Invicta Gold Plating durability?

Thread: Invicta Gold Plating durability?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Invicta Gold Plating durability?

Howdy,

I'm considering purchasing a gold plated Invicta watch, either one that is two tone or perhaps all gold. Both are gold plated. I was wondering if anyone has had long-term experience with Invicta gold watches? How's the durability of the gold plating? Any coming off etc? Please let me know how long you've worn the watch approximately.

Thank you!
    ~Ross

~Ross

Re: Invicta Gold Plating durability?

Me personally,'ve had a couple of Invicta's with gold plating. I have moved furniture in them and scraped them against metal and concrete. Although you could plainly see that they were badly scratched, to my surprise the gold plating held up like a champ. My wife also has a two tone ladies Invicta and she is very harsh on watches and hers has also held up like a champ. I hope this helps you.

Regards,
    Minuteman

I asked the same question before I bought my first gold plated Invicta two years ago. All the responses that I received praised the quality of the gold plating. I have had several gold plated Invicta's and never had any problems with them. At one time I thought that I was having a flaking problem on the center links on my 9938 and 7029. It turned out that they just do the plating on 3 sides of the links and I was just seeing where the plating ended.

Quote Originally Posted by Minuteman1 View Post
    Me personally,'ve had a couple of Invicta's with gold plating. I have moved furniture in them and scraped them against metal and concrete. Although you could plainly see that they were badly scratched, to my surprise the gold plating held up like a champ. My wife also has a two tone ladies Invicta and she is very harsh on watches and hers has also held up like a champ. I hope this helps you.

Regards,
    Minuteman
    Awesome! thank you for the very helpful comments! I actually bought an all-gold plated Invicta for my wife just recently so it's good to know that it can withstand some abuse, my wife's very hard on her watches too. She's only been wearing it for a few days though , so I couldn't tell how they were going to hold up long term.

How long have you had your gold plated Invictas? Also, are they all-gold or two tone?

Thank you!
    ~Ross

Quote Originally Posted by Russ B-28 View Post
    I asked the same question before I bought my first gold plated Invicta two years ago. All the responses that I received praised the quality of the gold plating. I have had several gold plated Invicta's and never had any problems with them. At one time I thought that I was having a flaking problem on the center links on my 9938 and 7029. It turned out that they just do the plating on 3 sides of the links and I was just seeing where the plating ended.
    Awesome! Thank for the reply. I did a quick search on the forum but couldn't find any threads -- of course I could easily have searched for the wrong keywords.

Thank you very much for the helpful info. I can see the two models you refer to are two-tone models and look lovely.

Thank you,
    ~Ross

Quote Originally Posted by Foxglove View Post
    Awesome! thank you for the very helpful comments! I actually bought an all-gold plated Invicta for my wife just recently so it's good to know that it can withstand some abuse, my wife's very hard on her watches too. She's only been wearing it for a few days though , so I couldn't tell how they were going to hold up long term.

How long have you had your gold plated Invictas? Also, are they all-gold or two tone?

Thank you!
    ~Ross
    I have two tone and an all gold tone. Like I said, me personally...I have no problem with the majority of the product that Invicta puts out. I know that there are people who have had some negative experiences with them but if the product was that bad then why are we seeing them on more and more peoples wrists??? Just a thought....I also know of people who have had horrible experiences with Rolex, Tag, ect. Anyway, enjoy your watch in good health .

Regards,
    Minuteman

I've worn this one on and off for the last eight years. No problems with fading or chipping so far~Cheers!

I've had the 8928 for about a year, wearing it once or twice a week as a desk diver. The plating all looks like new.

bct

I had a 5701 with a two tone bracelet. With minimal wear in less than a year I had worn off the plating on the side of the bracelet . The watch is still OK but the bracelet is shot . I changed out the metal bracelet for a leather band and like the watch better than original. It is now getting much more wear.

TAG Heuer 6000 SST & Gold, TAG Heuer 1500 sand dial, TAG Heuer 1000 two tone
    Bernhardt Sea Shark Yel w/Silver, Bernhardt Binnacle Anchor (orange / white), Bernhardt Officer,
    LUM-TEC M11, LUM-TEC M18, Franchi Menotti Quartz Chrono
    Seiko SND253, Festina Dual Time Retrograde, Movado 9490873
    Sea-gull M172s, Perpetual C-03, Citizen 4-280504KT
    Invicta 5701, Invicta 2876, Invicta Pro Diver Elite
    Invicta Pro Diver 8926, Alpha Mil-Diver, Milieris LC3
    Reactor Gamma TI (Black on Rubber), Reactor Gamma (Red), Reactor Helium

Quote Originally Posted by bct View Post
    I had a 5701 with a two tone bracelet. With minimal wear in less than a year I had worn off the plating on the side of the bracelet . The watch is still OK but the bracelet is shot . I changed out the metal bracelet for a leather band and like the watch better than original. It is now getting much more wear.
    Thanks for the info. I hear this from some people (minority, but consistently) and from others I hear like everyone else is saying that it's fine after years of wear.

I noticed as I was digging, that Invicta started out using 23kt gold plating on most models but has since transitioned to using 18kt gold plating on most of their models (even the same model that used to be 23kt gold is now made with 18kt...). Now I would assume that 18kt would be more durable, but it might have something to do with the way / amount it's applied has also changed through the years.

For example, the 8928 is a two-tone model (see above) and the 2007 Invicta catalog lists it as being 23kt gold plated. However in the Invicta 2008 catalog and subsequent years it's listed as 18kt gold plated. Admittedly, I couldn't find information on the 5701 you mention. It doesn't appear to be produced anymore or I can't find it in order to compare the karat amount.

Very interesting.

Thanks for your comments on your wear -- did you happen to take any pictures of the worn bracelet?

Thanks,
    ~Ross

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information