WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Looking for a tactical watch? Want this, get this...

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  carlowus 
#1 ·
This is a watch that I wanted to see for a while. I did actually have for a short time in my hand a silver version with the quartz movement and I did not like it at all. It looked too small and did not look right on my wrist. So it took a long time to get another one because I thought it was just not going to work.

Recently however I had a chance to do a trade and ended up with this watch, it came with the original rubber strap and once I put it on I just hated it. Too tight and not good looking on my wrist at all. So I did what I did not do the last time, remove the rubber and put the watch on a Zulu, I had this Zulu strap that I had used for years and so it's a little faded, but I did not care really since I was just going to try.

First of all a surprise, there are two sets of spring bar holes in the lugs, I guess one set for the bracelet and the other for the rubber strap. Once I installed the Zulu the watch transformed totally into a wearable, nice fitting and comfortable time piece.

Victorinox were some of my first watches that I actually bought myself, they were quartz and they were nice. But for years I never got another because I did not like too much the models available. I cannot say that I would have designed this model watch this way either, however overall I liked this particular model, the dark blue color was the best in combination with the dark PVD coating in my opinion and I had read that it was solid and reliable.

In fact this was also featured in an article in Gear Patrol where it was favorably compared to a Breitling Seawolf at least as an affordable alternative:

Breitling Avenger Seawolf vs Victorinox Dive Master 500 - Gear Patrol

Also more data here, these articles helped in my convincing that it would be nice to try one out:

Swiss Army Victorinox Dive Master 500 Mechanical Watch Review | aBlogtoWatch

At 43mm in diameter the watch is not too large for me, the lugs are 22mm which allow for a nice selection of possible straps. The movement is the ET2892 which is an higher grade from the usual workhorse ETA2824. The finish is really nice and the watch even though a little sharp edged is pleasant to hold and wear. At first I thought that it was a bummer that they did not make the Auto version in steel but only in black ice how they call it, which is some sort of gunmetal color, dark gray. But now that I have it I don't mind it and in fact I like it. I got the watch used on a trade in fact and so it has a few light marks here and there,

The dial has chrome framed markers just like the hands and that gives it a bit of a different look, more elegant then toolish, the reflection on the chromed polished parts is evident at certain angles and while it is a nice thing, it surely isn't much toolish. At least in my opinion. But the fact does not diminish the practicality or functionality of the watch.

The lume is really nice and while it is not as bright as a Seiko lume at the beginning, it lasts all night and it is actually one of the best readable watches through the night. It is almost as if it does not get too bright at first but then retain higher brightness throughout. Nice. The bezel is also half lumed, the numbers and markers from 12 to 20min are lumed.

The crown is signed and it is nice. The holes on the lugs are not drilled through, I guess since they have two sets it would have looked funny. The shape of the case is definitely reminding me of a Brietling and although well finish is quite toolish looking. Thick and solid,

The watch overall is not very heavy to me and I think that part of it is the fact that they made a see trough case back showing the movement. I really don't care for that but I guess some do. The movement is not too bad looking but does not seem like anything special to me in terms of etching or engraving. Overall it fits nicely on my wrist and it is reasonably comfortable.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.