WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

The official "Melbourne" affordable hand built flieger thread - Now proudly on offer to WUS :-)

21K views 152 replies 48 participants last post by  SKrishnan 
#1 · (Edited)
The official "Melbourne" affordable hand built flieger thread - Now proudly on offer to WUS :)

[THIS THREAD APPROVED BY ERNIE ROMERS, SITE OWNER]

**UPDATE** Website now live!

Melbourne Custom Watches
Melbourne Custom Watches

Hi all,

I've recently decided to turn my passion for building watches for friends and family into something more, and as a result I'm now proud to offer my hand assembled flieger/pilot style watches to you all on WUS and beyond :)

My goal was to provide both Swiss and Sea-Gull handwind movement pieces which are a cut above the generic eBay clones with poor finish and bargain basement "P74" movements (you know what I'm talking about!) at a price point that doesn't break the bank.

I pondered whether to post this in the pilot sub-forum however seeing as I've spent most of my time here I decided on F71 :)

The idea is that I will post up pieces that are finished as well as in progress, and if there is interest I will take pre-orders.

::About the watches::

The basic specs of the watches I will be offering at first are as follows:

Case: 44mm (excluding crown) 316L stainless steel, sand blasted and hand finished by myself.
Glass: Either double AR domed sapphire or hardened mineral glass on the top with a mineral glass display caseback
Movement: ETA 6497/8 handwind of various finishes (gold, steel, hammered/brushed etc) or Sea-Gull ST36 handwind (decorated).
Dial: Type A or Type B super-lume
Hands: Pilot style super-lume (hour, minute, small seconds).
Strap: High quality leather strap with sandblasted buckle. I am still searching for the best quality straps I can put on for an affordable price! Currently I'm using mainly Hirsch and Meyhofer, but this may vary on availability.

Finally, all watches will ship in a display box, of course.

:: Prices - All in AUD ::
As each watch may vary based on what I put into it in terms of movement etc, pricing will be on a per piece basis.

However, generally the pricing shall be around:

$425 for a hammered finish Swiss 6498 movement piece, including sapphire glass and a high quality leather strap

$260 for a decorated Sea-Gull ST36 movement piece, mineral glass and high quality leather strap (+$35 for sapphire glass).

::Shipping::
Shipping (from Melbourne, Australia) will be $10 within Australia or $20 for the rest of the world (add $5 for registered).

:: How to order ::
For available watches, please PM me with the reference number listed below of the piece you are interested in and I will organise a total including your preferred method of shipping.

All sales will be via PayPal for buyer peace of mind.

If you would like to pre-order a piece please PM me with your preferred options and I will get back to you with a price and turnaround time.

::Currently available::

Please visit the Melbourne Custom Watch website for currently available pieces:

Currently Available - Melbourne Custom Watches

Thanks guys - I hope that you all enjoy these as much as I've enjoyed building them :)

Cheers,

Suj.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Re: The official "Melbourne" affordable hand built flieger thread - Now proudly on offer to WUS :)

** WATCH GIVEAWAY!!! **

Yep, you read right. In the spirit of launching my custom flieger initiative I will be giving away one of my pieces to a lucky WUS member!

Details of the watch:

(This should give you an idea as to what the Sea-gull movement pieces look like!)

Case: 44mm sandblasted (standard as per other pieces)
Movement: Sea-Gull ST36 decorated with small seconds at 6 o'clock.
Glass: Sapphire on top, mineral glass caseback
Dial: Type A superlume
Hands: Pilot style superlume
Strap: Grey leather with sandblasted Pre-V buckle.

Watch Watch accessory Analog watch Fashion accessory Jewellery

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Metal Jewellery

:: Details of the giveaway ::

OK - so this is how this is going to work :)

The first person to PM me closest to 10am Melbourne time (AEST) this Wednesday 12th June (Tuesday night for you US folks) will be the winner.

Nice and simple ;)

#3 ·
Re: The official "Melbourne" affordable hand built flieger thread - Now proudly on offer to WUS :)

Beautiful watch! I would totally buy this if it were smaller. That's just me, though - 44mm is perfect for many, and I think the Sea-Gull ST36 is a great value. Why not sapphire for the ST36 as well, for a bit more money? I think that would be the sweet spot for many people. Great work, this isn't an easy venture. Wishing you great success. :-!

