Jialilei watches?
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Jialilei watches?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Jialilei watches?

I'm not sure where to post this, but I bought one of these off ebay for about $8. I kind of liked the design, with the moving dials. I was wondering if these are cheap knock offs of another watch, or just cheap watches with kind of an interesting design? So far, it's been keeping time well, and I do get compliments on it.

Name:  $(KGrHqIOKiYE3jt7pfM1BOE2(TqI7g~~0_12.JPG
Views: 4049
Size:  38.2 KB

Re: Jialilei watches?

Mechanical or quartz? It is quirky, in a cool sort of way. There was a recent thread from a member who bought a Gevril GV2 that had a slightly similar numerical dial, but full ring instead of the top half. If this is an "homage" then it's to an obscure designer watch, or maybe it's just a sassy Chinese original cheapo. Enjoy!
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

"The new servant of the sun has aspirations to become its master. A prosthetic device, yes: worn on the wrist, watches tie people to the celestial clockwork. Hundreds of millions of them, lying in what pockets, on what wrists, under what sleeves, revolve in time with it. Yet although they watch the sun, watches have established a kind of independence. They tick as remorselessly through the night as through the day, through the winter as through the summer, as though their environment is not going through vast changes in each 24 hours and each year. These perturbations are part of the lives of all other animals, but people have been encouraged by their clocks to ignore the daily and seasonal cycles and to pretend that there is nothing to contend with but metronome-paced linear time. We appear to have caged the sun inside a machine." Michael Young, The Metronomic Society, p. 204

Quartz (figured it didn't belong in the Chinese mechanical section). These sorts of watches are fun for me to pick up on e-bay, but I always tell people it's just a cheapy Chinese watch if they ask. However, I don't want to be wearing something that is pretending to be something else, I guess the correct terminology in these forums is "homage". Thanks for the reply. I'm still new here, and I hope I'm not double posting. My replies don't show up right away, maybe this is normal?

Quote Originally Posted by skywatch View Post
    Mechanical or quartz? It is quirky, in a cool sort of way. There was a recent thread from a member who bought a Gevril GV2 that had a slightly similar numerical dial, but full ring instead of the top half. If this is an "homage" then it's to an obscure designer watch, or maybe it's just a sassy Chinese original cheapo. Enjoy!
    I'm the gentleman with the GV2 and guess what? I am waiting for the exact same watch as sheenjesus, same price too .
    While the concept is similar, the Jialilei is more evocative of some vintage jump hour or mystery dialed watches. There are several designs of the same concept at the ebay seller's store, some read from the top some from one side or the other of the dial. I'm a big fan of quirky stuff like these revolving disk watches.
    here's pics of each for comparison purposes.

I think the ultimate example of this concept is the IsseyMiyake TO Automatic:
    Last edited by Daboryder; July 9th, 2011 at 07:49.

Quote Originally Posted by Daboryder View Post
    I think the ultimate example of this concept is the IsseyMiyake TO Automatic:
    I absolutely love this Miyake design. I have had a picture of it in my "interest" files for two years now. That's a bit dangerous, because sometimes I end up splurging on these sorts of things, especially if (rare) they come up affordable. In fact, I just splurged on something a bit like that, and I've been waiting for the watch for the last couple days. It's a Citizen Astrodea, which kinda falls into this category, in that it has rotating disks covered with a star chart, and they move at true astronomical ratios. A picture of the Astrodea has been in the same "interest" folder as the Miyake, so you get the idea. I lika'da'funk too, ya know?

"The new servant of the sun has aspirations to become its master. A prosthetic device, yes: worn on the wrist, watches tie people to the celestial clockwork. Hundreds of millions of them, lying in what pockets, on what wrists, under what sleeves, revolve in time with it. Yet although they watch the sun, watches have established a kind of independence. They tick as remorselessly through the night as through the day, through the winter as through the summer, as though their environment is not going through vast changes in each 24 hours and each year. These perturbations are part of the lives of all other animals, but people have been encouraged by their clocks to ignore the daily and seasonal cycles and to pretend that there is nothing to contend with but metronome-paced linear time. We appear to have caged the sun inside a machine." Michael Young, The Metronomic Society, p. 204

I'm really glad I joined these forums. It's nice to hear that other people are buying these, and enjoying them. I'm pretty new to watches, and at first, I was kind of just throwing money at whatever. Fortunately, I was able to unload some of it on craigslist. I bought one of those pictured above, and one with the side blacked out (which was bigger) and I like them both. It's reassuring as a total watch noob to see replies. I feel a little more confident wearing these now.

That GV2 is neat too. Is it actuallly Swiss made? I really like that Miyake one though. Where do you get them, and about how much do they cost?
    Last edited by sheenjesus; July 10th, 2011 at 00:07.

Regarding the Isao Miyake, you can just Google "Issey Miyake Men's Silas004" and you'll find many sellers, mostly around $1000+, more than I want to pay. I actually prefer the 003, which is natural brushed aluminum instead of black anodized. Luckily I am safe from splurging on this, because it's too big for my tastes, at 45mm. My sweet spot is around 40mm. Phew: Saved by another oversized watch!

There are dozens of variations on this disk theme. I am loathe to call them jump-hour watches, because I own real jumpers from the 70's - and i prefer the jump mechanism over the rotating disks (although I own some of them too) I prefer to call 'em direct read. Many of the cheaper ones are quartz, while others are automatic, yet others are manual wind. Like I said, they are everywhere.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    skywatch likes this.

Ive been wondering about this for a while now, but whats the point of a watch with a "dial" like that? It looks like a huge chunk of metal and i dont see how you can use it to tell the time...is it just a gimmick?

I admit, it takes awhile to get used to (especially the direct read, not too much the jump hours). However, it's like reading a bathroom scale. There's a pointer. If it's between numbers, well time always goes forward, never back. If you think about it, not too much different from a regular watch, only backward - the numbers move and the 'hands' stay stationary, rather than the other way around.

You want confusion? Try using a E6B slide rule (a moveable bezel with a LOT of tiny numbers and pointers on it, with another stationary ring inside the watch that corresponds - on many pilot watches) as a calculator!

If you really like this design, you'll get used to it, trust me!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information