Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By GGN

Thread: Need a beach watch? Casio MRW-200H

GGN

Need a beach watch? Casio MRW-200H

Just back from 2 weeks in Spain with my girlfriend. She was quite taken with the luminous display and swimming pool resistance of my offensive-looking Casio HDA-600, so some of you will be pleased to know that I gave it to her and, therefore, will not be posting it here again. Here's one final picture on a rubber/orange stich strap:
    Name:  SAM_0636.JPG
Views: 4170
Size:  106.2 KB

So, given that she had adopted my watch, she felt compelled to get me a new one. She has shown zero interest in watches until now, so I was interested to see what she would pick. I suggested a budget of €50 and she chose the Casio MRW-200H. We picked it up for €30 and this, she said, is a real man's watch, laughing at various smaller dress watches which I might have looked at had I been alone. I had seen the pictures of the MRW-200H on here before and didn't think much of it. Even in the shop when she pointed at it I was concerned ! However! It's a fantastic watch. Very light for a start. It's also quite big, about 42mm across without the crown, 45 with. I'm of the smaller wrist brigade (~6.5), but, in real life, this looks good on me and I think would suit any wrist size.
    Name:  SAM_0637.JPG
Views: 9673
Size:  116.1 KB

It's a lightweight resin case, with a resin crystal - which I always like as it can be polished. The hands are clear, dial surface is matte and makes for easy reading. The luminous paint extends to the hands and numerals but, despite Casio's boasts, it is very weak lume. Neither bright nor long lasting - the HDA-600 was far, far better. I know some people have taken to reluming these watches and I might do the same. The rubber strap is thin and comfortable. The bezel is unidirectional.
    Name:  SAM_0640.JPG
Views: 5367
Size:  119.7 KB

Ideal beach watch. The 100m WR means you don't have to worry when jumping into the sea/pool. The resin case/band means you can wash it easily. And, for those of you who, like me, choose to embark on a few too many cocktails (I don't normally drink), the 'day' feature comes in handy..!

Name:  SAM_0641.JPG
Views: 3173
Size:  126.6 KB

So, overall, for $/€20-30, this is a fine holiday/beach watch which looks more expensive than it is. I doubt it will stand the test of time, but for summer - it's perfect.

Thanks for reading!
    Last edited by GGN; June 22nd, 2012 at 16:12. Reason: Spulling. Eh, speeling. No wait, spelling!
    zippofan likes this.
    www.geoffnolan.com

Re: Need a beach watch? Casio MRW-200H

It isn't purposefully ugly like the MRW. Definitely looks like a good beater.
    All that glitters isn't chrome.

-

my watches: Christopher Ward - Orient - Enicar vintage watches - Wenger - Seiko 5 - Orient Star - DOXA (vintage)

Member Horrible Gelatinous Blob's Avatar

While reading, the whole time I was thinking: "You've got to foster her watch interest man!"

Hmm, I saw this watch the other day at a local store, I'll go give it a look.

btw I don't think the HDA-600 is THAT bad...it looks very...utilitarian to say the least

GGN

Cheers, guys. Took this 'lume' shot last night. It is - by far - the worst luminous paint I have on any watch. My 7.99 Lidl watch destroys it. And it lasts about 30 mins... This annoys me because it's a great watch otherwise. Come on Casio!
    Name:  SAM_0649.jpg
Views: 2900
Size:  74.9 KB
    www.geoffnolan.com

I hate you, I told myself I was done buying watches for 2012 but with $15 in eBay bucks set to activate soon, I will probably buy the Casio. Ticks so many boxes so far as my new clinical beater: blacked out watch with white markers, 100mm, some lume, 24 hour markers, resin/rubber strap, from a reputable watch company, and cheap.
    Alfex |Casio|Citizen|Hamilton|HMT|Orient|Poljot |Sea-Gull|Seiko|Timex|Tissot|Vostok

GGN

You cannot hate a fellow Triumph lover, though my interest extends to the old 4-wheeled Stag variety:) Let me know if you pick up one of these Casios - they come in 4 styles, would be great to see some more pictures!

Quote Originally Posted by Y4BBZY View Post
    I hate you, I told myself I was done buying watches for 2012 but with $15 in eBay bucks set to activate soon, I will probably buy the Casio. Ticks so many boxes so far as my new clinical beater: blacked out watch with white markers, 100mm, some lume, 24 hour markers, resin/rubber strap, from a reputable watch company, and cheap.
    www.geoffnolan.com

Thread Information