#5 ·

Beautiful watch! I would totally buy this if it were smaller. That's just me, though - 44mm is perfect for many, and I think the Sea-Gull ST36 is a great value. Why not sapphire for the ST36 as well, for a bit more money? I think that would be the sweet spot for many people. Great work, this isn't an easy venture. Wishing you great success. :-!
Thanks!

Yep, I'll be making some ST36 model watches with sapphire for an extra $35.

#8 ·

Wow, really nice. Diggin' that type A.

44 is a little big for my tastes too, but they look like great deals for the money.

Best of luck with the venture!

#19 ·

Wow this looks awesome. I really like the A type dial, doesn't cut in on the 5 or 7. Not to mention that seems like a steal for a handwind ETA 6497/8 flieger...good job mate. Hope this takes off for you.

#22 ·

you'll be getting a PM tomorrow morning!

I think 44mm is a little big for me but in saying that i dont have anything tht size so may be interested in giving it a go!

#23 ·

you'll be getting a PM tomorrow morning!

I think 44mm is a little big for me but in saying that i dont have anything tht size so may be interested in giving it a go!
I originally thought 44 was going to be too big for me and look where I ended up :)

#24 ·

You're really killing me! I currently already have 4 watches on pre-order. Now, I may have to add another one. Regardless, congrats on taking your hobby to the next level and best of luck to you.

#25 ·

You're really killing me! I currently already have 4 watches on pre-order. Now, I may have to add another one. Regardless, congrats on taking your hobby to the next level and best of luck to you.
Apologies :)

If you are interested but are looking for something in particular regarding movement or strap etc PM me with your request ;-)

#27 · (Edited)

hey great to see an Aussie starting up a lil watch related venture. Those look great! Best of luck mate! Unfortunately I won't be able to partake as I'm currently contemplating a Stowa Flieger but I'm sure you'll do well :)

Slighty off topic:

If one of the Mods is reading this and if it isn't against Forum rules I wonder if it would be a possibility to sticky threads such as this, the G. Gerlach thread, the Official Lew & Huey thread and other such threads. I know we already have a lot of stickies and I fully understand (and support) the initiative to keep the number of stickies to a minimum but it seems to me that these threads warrant sticky status due to their nature...

p.s. will definitely be getting in on the giveaway action though :-D

#28 ·

hey great to see an Aussie starting up a lil watch related venture. Those look great. Best of luck mate! Unfortunately I won't be able to partake as I'm currently contemplating a Stowa Flieger but I'm sure you'll do well :)

Slighty off topic:

If one of the Mods is reading this and if it isn't against Forum rules I wonder if it would be a possibility to sticky threads such as this, the G. Gerlach thread, the Official Lew & Huey Thread and other such threads. I know we already have a lot of stickies and I fully understand (and support) the initiative to keep the number of stickies to a minimum but it seems to me that these threads warrant sticky status due to their nature...
Thanks! I'm really grateful for all the kind feedback given so far :)

Agree re: stickies as well.

#29 · (Edited)

Hi Suj,

These look great and best of luck with it.

That is a really generous giveaway too..

I've been wishing I could buy a manual with a visible movement for my father for a while now, but sadly have no money left for more watches. He and I are both watch lovers without the budget for collecting. Hopefully I'll be able to send a PM through tomorrow morning if my unpredictable job allows it. Setting alarm on phone now. Fingers crossed...

Cheers mate. Dunk

#30 ·

Hi Suj,

These look great and best of luck with it.

That is really generous giveaway too..

I've been wishing I could buy a manual with a visible movement for my father for a while now, but sadly have no money left for more watches. He and I are both watch lovers without the budget for collecting. Hopefully I'll be able to send a PM through tomorrow morning if my unpredictable job allows it. Setting alarm on phone now. Fingers crossed...

Cheers mate. Dunk
sigh...ok ok I guess I won't be entering the giveaway then :) Best of luck mate. Hope you get it and that it brings both you and your father a lot of joy :)

#34 ·

really? Krish is the one doing the giveaway and I get the award!? :p hehe always good to see some fellow aussies on here...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.