New meaning of "Swiss Made"
Like Tree177Likes

Thread: New meaning of "Swiss Made"

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

New meaning of "Swiss Made"

In case anyone missed the news, beginning Jan 1, 2017, more stringent requirements are in place for a watch to be labeled "Swiss Made." This news story from the main page describes the changes...

New "Swiss made" label to be introduced from January 1, 2017 - watchuseek.com

Interestingly, these requirements are now extended to smart watches.
    Perdendosi likes this.

Re: New meaning of "Swiss Made"

New standard, old news, still too weak\flexible of a standard.
    Ultimately, a smart consumer should look at a watch and a brand, not a country of origin.
    "Swiss Made" Patek or Rolex or IWC is a completely different animal from "Swiss Made" Tissot or Swatch and they are quite different from "Swiss Made" Swiss Legend or Rotary.

FH - The new requirements stipulated by Swissness
    Despite all the tightening and focus on making "Swiss Made" Swiss, the regulations still allow more holes that a wheel of swiss cheese.
    In affordable space (as this is F71) - I don't care if it is Chinese, Swiss, German or Japanese. It's all about specific watch quality.
    Once I go upmarket ($5K and up) - Swiss Made better be truly Swiss Made (all but minor parts or straps\bracelets). Granted at those price points there are also amazing offerings from Germans, some Japanese (GS), and even a taste of US Made (RGM)
    Sevenmack, Crezo, docvail and 2 others like this.
    "I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." George Bernard Shaw
    "Don’t argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" Greg King
    “Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.” Mark Twain
    "The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
    "A Rose by any other name will smell as sweet. But it does not follow that whatever we choose to call a Rose will possess the Rose's fragrance." BB Warfield

Do you think these new rules will affect on the prices of the old stock?

Quote Originally Posted by anarasanen View Post
    Do you think these new rules will affect on the prices of the old stock?
    I'm sure the mid and high end brands don't have to change a thing. Most reputable smaller makers have probably already made accommodations.

I would imagine this change only impacts low-end brands trying to get "Swiss made" on the cheap.
    TJ Boogie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SaoDavi View Post
    I'm sure the mid and high end brands don't have to change a thing. Most reputable smaller makers have probably already made accommodations.

I would imagine this change only impacts low-end brands trying to get "Swiss made" on the cheap.
    What do you think these low-end brands are? Victorinox, Certina, Tissot maybe?

I thought I would get caught up with the "Swiss Made" fascination/interest. It just has not worked out that way for me so far. Could've bought a few "Swiss Made" timepieces but just couldn't justify it. Japanese, Russian and even Chinese affordable watches sufficed. I'm more fascinated with the exterior design of the watch than the movement I guess and that's the only thing that really makes me want some "Swiss Made" brand watches. I have nothing against "genuine" Swiss Made watches, would welcome owning one someday.

For some reason, the title of this thread reminded me of this scene from this movie......

saltddirk and devilsbite like this.

Quote Originally Posted by anarasanen View Post
    What do you think these low-end brands are? Victorinox, Certina, Tissot maybe?
    Probably not anything owned by the Swatch Group or the Richemont Group. Maybe VSA, Christopher Ward, or other small makers in the sub $1k price range. Basically any vendor making budget offerings in China and somehow managing to squeak over that 51% line.

Actually, the new rules SEEM like they're more stringent, but if you read the fine-print, they're actually less stringent.

The rules for "Swiss Made" have huge loopholes in them. People read the percentage of value rules, and just stop reading there. They don't bother to read the rest of the rules, which allow for labor, certification and R&D costs to be included in the percentage of value calculation - the net effect is 100% of the parts could come from outside Switzerland, and the watch could still be marked as "Swiss Made".

If you really want a quality watch, just buy a quality watch, and ignore the point of supposed origin, which is just marketing fluff, intended to get you to pay more.
    This used to be my signature, but now it's just this generic drawing of a watch.

Hidden Content

This ^

Isn't it the case that "Made in USA" has far more stringent requirements than "Swiss made"? I.e., if something says "Made in USA", then it really was?
    Sevenmack likes this.
    Stefan Vorkoetter: Programmer, hobbyist, amateur watchmaker, pilot, and collector of fountain pens, slide rules, calculators, and watches.

Sea-Gull "1963" ChronographVortix Evolution (Explorer/Ranger homage)Vortix Adventurer (Sub/Explorer homage) • Black Lagoon (Black Bay homage) • Стрела (Strela) "Civil" Chronograph • Velocimaster V-33 (X-33 homage) • Штурманские (Sturmanskie) Chronograph Полет (Poljot)/Sekonda Alarm • Восток Амфибия (Vostok Amphibia) 420 with Cavalry Dial • Timex Expedition

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information