Luminox and Traser....

Thread: Luminox and Traser....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Luminox and Traser....

Are they manufactured by the same company? Their "military" model looks suspiciously similar to my "Navy Seals" watch. But Traser has autos and AFAIK there's no Luminox autos. Is it just the "entry-level" watches that are the same and the rest of the product lines differ?

Re: Luminox and Traser....

I think both are made by MB Microtec. As for movements I am not sure why one has autos....
    Later, Gary

We are the caretakers of mechanical art.
    Member NAWCC, National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors

I believe so, maybe the guys on Pil-Mil might know better...

I love my Luminox, it has been on Scouting trips, snorkeling,swimming and runs great

Cheers,
    Griff

hmm. I had heard of MB Microtec but I thought they just supplied the tritium tubes themselves. Is there an H3 version of the Military/Navy Seals? (I also notice the terms H3, Traser, and tritium used interchangeably. Probably MB Microtec owns all the involved patents?)

Banned

MB Microtec does supply the tritium tubes but that is all. Both watches are very similar looking, the main difference being the Tracer has 'sterile' dials on some of theirs models which some people seem to prefer. The idea of a watch with "NAVY SEALS" or "Special Forces" on the dial is kind of a love/hate thing. Some like military style watches while others can't stand any markings on the dial saying so.

Traser is mb-microtec's house brand...

Aloha,

mb-microtec ag (that's the way they print their name, all lower cased) not only created the tritium vials (they use the name "trigalight", but also known as gaseous tritium light sources, or GTLS), but I believe they actually manufactured the Stocker & Yale Sandy P650 (the original military contract watch) and the Luminox models (Luminox I think is still the brand for Richard Barry Enterprises). RBE used to pay Stocker & Yale a royalty for every "Navy Seals" dive watch sold. The Traser brand is mb-microtec's house brand. Here's the description of the company, from their own website:

"mb-microtec ag is a medium-sized company based near Bern.
    The staff of approximately 50 is spread over two locations in Niederwangen. Freiburgstrasse 624 (production trigalight, glotac) and Freiburgstrasse 634 (administration, production traser watches)."

And I'm sure you'd enjoy looking at their website:

http://www.mbmicrotec.com/index_e.html

Mahalo,

andy

Wow thank you :D So is the Luminox "Navy Seals" watch not an actual gov't contract watch, but a replica of it?

Not a replica...

Aloha,

I wouldn't call the Luminox a replica, because I think it's made at the same factory, by the same company, of the same components as the Sandy P650. To show you how close the Luminox and Sandy watches can appear, take a look at the photo below:

It's a photo I took of three of my watches some years ago. The real military watch is the one in the middle, the Sandy P650. The one on the left is a Luminox with a sterile dial from Bill Yao of Mk II, and the second hand has been painted. The one on the right is a customized Luminox Blackbird, which is essentially the same watch but in PVD coated stainless steel. Jack Alexyon of IWW installed Bill Yao's dial, painted the second hand, and beadblasted the caseback. Functionally, the watches are identical. How do you tell the real military watch? See those holes in the crown guards and the case on the opposite side? Only a Sandy P650 has those.

Here are the three casebacks:

If you want to see more on the Sandy, take a look at Hyunsuk Seung's wonderful photo article on the watch:

http://www.50717.com/us/sandy-p650.html

Mahalo,

andy

Quote Originally Posted by SquishyPanda View Post
    Wow thank you :D So is the Luminox "Navy Seals" watch not an actual gov't contract watch, but a replica of it?

OH ok so for all intents and purposes it is the same watch, just re-branded.

Luminox Watches are now made by Mondaine located in Switzerland. The illumination is still from mb-microtec ag.
    Luminox-----Ult.Navy SEALs Dive Chrono 8362
    --------------EVO F-117 Nighthawk 6401
    --------------Field Time Date 1828
    Kalashnikov-AK 2282.02
    --------------AK 1000
    www.saatfarki.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information