View Poll Results: watch too big?

Voters
103. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yup

67 65.05%
  • Nope

36 34.95%
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: my Costco impulse buy - is this watch too ridiculously huge on me?

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

my Costco impulse buy - is this watch too ridiculously huge on me?

Hi all. I was at Costco this afternoon and got that familiar itch to buy...

Spotted an interesting Casio in the case, one I've seen before. I knew it was large but I like the clean pilot design so much I decided I'd give it a try.

Now I've got it on my wrist and I'm pretty conflicted as to whether to keep it or not. At 45mm, it is by far the biggest watch I've worn. I have 6" wrists and my largest non-digital watch so far has been 43mm - I usually prefer not to go bigger than 40mm.

I just wanted to get people's opinions on whether this watch is WAY too ridiculously huge, or just passable enough that I could wear it.

[Edit] The watch only cost me $85, which is one of the reasons I'm hedging on returning it.

Here are some photos:

Name:  C6570066-BEF5-4AD0-9B7C-9F1AE7D569D0-4645-0000045E02D05C6A.jpg
Views: 2239
Size:  266.1 KB

Name:  0B987C93-0E48-4EBC-8443-DEBA5BA08692-4645-0000045E08647C10.jpg
Views: 2881
Size:  173.1 KB

Name:  7DE9E724-45F7-4B87-B86F-4A0BC8FF254A-4645-0000045E0CC4F7CB.jpg
Views: 2085
Size:  260.8 KB

Name:  A6954C00-9AE1-45E2-97DA-0FF770353121-4645-0000045E1194E158.jpg
Views: 2220
Size:  239.8 KB

Name:  9914805C-539E-44FF-AA13-E71806DEE7F8-4645-0000045E15F9095E.jpg
Views: 2055
Size:  312.2 KB

The close-up shot makes it look like the lugs overhang, but they are actually just about the same length as my wrist is wide.
    Last edited by LesserBlackDog; January 2nd, 2013 at 23:36.
    GTR83 and Dan-LAX like this.
    Cheers,
    Ben "LBD"

Re: my Costco impulse buy - is this watch too ridiculously huge on me?

Actually, that's a really cool looking watch. I have wrists that are only slightly bigger than yours and that would tempt me. I have stopped answering the "does this watch look to big on me?" question on the basis of self-taken cell phone shots. Those photos make even small watches look big and big watches look like sun dials . . on many wrists.

I have a couple of larger pieces that I wear on weekends with long sleeves, sweaters, sweatshirts etc - where the watch/wrist size ratio isn't so noticeable. With short sleeves, yeah, it's a bit much and I'd avoid it. With sleeves (and assuming you don't care whether it fits under the cuffs or not) I think it looks cool.
    GTR83 likes this.

It's hideous. You should package it up and send it to me immediately :)

Honestly, It look a bit oversized to me but, if you like the look, don't sweat what anyone else thinks. Good find for that price
    uknow&who likes this.
    A man who is inconsistent in his speech cannot be trusted. ~ Huldrych Zwingli, 1523
    An easy way to store your watches: The $12 Watch Drawer. DIY instructions.

It certainly makes a statement! I think it's a cool looking watch, and while it would certainly be too big for *me* I think it fits a common style these days, so you would have to be the one to decide whether it's comfortable or not.
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

"The new servant of the sun has aspirations to become its master. A prosthetic device, yes: worn on the wrist, watches tie people to the celestial clockwork. Hundreds of millions of them, lying in what pockets, on what wrists, under what sleeves, revolve in time with it. Yet although they watch the sun, watches have established a kind of independence. They tick as remorselessly through the night as through the day, through the winter as through the summer, as though their environment is not going through vast changes in each 24 hours and each year. These perturbations are part of the lives of all other animals, but people have been encouraged by their clocks to ignore the daily and seasonal cycles and to pretend that there is nothing to contend with but metronome-paced linear time. We appear to have caged the sun inside a machine." Michael Young, The Metronomic Society, p. 204

Watch looks good but I think it is a bit too big for your wrist. I have 7.25" flat wrist and 44mm is about my limit.

Quote Originally Posted by skywatch View Post
    It certainly makes a statement! I think it's a cool looking watch, and while it would certainly be too big for *me* I think it fits a common style these days, so you would have to be the one to decide whether it's comfortable or not.
    Not surprisingly, Robert is right. I wouldn't wear something that large as a matter of personal taste, but I don't think that it is so large that I would put it in the "you look like an idiot" category. In fact, I actually think that it looks quite good on you. Big yes, too big if my wrists were just like yours yes, stupidly big no.
    Cheers,

Argggg I miss clicked on my iPad. So I voted 'Yup' but I wanted to vote 'nope'.

The watch is not too big. On 2 of your pictures it looks very big but that's the cameras distorted perspective. Look at the pictures you took via the mirror. You can easily wear this watch without looking weird or something. Enjoy the watch and wear it proudly!
    Takemusu likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DenverBuff View Post
    I have stopped answering the "does this watch look to big on me?" question on the basis of self-taken cell phone shots. Those photos make even small watches look big and big watches look like sun dials . . on many wrists.
    Yeah, that's why I tried to take photos from a few different distances. Extreme close-ups can make any watch look freakishly big.

Quote Originally Posted by J.W. View Post
    It's hideous. You should package it up and send it to me immediately :)
    I'll do that... along with an $85 bill for the watch and a $100 S&H charge

Quote Originally Posted by skywatch View Post
    Oversized watches are so common these days that I could probably wear it, in theory. But I'm not sure it's a trend I want to participate in - I prefer my watches to be understated, rather than statement-makers.

I guess the watch will be going back tomorrow... a shame, as it's a really cool design, a well-built watch, and a steal at $85. At 41-42mm it would be a keeper for sure, but 45mm is just too far outside my comfort zone.
    Last edited by LesserBlackDog; January 3rd, 2013 at 00:42.
    Cheers,
    Ben "LBD"

Handsome watch. Looks great. Rock on!
    No guarantee of accuracy or warranty of fitness for use of any information or offer provided in this post is either expressed or implied. Redemption value of such information or offer equals 1/100th of the amount paid for it. By reading this post, reader waives all rights to sue poster and hereby absolves such poster of all liability for any and all damages, both actual and consequential, resulting from the reading, use, or misuse of such information or offer. All offers are limited to and governed by the laws of the State of Moronica and are subject to retroactive rejection, withdrawal, or revision without notice.

For a young guy, it won't get a second glance, size-wise.
    As others have said, it's up to you what "statement" your watch size makes. Most people won't care about that, and it looks well-sized on you in the distance shots.

If you like it, keep it.
    Wrist size: 7"

Current: Omega ST 368.1501.B00 "Seamaster 120" -- Hamilton H64514181 "Flight Timer" -- Zeno-USA ZN-001 "Explorer" -- Orient 2EV03001W "President" Day-Date -- WUS CMWF 2013 ST-5 Forum Watch -- WUS F71 AWFLE Forum Watch

Former: WUS CMWF 2012 Dual Crown Forum Watch #007 --Perpetual J-01 "Jump Hour" --Seiko SNZF17 "Baby Sumo" Dive-style -- Seiko SNK807 "Military" Pilot -- Smiths PRS-25 Everest

Incoming: Aevig Huldra

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread Information