Last of the recent incoming

Thread: Last of the recent incoming

-->

Last of the recent incoming

The final incoming from my most recent set of purchases has finally arrived. It is a vintage Timex hand winder. It came without a strap or spring bars, but it works, and keeps excellent time. I put it on a cheap faux leather strap I had in a drawer. (I ordered a new strap last night) It looks really nice. I like the deep red dial color. I tried to get a good pic of it, but I am not sure if it comes across. The only issue I have with this watch is that the hour hand is about 8 minutes behind. I will need to find out how to fix this problem. Otherwise, I am thrilled with my "new" watch.

On to the pics...

Name:  VinTimex.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  482.0 KBName:  VinTimex2.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  467.6 KBName:  VinTimex3.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  533.5 KB

That's great looking - really, retro cool (in fact I think there's a Timex Originals piece which is very similar).
    Ball | Bulova | Casio | CWC | HMT | Invicta | Nomos | Omega | Orient | Rolex | Seagull | Seiko | Shanghai | Timex | Vostok

Re: Last of the recent incoming

Thanks Olly.

If anyone knows how to fix the problem with this watch, it would be greatly appreciated.

My very first watch in 1970 was a hand-wind Timex. Yours looks more like the Bucherer that I bought in 1977, so I'll guess it's mid-70s design. As for fixing the hand alignment problem, you'll probably have to open the watch, get into the face and gently push the hands towards alignment. Probably, if you aren't sure about this, you should ask a watch-repair shop to do it and request that you observe the process. Every watch disassembles differently and some old ones will just get nasty when you try to pop the face from the crystal, so there is a risk. Enjoy!
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

"The new servant of the sun has aspirations to become its master. A prosthetic device, yes: worn on the wrist, watches tie people to the celestial clockwork. Hundreds of millions of them, lying in what pockets, on what wrists, under what sleeves, revolve in time with it. Yet although they watch the sun, watches have established a kind of independence. They tick as remorselessly through the night as through the day, through the winter as through the summer, as though their environment is not going through vast changes in each 24 hours and each year. These perturbations are part of the lives of all other animals, but people have been encouraged by their clocks to ignore the daily and seasonal cycles and to pretend that there is nothing to contend with but metronome-paced linear time. We appear to have caged the sun inside a machine." Michael Young, The Metronomic Society, p. 204

I kind of figured I would need to just push the hand forward. I didn't want to if there was a better way to do it. Thanks

Thread Information