" issued by the Swiss Watch Federation.

We use ST as a prefix on all the movements as the movements we use on STUHRLING watches are customized for our requirements in terms of accuracy / finish / décor etc. In other words the movements are not the standard movements.

Should you require any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.

I have no problems with this in a $399 watch. And I am happy that Stuhrling answered me honestly. It took a while to get a response, but I am satisfied with their answer.
    daschlag likes this.
    -Ed-

The whole Swiss made thing is almost a joke now. A Chinese movement (and trust me I have no problems with them I own a few) should not be considered "Swiss" just because they were put together in Switzerland. If a BMW is assembled in south Carolina, I don't consider it an "American" car....
    monza06 likes this.
    Tissot PRC200
    Invicta 8928OB Pro Diver
    Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra 2503.33.00
    Parnis Power Reserve Automatic
    Tissot Lelocle
    Jacques Lemans Sydney 1-1541G

Quote Originally Posted by econdreras View Post
    I emailed Stuhrling about the movement used in this series of watches and I got this reply:

[/FONT][/COLOR]I have no problems with this in a $399 watch. And I am happy that Stuhrling answered me honestly. It took a while to get a response, but I am satisfied with their answer.
    It's cool that they were open about it.
    econdreras likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bluloo View Post
    It's cool that they were open about it.
    And that's all I was looking for. An honest answer. And I like the way the watch looks. So if the price comes down a little bit more, I am all over it.
    -Ed-

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information