Greetings all, I'm interested in purchasing a watch but I have only a very vague and scattered view of what I'm looking for. Wondering if this list brings something to mind for anyone:
1. Would like to keep it less than $100, actually would love to keep it under $75. But this isn't a hard limit. If a really great option were available for more, I'd consider it.
2. I like divers, or watches that are diver-esque. But this isn't essential either. E.g. Watches that have a basic diver build but have compass directions on the bezel instead of minute increments are cool (saw a seiko like that recently).
3. Actually I'm much more of a mountain person than an ocean person, so I feel a bit of a poser wearing a dive watch. But whatever, it's just a watch right?
4. I like stuff that's a little on the big/chunky side. I tried on an orient mako (the regular, not the xl) and found it too small. That said, I have dainty little wrists (I was once told my wrists befit a man who lifts a teacup from a saucer--that man was my dad), so it can't be too huge. I also tried on a swiss legend (I know that's an awful brand) and I felt like a pimp wearing it--and not in a good way. 42 mm might be a minimum. Not sure what a maximum would be.
5. A little color would be nice, but not too ostentatious. Perhaps a nice blue dial, for instance.
6. It'd be nice to have a less pedestrian brand than Casio or Timex. But I'm not opposed to Casio or Timex if that's what the best option is. I am, however, opposed to being the kind of man who would oppose Casio or Timex based upon brand name alone. So like points 1 and 2, I'm flexible here.
7. Something I can wear to work. However, I've garnered the reputation of being the "dressy" one in the office simply because I opt to wear a tie Monday through Thursday. So the bar being set here isn't terribly high.
Stuff I like: the momentum M1 divers, some of the bigger seikos (not the sub 40mm Seiko 5 dress watches but the monsters and miscellaneous divers), some of the bulova marine stars (I know a lot of these are probably out of my price range, but that's the general style I like).
Stuff I don't like: pepsi bezels--they remind me too much of America's red state/blue state political discord, mesh bands, narrow bands, anything with gold accents, overly busy dials (citizen skyhawks give me migraines)
Thanks for suggestions!