WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Maratac pilot watch.

28K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  majorh 
#1 ·
Pick this one about two weeks ago, just because great value - huge sapphire, C3 lum, with proven Miyota movement (8245). But more I have them more they appeal to me. Especially after I made good leather strap for it.

First of all - this is real pilot tool-watch, ordered from Maratac by some local agency (it will be nice to know what agency it is). With huge sterile dial, big marks it really looks like pilot tool, right from the dashboard.

It also has pretty simple cheap plastic (nylon) strap, which I decide to replace with thick leather strap, I made myself. I should say it change look of this watch quite dramatically.

It has Sapphire curved crystal - which is hard to scratch and more transparent. Stainless steel, 10 ATM case - not for diving, but should be OK to swim, big screwed crown between 4 and 5.

I guess agency was looking for watch which will be easy to read - this one really hard to miss. It is 46mm wide and most of this width is dial - 39mm. Some of my divers has bethel this wide. On that dial they have bug hour numbers and marks as well as minutes marks too. Lume is brightest C3 - so i is pretty visible day and night.

Only unusual for me is small seconds dial. Whic I get used to. Only thing I can not get used yet - it has no date, but I can live with it.

I really like this watches so far. Mostly because of size - mean readability.

Accuracy is pretty good: +2 sec/day on hand and -2 sec/day on the desk in normal position (face 45 degree up).

This is some videos:
YouTube - Maratac Pilot Watch
YouTube - Maratac pilot watch Miyota 8245 sapphire 2

Only cons I see - it is kind of noisy. I can hear it ticking - only when I work at night of course, but streel I can not hear other watches, as well I can sometimes hear rotor moving (which is same for my other Miyota watch DB Sead Diver 1000)

Thanks, Vassili.

See less See more
#6 ·
Very nice, cool strap and great photos too, thank you for posting them :-!
I was surprised when I saw it pop up in another post since I usually check that vendor (CountyComm) regularly for camping and outdoor goodies. I would love to see a wrist shot since I think it might be a bit big on my wrist.

Cheers,
Griff

#10 ·
My other hobby - knives. I cut myself many times so not to be embarrassed by all this scars and cuts I start wearing gloves.
Also my fingers marks crystal and polished steel and make it looks bad - especially on nice finish watch like Seiko Sumo.

#16 ·
Recent development...

I decided to replace hands. Old hands were hard to read - hours not much different from minutes and easy to mix up at night.
So I go to watchmaker, he showed me possible variants and I pick one I like most - Omega style: arrowheads, silver.

Today I pick it back and really like new hands! They are hard to mix and so easy to read.

I also ask to pressure test - it pass 230 feet positive pressure test! So I can really swim and even dive with this watch!

#19 ·
Recent development.

Lume on new hands is almost invisible - it is not SuperLuminova and even I like new hands I decided to swith hands back. However I add little dot with black oil marker in the middle of the minute hand - will see how will it work.

Also after replacement watch stops and matchmaker had a close look at the movement. Turns out it was little piece of plastic spacer in the movement causing this problem and he fixed it for free. But he noticed that all rubies are black - covered with old hardened oil and oiled recently over that cover. Cleaning it up will cost more then new watch (with old movement

Our conclusion was that this watches were made from old stock movements which stays on the shell for a while and so oil turns dark and harden. However this did not affect stability of accuracy - they show same results as ETA-2824.

#20 ·
Hi. I was just curious if the rest of the Maratac Pilot watch owners have the same thing as me. If you move your arm you can hear the internals of the watch? Just want to make sure my watch is normal here and didn't want to start a new thread. lol. Would appreciate your replies. Thanks!!!

#21 ·
I think you are ok. My maratac Pilot just came in this afternoon and it does the same thing, sounds like there are broken pieces rattling around in there! This is my first mechanical watch so I was not used to it but after reading up on the Miyota 8245 movement(based on 8215) it seems like it is normal for them to be noisy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.